I Found One Buck Today.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The skeleton was up on the bank and the skull/rack were in the middle of the creek. Unknown what caused its demise but I guess I could swing over the bones to see if a bullet was the culprit. I am drying the skull out now and will bleach it for future display. The antlers are beautiful and undamaged. I thought our hunters on the forum might enjoy the photo. Sub 8-)

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 8

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rack!

If a bullet/arrow was the cause of death then the hunter should be ashamed of his meager abilities...you wound it, you track it until found...end of story.

enjoy the hunt,
cc

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rack!

If a bullet/arrow was the cause of death then the hunter should be ashamed of his meager abilities...you wound it, you track it until found...end of story.

enjoy the hunt,
cc

I agree, Calvin. This big guy could have fed many people. Unfortunately, it just contributed to the obesity epidemic among turkey vultures of the Ozarks...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EHD has killed a lot of deer in the last month here in north central Ohio. Spread by a midge that thrived in our extra dry summer.

There is a Wildlife Area that's about 10 mi. long, by a mile or two wide along a creek and swamp, ariel survey found 80 dead deer.

One guy with 55 deer in a large pen nearby, lost 40. It seems to be centered around swampy areas.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...clip...it just contributed to the obesity epidemic among turkey vultures of the Ozarks...

LoL

Probably most hunters know this but that one might not have so I'll add that if you do mess up a shot and the game doesn't drop immediately, don't rush right in...give it a minute and the deer will often go to ground and expire in short order. If scared at this point it can bolt a considerable distance...

peace,
cc

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rofl.gif
good luck next hunt!!
rofl.gif

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a nice "high scoring" rack.....unless it was a natural death...the hunter should have found this deer....wounded animals will go to water all the time......nice find

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, looks like a muley. Nice and wide rack!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That must be the, "Rack of Ages .. Left for Thee"

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's what I call an 8-pointer... that would have made my day...

ruffneck

Apr 3, 2009
Kansas
Detector(s) used
DFX/M6, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EHD has also taken a toll on Kansas deer. Seems to affect mature bucks the most.
Deer affected by this terrible disease are usually found lying dead next to a source
of water, such as a stream or a pond

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I live in western N.C. There are quite a few that would want that on there wall. The county I live in has the most registered gun permits in the state!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been seeing some really nice bucks up here in New England. Still archery season, rifle and black powder season to follow. Husband will be going out during rifle season, hopefully will fill the deep freeze.

Nice 8-pointer!

Anita

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I just learned a few things about hunting, and deer diseases, and such. I love the patina on this skull, I personally wouldn't bleach it.

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you on the patina. The yellow color is from the skull being submerged in the creek. I set it out in the forest on my property for the beetles and ants to clean (there was still connective tissue on the skull.) Nature will do its thing and I will enjoy it later! 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread