i found a captains wheel (thanks pete) and varias size nails and things (?)

Jul 10, 2011
florida
DSCF1204.jpg

i am new to this site, and am fascinated! i found it snorkeling, and some of it was in the mangroves.

seventyonedragonflies

Attachments

• DSCF1205.JPG
    DSCF1205.JPG
    472.5 KB · Views: 843
  • DSCF1212.JPG
    DSCF1212.JPG
    476.2 KB · Views: 841
  • DSCF1210.JPG
    DSCF1210.JPG
    471 KB · Views: 824
Upvote 0

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Re: i found a sextant and varias size nails and things (?)

Welcome to TNet, I sent you a PM take a look and let me know how it turns out. :icon_thumright:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

YEP DEF OLD -- YOUR ON TO SUMPIN GOOD. :icon_thumleft:

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350

Great stuff!!!! Make sure you take care of them. They don't like being out of water.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to Tnet. :thumbsup: Looks like you found somebodies old boat.I can't tell much from the pics. but the one Item is part of a ship/boat wheel with the wooden spokes rotted off.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Welcome to Tnet SDF! :hello:

You did well finding the Sextant! :notworthy:
Now I'd get somebody to do some electrolysis on it and attempt to preserve what's left of it! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you! :icon_thumright:
Dave

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Am I missing something????? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: ??? I know the pic. are big but I've not seen it yet. :-\

Attachments

• il_570xN.245214489[1].jpg
    il_570xN.245214489[1].jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 526
  • il_570xN.245183528[1].jpg
    il_570xN.245183528[1].jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 485

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

welcome to tnet.. lots of experience on this site...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

if you find any copper type sheet metal with "nail" holes in it --its "outside" sheathing for the wooden hulled vessels to prevent wood eating worms from boring thru the hulls. :wink: :icon_thumright: --

wood hulled veseels were the standard till the civil war --after the civil war metal hulled steam powered vessels slowly but surely pushed the old wooden hulled sail vessels --out of bussiness * a few old wooden hulled vessels ecked out a bare bones existance but most were driven out of the profietible trades. --many were just taken somewhere , stripped of anything good or valuible for scrap purposes and "dumped" and left to rot away during the 1865 to 1900 era.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not here to try & put nobody down for helping or finds. :nono: But I will add that your finds that I see look 20th century.So it's up to you to decide is it worth getting hurt over somebodies old junk yacht. :icon_scratch: May of been lost in a storm or as stated & most likely abandoned as that was common all the way up through the 1970's here as many old boats were just towed up creeks & sorts to be left to the enviroment.Also wood boats are not uncommon all the way well into the 1980's even today still being built (all kinds & types).Anyway long story short your yacht wheel was most likely made by Wilcox-Crittenden in Connecticut.And would have been a rope drum wheel for stirring.Although Wilcox-Crittenden have been around since 1847-present that style wheel you have was steel with a chrome plateing & chrome plating not being widely used till the 1920's purdy much speaks for itself.Not to mention all the nails & other items I see in your pic. don't jive with me being any earlier.
Take Care,
http://www.angelfire.com/wy/mttools/Wilcox-Crittenden.htm
http://www.chinaseatrading.com/resu...1=1&totalRows_Recordset1=13&Search=wheels_key
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Welcome :hello:
Are you metal detecting or eyeballing?
shipwrecks and hulks can be great hunting sites, Keep your eyes peeled for the green & yellow items :o

OP
OP
seventyonedragonflies
Jul 10, 2011
florida

well, wow!
i can't thank you all enough for the info!
and out of which we've concluded it is indeed a wheel. i am still excited that i found it, but even more so that i know what it is now.
allen, texjim, and dave, antiquarian thank you. ivan salis, pete,(still reading the sites you sent) wow, an history lesson to boot! how very informative, greatly appreciated.
and steelheadwill... what is the green, and yellow items... oh gold! what is green? oh and i didn't use a detector, just eyes.

and michael, thanks so much for helping me get started here!

thanks again all ya'll,

k.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are more than welcome :wink: on my part.Just wanted you to beaware of what you were dealing with,& not go get hurt on something that most likely would not be worth it.I mean you could go fart around with something like that looking for something thats most likely not going to be there stab yourself on some old rusty junk or worst.Just the hazards involved & the thought of a big doctor bill should be enough. ;D Save that for when you find something (OLD WRECK) real good. :thumbsup: Best to Ya,& hope to see more from ya.
Take Care,

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

seventyonedragonflies said:
well, wow!
i can't thank you all enough for the info!
and out of which we've concluded it is indeed a wheel. i am still excited that i found it, but even more so that i know what it is now.
allen, texjim, and dave, antiquarian thank you. ivan salis, pete,(still reading the sites you sent) wow, an history lesson to boot! how very informative, greatly appreciated.
and steelheadwill... what is the green, and yellow items... oh gold! what is green? oh and i didn't use a detector, just eyes. and michael, thanks so much for helping me get started here!

thanks again all ya'll,
k.

You're off to a good start by posting your finds here K! :wink: The more you post the more you'll learn. Tnet has some of the most experienced metal detectorists in the world as members on their site! We all have information and life experiences to share, all you have to do is ask the questions! :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting,
Dave

OP
OP
seventyonedragonflies
Jul 10, 2011
florida

great points, both of you. Dave, i am so happy with things i am learning here! and like i said the pirate is coming out of me, and i want treasures! haha. i think though, pete has a grand thought of the dangers. which, i may, or may not have thought of.. and regardless, it is a treasure to me!
pete, where i found the things was clear, and not deep at all. tide was out, and knee deep for a long way. but i sure can see how more careful i need to be. i actually found the big piece on sand where the previous days storm had washed away a ton of sand, in roots.

i think i will have a new hobby thanks to here, and ya'll!

karen

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions