I got a deal for my first MD. And guess what I found first LOL

Decender

Aug 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garret Pinpinter 2
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been having an itch that needed to be scratched with a new hobby. My dad is getting up there in years and I thought that something we could share some common ground with is a Metal Detector since we did not spend the first 36 years together. And when we finally met for the first time a few years back, he had an old one and we always talked about going out and playing with it. So, 2 weeks ago I went to visit him and asked if he had that thing in his closet gathering dust still and sadly, he got rid of it last year. I knew I had to fix this. I waited till I got paid today and was all set on going out to get a brand spanking new one, and lo' and behold... Facebook gave me a gift from the Gods... Ladies and Gentlemen... A Garret ACE 250 for $85. I read all the manual had to offer and countless videos on YT. 15 minutes of goofing around with it listening to the god aweful trash in my yard, I managend to pull up 3 things. and if I had the knowledge to get it right I could do better. But this is the junk 2 inches from the sidewalk that was in one hole...

IMG_20170908_201456.jpg

Thats about all I could handle besause starting off in all metal mode was not a joke in this yard. I know the thing is not broken because I gave it a test run when I bought it.

IMG_20170908_201739.jpg

TLDR; First metal detecor for cheap, needs practice...

Upvote 29
Can't go wrong for $85, I had one of those years ago and found many a silver with it. It is a good little machine.

Nice going first trip out....wishing you good luck in your future hunts.

Outstanding, good little machines

within 2 weeks my Ace250 paid for itself with a gold & sterling rings

after you learn the language-- the Ace will make you vewy happy:laughing7:
got my 1st Trime, 2 Cent, many IH, bales of Wheat, "V" nics, Buffs and dozens of silver coins & sterling rings plus 3 more gold

swing low & slow with short swings--- that yellow magic stick can sniff REAL GOOD

All-Metal is a brave start, thats normally an advanced option. As a general rule for most detectors is keep the Sensitivity as high as the ground allows, & the Disc as low as you can put up with. As you get better with the sounds, its best to have no Disc.

Awesome start to a great hobby. Now you need a second one for your dad so you two can go hunt together.

The first rule of metal detecting: you will dig trash.

One thing I found with the 250, if 9 sweeps read nickel and the 10th a pull tab, it will be a pull tab. Steel bottle caps read $0.50/$1.00 but the signal won't be consist and the sound will be off. Though if shallow it will scream at you.

Really it takes 100 good hours to start learning a machine. So be patient. Every pull tab could be a gold ring.

You might want to read this thread. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/552732-getting-discouraged.html

Welcome to the hobby and thanks for sharing your finds.

Good luck, I recommend coin mode for first couple of months, you won't miss much except most of the garbage

Getting out together and sharing the same interest is the winner here, the finds are just a bonus. Well done!

Nice deal! Enjoy the new machine and time with your dad :icon_thumleft:

ACE 250, simple and sweet machine. found silver and gold with mine and it was a great clad finder. got the wife started with it too. $85 was a great deal too.

Excellent beginners machine to have. I started out with this one and the first month or so with it was kind of a learning curve. Didn't really find anything amazing, but eventually I was finding myself digging silver and wheat cents every time I went out. It takes practice.. :)

It's also location, location, location.. know any old schools around your area? anyone you know lives in an older house? those spots are usually better for older items..

Good luck & Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back