I found these cannons

pemarlo

Greenie
Apr 15, 2006
Hi guys:
I have found a wreck site with three iron cannons but one of them has a diagonal cut accross the barrell and the other a whole slice has been cut off, the third is complete, have you seen something like this before? do you have any explanation for those pieces gone? Check the pictures I took and please if you have any comments let me know.
pemarlo

Attachments

• copy 1.jpg
    copy 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 776
  • copy 2.jpg
    copy 2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 800
  • copy3.jpg
    copy3.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 773

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
More likely than not the cannons you found were old discarded ones that were carried on-board as ballast on a ship and were jettisoned for some reason, perhaps the ship ran aground or were not needed any more having picked up other freight. The revealing fact is that they were all apparently nonoperational.
Panfilo

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or quite simply natural corrosion. I've seen guns in the past that have been corroded completely through in different areas. Metallurgy was not an exact science 100 to 400+ years ago. Some minor flaw in the casting process or impurities in the metal could easily accelerate the process to account for what your seeing here. A lot of variables can affect corrosion rates.

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Panfilo said:
More likely than not the cannons you found were old discarded ones that were carried on-board as ballast on a ship and were jettisoned for some reason, perhaps the ship ran aground or were not needed any more having picked up other freight. The revealing fact is that they were all apparently nonoperational.
Panfilo
I would have a tendancy to agree with Panfilo. If the cut out section and the diagonal mark are man made, then I would strongly suspect that it was to mark a nonoperational cannon for whatever reason. The third one may simply be lying on its "mark" and not visual. Cannon as ballast were somewhat common and would be the first to be disgarded due to their weight.

OP
OP
P

pemarlo

Greenie
Apr 15, 2006
Thanks to you guys for your opinions I am agree that the cannons were ballast, but I was wondering if that could happened during a battle (cannon burst) and there is the reason of the wreckage, so I wanted to know if some of you had seen something like that before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread