I found a big hole today! Im baffled

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030, XP Deus, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a grove in a canyon where William Jennings Bryan had a 2 day political rally in the 1890's. Didn't expect to find much, planned on digging everything. I was in Furnas Co Nebraska, in the area where there was a big meteorite shower in the 40's.

I found a shotgun shell.

I also got a hit on my at pro running the big nel coil. It was solid from 92-94 and deep. Dug, Dug, Dug and dug some more. I ended up at the end of my arm deep. My White pinpointer was giving me grief. Sometimes it would indicate something almost everywhere in the hole and in the tailings. Other times it was silent everywhere. New batteries, literally yesterday. The hole was 2.5ft deep and I was still getting my solid, tone at 92-94 and not a very big imprint either. I put my nel sharpshooter coil on and just hand tested the hole. Not a dang blip on the tone with the sharpshooter. But if I held the pinpointer function with the sharpshooter in the hole I could pinpoint something big still below the bottom of the hole, and maybe a little to the side. Surely the big nel can't pick up anything good that deep can it??

Here is a video of the pinpointed giving me grief. Anybody ever seen anything like that?

Upvote 2

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wonder if maybe there is a lot of iron or magnetic dust, bring a magnet back maybe you might solve your beeping, just a wild guess.:dontknow:

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20151025_201913.jpg

Possibly, very strange for this area to have iron dust. I forgot to mention all the different types of rocks I pulled out of that hole. I don't know how its possible. Clean flint, thin crusty flint, white sandstone which falls apart like chalk, black rounded stone, white quartz looking stone, red granite looking stones, thin flat bright red clay looking stones.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Digga, digga, digga don't give up now Man! That is a mystery. If you get a chance get back there and recheck the hole. Do any of the rocks you pulled out of the dig site set off your machine? It gets very interesting when you started pulling flint and other stones that might have been used by Native Americans years ago.
Good Luck,
Phil

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Boom Baby! Bring in a back-hoe!

You said meteorites hit there? If so, yep, iron everywhere. Look for the iron rocks from space.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the rocks or any of the tailings will set off the machine. I was going to see if my buddy from KS would bring his deus up sometime to double check me. I can see myself ending up with that 60ft hole like the guy in CA in his yard!! lol My daughter thought I lost my mind. I will definitely have to bring a small bucket or scoop next time.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Most meteorites are composed partially or mainly of Iron. If there was a significant meteor shower there in the 1940's, you may be picking up dust and small pebbles from that meteor shower. Now, if you can locate a fairly big piece and have it authenticated, you could be in the money! On another thought, what about the possibility of Gold being there and you are picking up a pocket of small nuggets. I think you should bucket up as much of the dirt as possible that gives a signal, then take it home and sift it out or even pan some of it with a Gold Pan.

Frank

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could sure try to pan it, but gold out here is unheard of. Wouldn't ring in at 92-94 either. It would show up in the 60-70 range on my at pro I think.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't a meteorite ring up in the iron range on the detector instead of up high like this one?

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There really isn't much out in Furnas County.
One thought I had was your equipment might be getting interference, possibly from a nearby AM, FM or TV broadcast transmitters (since those are usually pretty powerful).
But that's probably not it.

The nearest stations are up in Arapahoe and Cambridge, and none of them are particularly strong.
Any chance you were in, under or near a radio tower? (Even a short cell tower? i.e., 200-300 foot tall)?
A guess.

The meteorite theory may have more luck.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be on to something. Hours of research later..... Turns out the meteorite fall here was an aubrite, chalky white stone that easily crumbles. Very low in iron, but the main stone did include some other metals in parts of the stone. The white chalky stone in my pic looks an awful lot like the "norton county meteorite" if you search pics. I did notice my pinpointer didn't make any fuss until I got down there around that white stone, and once I powdered part of it off it started beeping. Doubt I can sleep tonight!

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No towers anywhere near me. Or power lines even.

This tiny thing is 65 grams. I don't even want to think about the possibility if it is a meteorite and the real stone is still down there.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the magnet out today. It was iron particles, some as large as #4 shot, but not any particular shape. Tons of iron dust, unheard of out here. Dug down to 4 feet and found some green flint looking rock. The rock broke into many smaller parts during the process of lifting it out. Bread box size. No response when I go over the green rocks, but the hole has no response now either. Found a couple other unique rocks in the same hole today. Im still lost, but no signal now so I guess its done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread