I found this penny??

gdm40

Sep 9, 2011
I don't know if its a science experiment gone bad of if this made it out of the mint this way.

Further details:
It's slightly domed and the sides are heavily indented to the point of it looking like its rimmed.

That and coin star wouldn't accept it which is how it was found to begin with. :P

What is it? any ideas.

PS sorry had to re size the side view

Attachments

• Aluminum Penny Maybe 001.jpg
    Aluminum Penny Maybe 001.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 740
  • Aluminum Penny Maybe 002.jpg
    Aluminum Penny Maybe 002.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 741
  • 100_1456.jpg
    100_1456.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 0

MK111

Greenie
Aug 15, 2011
I would say it is a hammered coin. Maybe someone was going to make a small ring out of it.

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
I got a silver 1973 penny from Walmart a few years back. I thought that I had the holy grail. I took it to my local coin dealer, and he weighed it. It weighed the same as a regular 1973 copper penny. He said that some people would use a penny to test out their electrolysis plating kit. He said that it was worth a penny. I was a little bummed, but at least I had a penny. Have a coin dealer weigh it, and see if it is close to that year of penny. People can also use electrolysis to remove the copper on zinc pennies. I did it in high school years ago. Good luck, and I hope you find out the truth! :icon_thumright:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by the Coinstar guy that comes to my store and cleans it,that the machine does not take WW2 war penny's, and I belive it ,because that's where I've found all my WW2 penny's,12 of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread