I found what I thought was a neolithic stone tool in a stream in Colorado. To my surprise it turned out to be a Neanderthal tool.

OP
OP
Jackstraw20

Jackstraw20

Jan 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Shamen had a belief, if you can find something naturally formed in nature, it can be used to offer prayers or in rituals. For example, a stone formed by nature, to look like an organ of the body... would have special healing powers to cure that organ (if disease afflicted). You will find Nature's Art along with flint scrapers at Native American sites. What makes them an artifact, is the context of how and where these objects were found. Usually, the edges will be worked or shaped some while leaving the natural part intact.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Indians had a written language, they used to tell a story about events that happened, carved symbols we call Petroglyphs. A FB Native American group, once uploaded this petroglyph (possibly a chart or marker?) image for banner header. I broke it down into overlapping sections.

Attachments

• IndianPictureWriting.jpg
    IndianPictureWriting.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IndianPictureWriting-sect_1.jpg
    IndianPictureWriting-sect_1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IndianPictureWriting-sect_2.jpg
    IndianPictureWriting-sect_2.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IndianPictureWriting-sect_3.jpg
    IndianPictureWriting-sect_3.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IndianPictureWriting-sect_4.jpg
    IndianPictureWriting-sect_4.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 31

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunters tend to think, that any carved symbol found on stones/rock walls, in the desert southwest might point to treasure, that is NOT true... many sites are nothing more than primitive historical markers. Now the Spanish probably realized this, took advantage of people's ignorance and put treasure close or next to Indian sites.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I will along with better photos from my digital microscope that show the flint knapping

That's not flint, and it doesn't look to be a particularly suitable stone for knapping. Certainly not a first-choice lithic material to produce a scraper... in an area where much more suitable lithics should be available.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Indian Shamen had a belief, if you can find something naturally formed in nature, it can be used to offer prayers or in rituals. For example, a stone formed by nature, to look like an organ of the body... would have special healing powers to cure that organ (if disease afflicted). You will find Nature's Art along with flint scrapers at Native American sites. What makes them an artifact, is the context of how and where these objects were found. Usually, the edges will be worked or shaped some while leaving the natural part intact.
to talk about "indian shamen" as though Native American cultures shared some monolithic belief structures is a bit naive and simplistic.

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this tool I found over a year ago that I was unable to identify until now appears to be a Neanderthal scraping tool.

I know what you are thinking, there were not Neaderthals in North America 300,000 years ago. The tool is an exact match of what is currently being sold on websites in France and other countries in Europe. I have contacted multiple museums, archaeologists, as well as anthropologists asking to donate the find to their museum or department to have it studied and possibly dated. I continually receive the same response, that there could not be Neaderthals tools in North America unless a collector had purchased the item and subsequently lost it in a mountain stream here in Colorado. Of course it goes against the current narrative, but the lack of desire to even debunk the item is disappointing at best. I have a slight lead that I may donate and send the tool to the museum at the Colorado School of Mines museum in Golden, Colorado. My dilemma is that nobody can gaurantee that there will be any tests done on the tool and by donating it I risk it being buried in a drawer in the back room of the museum never to see the light of day. Just because it goes against the narrative of homo sapien & Neanderthal history I would love to have some people that are interested in the field rejoice with a new discovery. I will keep you posted and I will also reply with a few photos of Neaderthal tools that are being sold on the internet and viewing them side by side the evidence is certain. I hope to truly change an opinion or two on this current narrative and if I can get the anthropology department at the School of Mines to do some tests I think that would be great. Too much history has been hidden or misconstrued for the masses to promote a singular agenda. For example, take a look at all of the artifacts that were confiscated from the Grand Canyon in the early 1900's by the Smithsonian Institute never again to see the light of day. For whatever reason the powers that be are withholding a worldwide civilization from the masses. I find hieroglyphs with near identical Language patterns as Sumerian Cuneiform all over the Southwest. Hopefully I make some headway with this find and deduction just to poke a finger at those who rewrite history believing they are doing humanity a service. It's the truth that sets us free, and how are we to make meaningful discoveries going forward if all of history is a fictional tale that helps to prevent the true history to be given to the common man. Wish me luck on this one and I will do my best!

Thanks everyone, and especially the truth seekers out there that listen to their internal instinct when something just doesn't feel right.

Cheers!
If by Neanderthal, you mean the Denver Bronchos - then I might agree.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to talk about "indian shamen" as though Native American cultures shared some monolithic belief structures is a bit naive and simplistic.
Try researching the Indian personal medicine bag.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried searching and you can't find much now, except hyped up New Age articles.
This info here was condensed down from a Lakota Indian before he passed away. Natural objects were adding during a vision quest. Vision Quest is our name for it.

Smudging Your Medicine Bag

A new Sacred Bundle or Medicine Bag is smudged first, all of it's contents. The size may vary, but can be as large as 12-14" in length. You will need to add inside it, a small tobacco bag, another small bag of corn pollen or corn meal. A piece of Flint or Obsidian should be considered.

These are the basic items to start with.

1. One or more of stones, minerals, crystals.

2. One or more representations of animals (Feathers, claws, bone, teeth).

3. One or more of plants, trees.

4. One or more representation for technology.

5. During your first Vision Quest, special objects found should be added. These are a representation of power, the spiritual path.

Smudge the items before going on the Vision Quest. Take a piece of red felt to wrap the contents into a neat bundle. The sacred objects found during a Vision Quest, need not be smudged first before adding. You should however, do a ceremony for opening the bundle, when adding or remove items. Don't allow other people to handle the Medicine Bag or it will need smudging again.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some photos, the archaeologist on the museum board, emailed me and explained what they were. They did an archaeological survey, at a French historic site in Ohio. According to this museum board archaeologist, the site had an area with Indian burial mounds. The circular stone with a hole, was identifiesd as a Native American stone pendant. Next to that is a broken pendant. Looks like there could be a shell artifact also. A couple obvious points, stone tools, and some stone objects identified by museum as Native American.

I know at least 2 or more of them, if posted here, somebody would say they are natural.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_4.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 29
  • Arkie_finds_1.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Arkie_finds_1b.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1b.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Arkie_finds_1a.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1a.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Arkie_finds_1c.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1c.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 32
  • Arkie_finds_1d.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1d.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 35

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention (why I'd rather not get in this type of discussion), they found a couple coral fossils and petrified wood also. I'll post them here, what probably are the stones. Then 4 stony iron meteorites and don't have info on whether Indians collected them or were found metal detecting. There was digging and metal detecting during the survey. I though these are the meteorites and the coral fossil, petrified wood stones.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_4e.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4e.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Arkie_finds_4b.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4b.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 32

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I turned the point from museum archaeological survey, of a burial mound at the Ohio French historical site. Then lightened it some, cropping it down to a curve sharpened on the bottom right corner.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_1a-vert.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1a-vert.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Arkie_finds_1a-vert-crop.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1a-vert-crop.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 27
  • Arkie_finds_1a-vert-crop2.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1a-vert-crop2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 23

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly why, I asked you if your stone object has a sharpened curve on the right edge. Many of the flint stone scapers I found, do have a similar sharp curve. It seems to be a trademark for stone tool makers of that particular time period.

I will now turn yours also, to see better what we have posted here.

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_094302411-stone.jpg
    IMG_20220112_094302411-stone.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220112_094302411-stone_1.jpg
    IMG_20220112_094302411-stone_1.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220112_094302411-stone_1B.jpg
    IMG_20220112_094302411-stone_1B.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 24

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread