I Found Something Rather Old - Ancient Maybe

missbliss

Jan 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI,

I've come into the possession of a rather old vase/jug made of pottery. It seems pretty old - ancient maybe. Anyway I need to ID it. Know where it came from, how much its worth and what it was used for. Any help with this appreciated. The reason I'm putting this post here - is simply because I could not find the right category to put it in. So I give you - The Mystery Jug - 6 inches height roughly 4 across.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    573.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    530 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    712.3 KB · Views: 80

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't answer your questions but There is a "What is It?" forum here that gets a lot of traffic from fairly knowledgeable people. I realize you already know it's a vase but you are more likely to get the answers you seek in that forum.
Good luck!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that would be your best chance to get info, what's it forum.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try the native artifact forum too!I am no expert on the subject,but my first impression would be american indian.Good luck!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I wonder what makes you think it is very old. Of course, we don't know where it was found, which sometimes is a clue. For example, if you dug it up in a field in Missouri, that might be very old.

I live in Mexico, and I see a variety of pottery that is not especially old at all.

You may have a very good reason for thinking it's old, but we can't tell what it is.

chazman

Jan 21, 2014
the sticks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the colours are a lot like the ancient greek pottery, but the designs are a more s.w. native motif... I'd check with Arizona, new mexico collections and see if you can find something similar.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
An American monochrome from most likely New Mexico but could be Hopi. A number of pueblos made monochrome pots. The markings will make it easier to id.
Is it signed on the bottom. If so it's newer but doesn't mean it has no value. An expert can tell you the pueblo, date, and sometimes the potter.
A warning, don't lift it from the top. Hold it like a melon. The pots were traditionally made with clay ropes and they can separate ruining the pot.
There's a lot of stuff on the Net about this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread