I found a good website for finding new potential metal detecting sites.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking at a website for GPS users that play "geocaching" games. (They look for items left by others using GPS coordinates.

While looking at a description of a nearbye hidden geocache, I read this. "You will pass by an old cellar hole on the right of the path." Of course I immediately ran out the door with my detector and my handhelp GPS.

I have found numerous other nearby sites that I never knew existed using the website. You simply add your address and it will sort out hidden caches by distance to your home. The site above was less than a mile from my home, and I never knew it existed. I thought it was private property, but it turned out to be a little known park.

Here is the link: http://www.geocaching.com/. You will need to register, but it is free.

Good Luck!

gotreasurehunting

Jan 8, 2008
West Monre, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I heard about that on the Travel Channel last night as a matter of fact. I wonder whether of not there are many people in my area that would be into that kinda of thing, but hey, I've been surprised before.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Are you finding anything worthwhile doing it this way?

gotreasurehunting

Jan 8, 2008
West Monre, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I've never done it myself. I only learned about it just yesterday. I went to the website Neil in West Jersey posted, typed in my zip code, and was shocked that several people in my area are actually doing this. I think that people just put out little treasures to find. More like a game than anything, I guess. Could be fun. I'll definitely be participating in my area soon.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Well that's cool. I'll check it out too. :)

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Neil, that is the best new idea I have heard in a while.

Very resourceful.

I'll bet you get the gold!

R M P T R

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not Geo Caching is another one of my many hobbies and it is great fun. I got involved so I could learn how to use a hand held gps unit. I am currently a member of geocaching.com and enjoy the activity, but I have to hand it to you I really had not thought of the correlation between the two. Good job !!!!!!!!!!!!

fccdfed

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Pepper2004 said:
Are you finding anything worthwhile doing it this way?

The site has led me to numerous places that
A) I thought were private property or
B) I did not know existed

I have found a lot of silver and old copper coins as a result...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread