I found a V nickle

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a great weekend, I will post better Pictures tommrow Im still shaking!!! Red did not help!!! A neighbor brought over a few dresses for her to try on!!! Needless to say I have No energy to post tonight!!!!

I found My oldest coin to date A 1910 V Nickle!!! It was more exciting than My last gold ring find!!!!

Now I understand the excitment of finding the Old coins!!! I knew it was older but not that old!!!!

Is there any way to clean it up better to show the date better!!! I dont want to destroy it But I would like to see the date Better???

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 505
Upvote 0

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Chug. I can't help with the cleaning, but it is good to know we are still pulling some older stuff in the PNW. :icon_thumright:

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Chug!!!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
steelheadwill said:
Wow!
with all your jewelery finds, I don't see why you don't find more old coins :icon_scratch:
Hoping more to come your way :hello:
Take a look in 'Cleaning and Preservation' for tips on Cupronickel coins.
here's the latest tip: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,391759.0.html

I have surface cleaned this park, just this week I'm starting to go low and slow listening to the very faint signals, and digging the faint repeatable ones!!! :read2:
Plus my hearing aid is not comfortable when I'm congested up. :-\
allot of time I don't where it, that might change I'm not sure if i would have heard this one without it!!!
It was over 6 inches down ;D

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Glad you got a V, Chug. Nice, aren't they?

My experience with nickels in the PNW is they are toasted quickly by acid rain. Pitting means poor quality. Usually can't get even the metal value out of 'em because of the Fed "Don't melt, don't sell" nickel policy. Still worth 5c, but not much more. Still VERY nice to find, though.

Regarding earphones: I never hunt without the best quality pair of earphones I can find. Often adds 2-3 inches in depth, and much easier to identify good targets with. Yeah, they can be a hassle when digging, but the deeper finds are worth it IMO.

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuberale said:
Glad you got a V, Chug. Nice, aren't they?

My experience with nickels in the PNW is they are toasted quickly by acid rain. Pitting means poor quality. Usually can't get even the metal value out of 'em because of the Fed "Don't melt, don't sell" nickel policy. Still worth 5c, but not much more. Still VERY nice to find, though.

Regarding earphones: I never hunt without the best quality pair of earphones I can find. Often adds 2-3 inches in depth, and much easier to identify good targets with. Yeah, they can be a hassle when digging, but the deeper finds are worth it IMO.
Headphones would work but the I wouldnt be able to Hear what is going on around Me !!! Some of the bums and Homeless PPl are Scary at times, I would Rather hear them Comming up behind me than Where headphones

Have had a few come up behind me at a fast pace usually 2 or more at a time Good thing for great Peripheral vision I spin around with My detector In one Hand And the Mighty AP digger in the other pointing towards their face Make a few comments to them and they back away I will drop My pinpointer to the Ground to do this If I have time I slip It into My pocket before Hand!!!! I'm Not a bad guy I am Just Very careful!!!! HH Chug

Guess I better Find A Hunting Buddy!!!

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice V!

I just recently found one that was all red. I put it in vinegar and salt for 15 minutes then scrubbed it with a soft toothbrush and washed it with soap and water after. It worked nicely.

Attachments

• Vbeforeafter.jpg
    Vbeforeafter.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 356

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the V nickel, I found My First one about a month ago in Tacoma, I used olive oil and left it as was...1899

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your V Nickle Chug. :hello2:
Happy & Safe Hunting to ya,
Roger

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Congrats on the V, Chug. They do make your heart race when they pop up! When you get it cleaned show us another picture of it with a before and after shot. :hello2: :hello2:

HH

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest: