I found a button

clemmieharber

Jul 14, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is this button?? It has a crown on top and word that read GILT all on the back.

Screenshot_1.png

Upvote 12

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello and welcome to Treasure Net!!! Your button is likely an 1812 to 1820 era button. Congratulations on a great find. I hope there are many more for you!!!

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Save!! Welcome from NC :hello:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Clemmiharber asked:
> How old is this button?? It has a crown on top and word that read GILT all on the back.

I see nobody has answered your question in the 38 hours since you posted it... so I will. Your find is what button-collectors call a brass 1-piece flatbutton. When that specific type of button has a backmark written in raised lettering, it dates from sometime between about 1790 and the mid-1830s. The crown in the backmark is a British Royal Crown, signifying British manufacture.

Note, for anybody who cares:
Same button but the backmark has INDENTED lettering dates a bit later, from about 1810 to the mid-1830s.

Last edited:

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Clemmiharber asked:
> How old is this button?? It has a crown on top and word that read GILT all on the back.

I see nobody has answered your question in the 38 hours since you posted it... so I will. Your find is what button-collectors call a brass 1-piece flatbutton. When that specific type of button has a backmark written in raised lettering, it dates from sometime between about 1790 and the mid-1830s. The crown in the backmark is a British Royal Crown, signifying British manufacture.

Note, for anybody who cares:
Same button but the backmark has INDENTED lettering dates a bit later, from about 1810 to the mid-1830s.

I care and have copied this useful information, CBG. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions