I found my first half dime!!!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I got up early this morning without a clue where I was going but I knew I was going somewhere. I needed to work off the Thanksgiving dinners (both families!), so I bundled up because it was cold as a mofo outside and called Mike. We decided on one of our regular spots. I got there and boy, was it cold out! The wind was whipping up the air and blowing it under my coat up my back...ugh. I had my new wool-lined boots on and my big coat, and it only seemed to deflect the frigid temps a little. I began working an area I researched and, because it was so cold, I was picky about which signals I was going to dig. Getting on my knees on that cold ground was painful! It didn't take long before I scored my first silver, a '64-D Rosey. Not long later, Mike arrived and I told him that the area I was hitting might be productive. About one minute later, I got this odd signal that was bouncing everywhere but remained high. I dug the plug and when I flipped it over, immediately I saw another silver Rosey on the bottom of the plug. Before I could finish telling Mike what I had just found, I noticed another silver rim underneath the dime, and underneath that, another silver! I called to Mike so that he could see me extract the coins. He wasn't even done ground balancing yet. It was a nice spill of a '46-D Rosey and two Washingtons, a '45 and a '58-D. I wish I had a working camera, talk about a photoworthy opportunity.

Things slowed down for me from that point, even though Mike starting pulling keepers left and right, and Bill T arrived to join in on the action. I did find a very large token that rang up like a dollar/half dollar. It appeared to had been given away to someone by the American Numismatic Association in appreciation of their participation in National Coin Week. Yeah, ironic. Too bad it was badly whacked by a lawnmower. Pretty cool though.

ANYWAY, I bet you all want to hear about the half dime!!!! So I told Mike and Bill that I was going to find one more silver and then go home for the day. I walked around a bit and got a 7" penny signal. Not one to ignore deep penny signals, I dug it up. As soon as I opened the hole, I saw it! There on the bottom of the hole, my first half-dime ever! Ain't he a beaut??? :D :laughing7:

I hope everyone had a great holiday! Good luck this weekend, and stay warm.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 228

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Ok Joe, you got me back so no more heart-attack causing titles ok? :laughing7:
Man, when I read that I wasn't even going to post my finds for today. :o

But talk about great day of hunting, wow! Still got the 6x10 on there?

You know you have to go back and find the other half of that before you can count it as one,, j/k :laughing7:

That token is fantastic!!!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHY do you do that. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seeing the title sure pumped me up......

Wtg Joe.....on those finds

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
litefire56 said:
Ok Joe, you got me back so no more heart-attack causing titles ok? :laughing7:
Man, when I read that I wasn't even going to post my finds for today. :o

But talk about great day of hunting, wow! Still got the 6x10 on there?

You know you have to go back and find the other half of that before you can count it as one,, j/k :laughing7:

That token is fantastic!!!!

The 6x10 is still on. It's a good thing that changing coils is a pain, because I was going to change the 6x10 out for the stock after the first few days. I'm glad I gave it some more time!

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job buddy!!! Man you had me scared for a minute!!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nah, I knew where you were going. Was surprised to see it was silver though!

Nice spillage Man!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got me there twistidd..........L.O.L. Nice 4 1/2 silvers you dog

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least it wasn't a Key Date coin, I remember like last year in the Today's Finds, somebody found a beautiful 1909s (don't remember if it was a VDB) that got clipped by a lawnmower right above ole Lincoln's head. :tongue3: You might of seen it as he put it as his avatar on here. :tongue3:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT HALF DIME AND SOME OTHER GREAT SILVER COINS!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Haha, nice half dime Joe! Sweet haul there! Love the token the most though... that's gotta be a rare one, no?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread