I give up

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the others that stated that you have a great machine in a Metal Detector! You just need to learn the Metal Detector's capabilities, settings, idiosyncrasies and use them wisely. Use the Pinpoint/All Metals Mode to pick up everything. Have the Discriminate setting at "1", turn the Sensitivity to the highest setting in Sub-Aqua (this is for wet sand on salt water beaches and for concentrated deposits of Black Sand) and adjust up (more sensitivity) or down (less sensitivity) as necessary to maintain a steady Threshold once set. If working drier areas of the beach (away from the water), then you can probably adjust and maintain a much higher Sensitivity setting than when working closer to the water. Adjust the Threshold setting to a slight hum all of the time but if that is irritating to you, then adjust it to a slight hum and then back it off until the point that the signal or hum just goes away and no further.

If metal detecting the beaches, the best times to metal detect beaches with lots of tourists, is during evening hours (i.e. 5PM til dark or later) or surveil the beaches to see when other Md'ers are going and plan a time to get ahead of them. I have done both evening and morning searches of beaches and found that the evening hours are best. Also, when you surveil the beaches for other MD'ers, make sure to note where the beachgoers mainly lay their' beach towels or place their' beach chairs and/or lounge chairs. These areas are the best spots to start!

I won't get into points about using the MD underwater or in the water as I believe those have been covered well. Just don't give up as many folks do when they are having difficulty finding things they feel they should be finding. It takes time, eventually it will happen and when it does, the adrenaline will kick in and you will become a Metal Detecting Maniac.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! You guys are great. Your explanation of how the wave action works is incredible. I have found the steep holes and the shallow ones. I will be looking far more carefully now. I hunt usually from 4 pm till dark - around 6. I'm going to a calm beach this afternoon. I can hunt in the water and it helps me learn the differing tones. I will set the sensitivity accordingly. Encouragement really helps. THANKS again. Will report back later.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never give up, never surrender!

OK this won't help you but I would love tc be able to spend an hour or two on a beach each day. I think your problem would be eased if you figure a way to rig a beerholder on your detector. It would make any beach walk pleasant.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff- you forgot the long straw for the beer, sealed can, no sand!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never give up, never surrender!

OK this won't help you but I would love tc be able to spend an hour or two on a beach each day. I think your problem would be eased if you figure a way to rig a beerholder on your detector. It would make any beach walk pleasant.

That's context right there,, I wish I didn't have all this frozen clay around my house so I could dig too.. It is tough after the layer of snow and ice! LolOLOL

OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first gold ring. In 4' of water. Calm water. Lots of people. Thanks for the encouragement. It made all the difference.

Attachments

• image-2815972504.jpg
    image-2815972504.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 73

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off..
A great thread /read Very Educational (tho I live pretty deep inland)

And it also has a VERY HAPPY ENDING..

So Congratz, Miichelott On your first Gold ring & I believe you have much more Gold & Silver to recover in the future.

P.S. I def, envy you cause you live in such a beautiful place but I,m sure I would eventually miss the States.
Again GLAD to See that RING...
Davers

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats. See, learn the machine, watch what the ground is telling you, and get on top of good items.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATULATIONS!!! See never give up, it's out there! First gold WOO HOO!!!!!

Bigscoop you are so wise and knowledgeable, awesome info!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ,, Big helped me out a lot when I first started trying the beaches.

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Gold Ring! Remember that island has history, Old History! Check it out you may find a cache, who knows!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
SIMPLE ANSWER, get a pulse induction detector (PI). They are king of the beach and love gold.
Terry suggested the Sank Shark which is a PI. Never heard a bad word about one.
I use a 12 year old Whites Surfmaster PI. It has found MANY gold rings. I found one last season on the beach in DE. at 10" with a loud signal. Here is a picture of a ruby and gold ring I found in a back yard . Frank...
ruby gold ring 700.jpg This would make your day!

luciddream

Greenie
Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Live a treasure hunters dream. I spend 6-8 weeks a year in st Martin living in a small apartment on orient beach. Three years ago I decided to try metal detecting to give me something to do for a couple hours a day. Cruise ships full of tourists, many with lots of jewelry, arrive daily. As an engineer I wanted a good detector to use on the beach and surf. I purchased an Excaliber II. How hard could this be? After 3 years I have not found even 1 gold ring or chain. I hunt about 2 hours almost every day. Found lots of clad coins, junk rings and 1 good silver bangle. But with all the time I put in I thought I'd find at least 1 piece of gold. I am so frustrated. I have read several pamphlets, tried all different kinds of settings and hunted several beaches. Still no gold. I know it's here and in all the time I've been here I've only seen 1 other hunter for a day. I think the machine is over my head. What I wouldn't give for a teacher.

Dude, DONT get discouraged... I'm convinced it's all luck. I've only been doing it for 2 weeks and found a gold charm, but I think with this hobby, you really have you enjoy it all around. You can't just like it when you get the gold... That's like getting discouraged from fishing because you haven't caught a marlin. I love finding different nic naks even though they aren't gold or silver...It's abound where the object has been and how it got there that is interesting to me. I mean, of course, don't get me wrong, getting something precious in value is freaking amazing and definitely gives me a rush. Over all though, it's fun to try and predict what it is I'm digging, finding new techniques, researching, out doors, etc etc and that's what you should be chasing after. In my opinion anyway, but then again, I've only done it for 2-3 weeks now.

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 (two years experience)
E-trac (currently learning)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, DONT get discouraged... I'm convinced it's all luck. I've only been doing it for 2 weeks and found a gold charm, but I think with this hobby, you really have you enjoy it all around. You can't just like it when you get the gold... That's like getting discouraged from fishing because you haven't caught a marlin. I love finding different nic naks even though they aren't gold or silver...It's abound where the object has been and how it got there that is interesting to me. I mean, of course, don't get me wrong, getting something precious in value is freaking amazing and definitely gives me a rush. Over all though, it's fun to try and predict what it is I'm digging, finding new techniques, researching, out doors, etc etc and that's what you should be chasing after. In my opinion anyway, but then again, I've only done it for 2-3 weeks now.

With only two weeks under your belt, you've realized what it's all about. I love detecting for the connection with history and even if I don't find much in a day, at least I was outside and got the fresh air.

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you the same Luciddreamer from Celtic Wars? I'm Uthred on CW! Been detecting for 40 years and still going strong!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread