I found a live hand grenade today in Golden Gate Park...

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
**UPDATED**
I went back yesterday and found some fragments of the grenade. I also inserted the photos into the text so that it reads a little better!

Here is the news clip recorded from my tv:

okay...
So I began my day driving by some sidewalk tear-out work I have been hitting but the guys were working on newly developed land. I continued on to a park I wanted to hit but there were a ton of pre-schoolers on the field. I kept driving and went by Baker Beach. There were a ton of volunteers picking up trash. Next stop: Golden Gate Park.

I was driving around looking for any signs of recent work but didn't see anything. I did see massive piles of mulch stacked up at the Polo Fields.
e13980.gif

Next thing I knew I was at a spot where I met up with Chris (Nicasian), MT and SF Mike last Wednesday. I pulled over and parked and it looked to me like they had cleared a little more brush away from a homeless encampment that they have been cleaning up. I decided to swing on it.

There is a bunch of iron in this place but MT and SF Mike have pulled some silver out of there. I pulled up a big metal plate and found this underneath it. It is a Bromo bottle and there are no chips or cracks in it. Very pretty bottle:
bromo1.jpg

I wasn't there but 20 minutes, and about two minutes after the Bromo bottle I get a signal that sounds interesting enough for me to dig. Kinda nulling out but a squeek of a high tone in there. I grab the Lesche and carve a plug even though the dirt is pretty loose. It is held together by small roots.

I pull the loose plug out and plunge my hands into the hole to pull out the rest of the dirt and I grab on to a large heavy object. As any of us would do, I hold the object in my left hand and start brushing away the dirt with my right. Mind you I am on my knees. After about 5-10 seconds of vigorous rubbing, I see the dimples in the grenade. I dropped the thing on the ground and dropped my headphones and hauled ass up the hill to get away from it. As I am running up the hill I see a park gardener driving by and I start yelling at him. He stops and I tell him the story. He comes down and looks at it and says, "Yeah, that looks like a grenade." He gets his boss to come down and his boss says, "Definitely a grenade." He gets on his phone and calls the cops.

This was the first picture I took while waiting for the boss gardener to come down. In the clear area just right of center. I didn't want to get too close:
grenade far1.jpg

After about fifteen minutes with it not blowing up I came in close for this photo:
Grenade1.jpg Grenade2.jpg

e park guys were fantastic by the way. They know of us, don't mind us at all, and they are funny guys.

Next the first cop shows up, looks at it and says, "Yep, that is a hand grenade." He gets on the radio and asks whoever how far everyone should stand back and they say 50 feet. He starts putting up crime scene tape. Here is a photo of the tape extending down to the road. All I can hear is sirens in every direction.
crimescenetape1.jpg

All of a sudden multiple cop cars start pulling up, fire trucks, an ambulance and a "stringer" for the Channel 2 news. Right after that they close down the street from both ends.

After about 10-15 minutes the bomb squad arrives. The guy in the photo is the park supervisor who has been working on clearing out that homeless encampment.
bombsquad1.jpg

The bomb squad guys start asking me a bunch of questions about the grenade and I say, "Would you like to see a picture?" I show them the close up photo and he says, "Oh yeah, That's a Mark II grenade."

The next hour or two goes by really slowly. Earlier the stringer guy had tried to talk to me and I blew him off. We were the only two civilians on the scene so I went over to talk to him and he says he is with KTVU channel 2. Since that is the news I watch every day I tell him I'll give him a quick statement.

They bust out the robot (I have video of this thing) and then I have to go over to the guy controlling the robot to help him find it. We get results in about five minutes. Now the robot is parked directly in front of the grenade. Next, the other bomb squad guy, the same guy who eventually puts on the suit to place the explosives, this guy goes up with a shovel and digs a big hole about ten feet away from the grenade. Although they told me to back off at this point, I think they had the robot pick up the grenade and drop it into the hole the guy dug.

More time passes. The lead bomb guy is on the radio with headquarters and they need to clear the area. They call in the motor bikes and the explosives. The explosives arrive with the motorcycle team and an FBI guy. The explosives arrive in the back of this pickup truck in a container in back. The explosives do not travel with the bomb squad.
Cavalry1.jpg explosivesarrive1.jpg

After the motorcycle guys clear the area, the guy suits up in the bomb suit and drags some cable in his right hand from the command post all the way to the grenade.
brave man1.jpg

Meanwhile, my car is parked about 75 feet from where this thing is gonna blow. You can see it way down on the left. The grenade is across the street and maybe 75 feet from the road.
lonely car1.jpg

Up until this point I have been standing around on the sidewalk about 100 yards away from the grenade. As they are getting ready to detonate the thing, they put me into the Park Patrol car with the head of the GGP park patrol and his partner. They have their police radio on. The guy in the bomb suit comes back. Over the radio they ask everyone to turn on their sirens. Sirens are going off all around me. Next thing I hear is "Fire in the hole" repeated three times. Immediately after that, BOOM!! It was loud! Dirt shot up straight in the air about 40 feet. As I'm still sitting in the car with the police radio, dispatchers start saying. "A caller called in about an explosion in Golden Gate Park."

So after they blow the thing up a cop drives up to where we are parked and he tells me the bomb technician guy wants to talk to me. I get out of the car. He asks me to tell him my story again. When he hears the part where I dropped the grenade on the ground his eyes got big and he says, "You dropped the grenade?" He proceeds to tell me it was definitely a live grenade. Next time, don't pick up a live grenade, etc. He also asked me if I heard any other signals that could have been grenades. "Did you hear anything else that sounded like this one did?"
I explain to the guy that it gave off a crappy signal and that there are signals every time you swing the coil. I kept trying to explain to the guy that I wouldn't have picked it up if I knew it was a grenade.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Sorry I don't know how to insert the photos into the text so that the pictures have more context.

************************************************** ************************************
Updated:
I went back to the spot where they blew up the grenade and I recovered some fragments. See the picture below:
fragments2.jpg

Attachments

• grenade med1.jpg
    grenade med1.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 2,751
  • fragments2.jpg
    fragments2.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:
Upvote 26

jollyone

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some crazy stuff without pics I would have thought u were lying

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that is odd. wonder what in the world a live grenade was doing there I was getting ready for the part where they found out it had been defused! i was just talking earlier today to a guy that wanted to sell me ketchum grenade from the civil war you should look them up if you never seen one they are pretty kewl looking! glad you stayed safe that could have def. been a horrible outcome you really should be thankful!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh also that is a very nice bottle you found! good job on that and staying alive! :occasion14:

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I almost want to vote banner on this, just so I can see that grenade on the front page. :-)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an interesting day !
I would have thrown it in my Finds bag & took it home to clean up
thinking it was one
of those '60 lighters :icon_thumright:

Nice Bottle find by the way :notworthy:

HappyRyan

Mar 14, 2013
Midland, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Crazy Stuff... Glad you lived to tell the story. Be Safe!:skullflag:

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who said this hobby isn't fun. I bet your glad it didnt go off when you dropped it, since we now know it was a live one..(p.s. I'd stay away from that area., you might find a land mine next time). You can now cross off "grenade" from your finds list.....

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, just goes to show you never know what might pop up next.

Favorite line from the article :

""Things turn up in places from time to time. It's hard to explain why."

That pretty much sums up the "what is it section" :laughing7:

badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another reason to be thankful that there are some hobbyists out there searching these areas. Unstable explosives could have detonated injuring or possibly killing someone. Kudos

Gemini Alpha

Nov 19, 2012
Europe
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, welcome in the Club. :)

Had this one removed by the Police few months ago. But they werent nearly as motivated as yours. Had two Police officers looking at it, saying "yep thats a handgranade" and driving home again. Next day, Bomb Squad picked it up.

granate funde 282.jpg

Great Story btw, thanks a lot for sharing! Kinda weird that you found a grenade in America in such a public place. Must have been one hell of a gangfight. lol. And that Bottle is really awesome! bye GA

Last edited:
OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a link to the 5:00 news story:

I recorded it off of my television.

robEg

Greenie
May 3, 2012
Awesome! I say dug it up and nothing happened, made the news and got to see it blow up, Banner!!!!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Pictures:thumbsup:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a wild day detecting right there. I'm glad you are ok friend. That was a dangerous find if I do say so myself.

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, that's some crazy stuff! Nothing like playing hot potato all by yourself ;) Made for an exciting day, yeah?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread