I found today what I always find!

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Hello everyone. Im on my 2nd month MD'ing ..using the Ace 250. I am for the most part happy with the hobby and the Ace..I have a great, large, old park only a few blocks away from home that would take me literaly a year or more to completely search. And I actually think I'm one of the only people to search it!!..I think. Seems unlikely, but I am going to lay out my positives/negatives and reasoning on this.. I am looking for feedback/opinions!
This park dates to the turn of the century. It actually has a few older areas that I researched that date to around 1890. Sounds good right? I have lived next to it for 7 years and NOT ONCE have I seen anyone with a detector. My coinhunting experience has pretty much been the same every day..and I have been to this park about 30 times now: I park my car in a different spot each time..walk to the grass and turn on the Ace..and start finding coins immediately and never stop finding them till I leave. I can walk in a straight line and find coins about every 2-5 minutes...surface to 6-7 inches down. I have never been skunked..it doesnt seem to matter where I go or how short of a time I have to search..I always find more coins. That is my reasoning for it being un-searched..its literaly FULL of coins.
So what is my problem?
Over 300 coins..and only 2 wheaties and 2 silver roosevelts! The oldest coin is 1947! I'm having fun but... Clad clad clad!..The NEWEST area of this park was build in the 1920's! The oldest areas are from the 1800's! So I can only reason 2 things...my Ace is just passing by the older coins...or...someone else came by a long time ago and cleaned out all the old, good stuff. If this place was searched at all recently I don't think I would be finding stuff every 20 feet nonstop would I? Most dates are recent but late 1960's and 1970's pop up every day. Every day I leave with a pocketfull of change and Im happy..but I see all your posts about Mercury's and buffalo's and better..and I'm really wondering if the Ace can find those.
Settings:
The park is extremely trashy..I go with the "coins" setting, Im using the standard coil. I can go sens almost full..usually back 2 notches is stable.
Are older coins just waay scarcer even in older parks? Can the Ace find coins 8+ inches down? Is my reasoning for the park being virtually unsearched flawed? Do I need to go all metal and full sens and put up with nonstop chatter to get the good stuff?
If you live in Socal and have better than an Ace and are experienced..maybe we can meet up..I'm curious if my "spot" is or isnt such a secret and if you would walk out with some deep silver.

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marco...I have found 7 of my 9 mercs in 2-4"....I found one SLQ and it was down about 6" with the Ace250...So the machine will find them if they are there. I don't know if the ace will go to the 8" mark but like I said, most of mine have been much closer to the surface. Keep it up and I'm sure you will come away with the older coins, as soon as you hit the right spot..GL and HH.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
It sounds like you are right on track!

Now - I don't have a garrett... but - if you're only shooting coins, you're not gonna fiund any nickels... right?

Also - there is a good chance that the grounds have been groomed, by filling, or by removing of soil.

It really sounds like your doing well and have a spot that fills your pockets! Thats the whole idea! I fillmy pockets with nails and lead... and am happy about it! LOL

Hang in there... get to other sites where you don't have to discriminate... it'll come. plehbah below has some great advice.

Welcome to Treasure Net and keep on posting!

OP
OP
M

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Thx for the replies.
Coins has a "nickels" setting..sometimes I notch it out..sometimes I keep it on..the park is very, very trashy..the ace does sound much different for coins but with "nickels" on it squawks every 5 seconds non-stop.
I never considered re-grading or soil moving...that does make sense for much older coins not showing up..or maybe its just....not yet? Man I would listen to sounds virtually non stop on all metal....but does all metal really give you superior depth?

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
A lot of the time deeper coins wont ring is as coins. Depending upon the ground minerals and the angle the coin lies at,you may get signals that are more towards the iron range. You are possibly not digging them because they sound crappy. When you get deeper sounds they may just barely chirp but will repeat. They may also have a broken sound or not id properly from all directions. If you get a deeper sound like that start digging them you may be suprised. Id say keep working that park,if you are finding that much clad and allready 2 silvers I bet there are a ton of coins buried out there,acutally there are a ton of coins buried in every old park even the ones that get hunted alot,HH...Shoot

sonny60

Jul 20, 2007
Falmouth, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Your park may have been hit years ago. In the early 80's silver prices skyrocketed ($70-80 oz.). Every tom, dick, and harry bought detectors and tried to clean up on all the silver. They didn't get it all but they sure got a lot of it. There is still a lot of silver out there but you have to really hunt for it. You may try a smaller coil to get in places where the stock won't go or do like I do sometimes. If I feel a place is "hunted out" I go to all-metal and dig everything. Sometimes that silver coin is hidden by trash. Also all-metal under the right conditions will get a little more depth. However, most of the coins I find are in the 4-6 inch range. I am no pro but that is my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Thx again I am getting some info that makes sense.
I have to say I am ignoring almost all bad signals..if it sounds like crap and jumps around I pass...this park has thousands of bottle caps, ect..it is full every weekend with beer drinking mobs. A back-hoe would be needed if I actually dug everything, so I stick wih repeatable coin signals that at least jump from penny to above..once it jumps lower i keep moving..problem with that is that I am for sure missing nickels and gasp..Id sure hate to pass gold.
It is unreasonable of course to think I am the only person to have been here..this park is big..but it does have many areas..some not as easy to find. It makes sense that several detectorists have been here..but the frequency of finds does make me happily conclude that it is under-searched.
I guess I need to be patient and dig more "off-sounding" signals.

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hey,

My friend just got into metal detecting and I am showing him how to use his new ACE 250 machine. I have been at the hobby for five years and he is showing me up on his ACE and he has no experience in the matter at all. I too have an older park which dates back to the 1800s in my home town, but I have yet to recover anything older than the 1960s in the entire park....upon investigation I found that in the late 50s to early sixties the city had raised the level of the park with fill from demolished home sites and the soil level was heightened by almost two feet from one end of the park to the other. This may be what happened to your park as well. I have had most of my luck with old coins at schoolyards. Here in MI, I found that on the front side of a school is usually a brick that is inscribed with the date the school was built and this helps me gauge whether or not older coins may be present. My old middle school, which was built in the 1940s, has given up three Mercury dimes, two this year in the same hole less than two inches down in the soccer field. Now I have been over this soccer field for the last five years and have missed them every time until recently. I call metal detecting a patience game, I get skunked 8 out of 10 times I am out, but I never get dissapointed because eventually my patience will pay off and that one old coin I get will keep me going for another 100 runs. Just keep in mind that parks are not the only place to check, schoolyards are a haven of coins and jewelry and at an older school, kids back then were just like the kids of today and losing money everywhere, its just a matter of crossing their path where they were dropped. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Greg

pizzaman55792

Jun 16, 2006
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202, ace 250
i have the ace 250 also and have been working a very similar kind of park. I have had to go over the hot spots many times to clear out the trash and clad so the deeper signals could come through. I run my sens 1 notch from max and in all metal, silver and Wheaties that i dig at between 4-7 inches rarely give that nice constant belltone you will get on a coin at under 4 inches. yes running in all metal means tons of digging for lots of crap but those bouncy tones are how i get the silver. also after a good rain brings up signals that were not there when it was dry. I have found about 150 dollars in clad and about forty silver coins from this one park but i can still go to areas i hunted 20 times pull up junk and even still find coins but its taken alot of persistence to find them. bottom line is the ace will find treasure but you need to dig the trash as well.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Marco its just not you or the Ace! That is pretty much how my hunting goes. With the dfx though I can identify a nickel 8 out of 10 times. But the same thing everywhere I go...constant coin hits...anywhere from 0.0 to 7.5...but usually clad. If I don't get a coin hit within a five minute span...I am checking connections, rebalancing and so on. Some of the things I do...and you may want to also is try different parks... Sounds to me hitting the same park all the time maybe your problem. Hopefully you have other parks/areas you can hunt. I finally have stopped hitting the exact parks and areas and did have a 3 wheatie coin spill this week.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
You need to hunt spots that the earth has been disturbed or scraped. If you see irrigation systems going in, hit the trench piles and trenches. If you see sidewalk demolition going on in old areas, hit them, same goes for older homes.

If you plan on hutting old parks without much trash, you need a machine like the Mine Lab I, 2, or SE. Plus, almost all old parks have been hunted, and watch what you say and post on here, or your locations will be revealed. If you want to reveal the park, then please let me know it's name ;).

HH

OP
OP
M

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Thanks for more good info..one thing I have learned from your feedback is that much has changed in the area in the last 100 years..just because a park is at the same location doesnt mean it's makeup hasnt been altered..roadways..buildings..groundwork have all altered the surface and ground levels over the years. And of course other people have detected here..it's a large park in los angeles..and LA is a most crowded anthill. My clad success is probably due to that fact...a few hundred people in a park every weekend probably deposit another buck or 2 in change into the grass-bank every Sat-Sunday.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
marco said:
Thanks for more good info..one thing I have learned from your feedback is that much has changed in the area in the last 100 years..just because a park is at the same location doesnt mean it's makeup hasnt been altered..roadways..buildings..groundwork have all altered the surface and ground levels over the years. And of course other people have detected here..it's a large park in los angeles..and LA is a most crowded anthill. My clad success is probably due to that fact...a few hundred people in a park every weekend probably deposit another buck or 2 in change into the grass-bank every Sat-Sunday.

Marco good point...I always hit it hard with my clad hunting on Mondays...after the weekend sports activities looking thru my logs usually my best day of week...

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
And of course other people have detected here..it's a large park in los angeles..and LA is a most crowded anthill. My clad success is probably due to that fact...a few hundred people in a park every weekend probably deposit another buck or 2 in change into the grass-bank every Sat-Sunday.

Hey Marco,

If you're detecting a large old park in the LA area, I'm sure me and my hunting buds have detected that park quite often this year. There's not an old park in the LA county that's a secret. There's about 8 Explorer hunters in your vicinity all pounding the turf at these parks. I've hit about 50 parks this year in the LA area, and pulled close to 600 silver coins out of them. My 5 hunting buds are each in the 100's in silver from these parks too. We don't dig shallow clad when we hunt, however I never pass up a quarter hit. We're listening for the deepies. 6-9+" targets. Many of those deep signals are being masked by trash or suface clad. That is the fun in finding those elusive signals. Is this the park with the old merry-go-round in it? Probably not, though, since you say you never see anyone detecting there. There's md'ers at the park with the merry-go-round at least once or twice a week. Send me a PM. We've found a pile of silver and wheats from the merry-go-round park this year already. That park has produced silver/wheats for my buddies who have been pounding it for years. It was estimated that over 5 million people attended that park back in 1950. The finds now are getting much tougher at that park, but they're still there. Diligence and a great machine are a must to find the good stuff today there.

Maybe we can meet up one day at your old park. I will let you listen to a deep coin signal, and see if you're Ace can pick it up.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread