I found an old quarter in the backyard.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I went to turn off the hose back in the dog lot and saw the edge of a coin in the sand. The hose has a pinhole that I taped up but leaks and shoots a jetstream of water straight down and has been digging a hole underneath the spigot for a few days. I could tell it was silver so I ran for the camera to film the unearthing. It's a 1912 Barber Quarter in pretty good condition.
IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

Upvote 0

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
That is awesome! I would definatley grab my detecor and work that yard for more! There is probably more there!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I would be searching the H E double toothpicks out of that place! Go get em! :thumbsup: jgas

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ok first great coin !! second never ever rub coins with dirt on em --scratches the surface messing them up collectorwize --hurts their collector value" --use water to wash away the grime -- then gentlely pat drywith clean towel rag --do not polish or "shine up" the coin screws up value as well. --now if you plan to keep it forever and want a "shiny" coin do what you like . but if you want to be able to sell it someday treat it nice for max bucks .

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
That looked so cool just sitting in the sand like that. Good eye! A detector would have never found that by those pipes. I will say when I heard that scratch sound of the thumb on the coin I almost screamed like a little girl and dropped the laptop. My wife looked at me and said "what?". Knowing she wouldn't understand I just said "nothin". Anyway amazing find.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I know! I wasn't thinking I just wanted to see what it was.

97 years old. I wonder how long it's been there...Was it dropped in 1920? 1930? 40? 90? My family has always owned this house, my great grandfather built it on family owned land that had a cabin way in back from before the Civil War(his wifes side of the family). 11 children were born and grew up in this house. My grandmother was the last of these children and she passed last year at 90. Before and during WW1 soldiers would use the creek to travel and do maneuvers. My grandmother said they camped out on the hillside overlooking the creek. She brought them cornbread and buttermilk when she was a little girl. All I have found there are nails and glass.

This is the part I like. You find something and it's nice and all but imagining how it got there is the best part for me.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start hosing down the rest of the yard you just may wash up some more. WTG....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread