d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now I am not calling anyone out but I got a question or two. I am not a vegetarian nor do I want to be, but if you are thats fine, I dont care. What makes people be vegetarians? Are they born that way? Is it a choice or lifestyle change, were they raised in a household where meat was not eaten? And why do some of them want to make me change? I was raised on a farm and still live on one although it is small. We hunt, fish and use the game we bring home. We eat the eggs and the chickens and the cows and the hogs that we raise. I dont expect every one to eat meat just because I do. I think it's just because that maybe they dont understand how it goes from the farm to the table because they were born and raised in the city. I am not trying to make anyone mad or start something. I would just like someone to answer my question without starting a feud...d2

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My sisters and I were raised on a dairy farm....we not only raised beef and chickens to eat,we also all went deer hunting with my dad.....two of my sisters became vegetarians at about 16 years old.....they cook meat for their families, but wont eat it....they do eat fish.....so who knows

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sorry, can't answer your question, but wish I could. Veggies are good, but I just can't seem to break myself away from chicks, pork, deer, but not too much beef. I'm not sure how far back vegans go, but that would be interesting to find out. Was Michelangelo a vegan? Napoleon? Washington? Lincoln? Martha Washington? Hitler? Castro? Betsy Ross? Truman? Bette Davis? Is it a personal choice? Do vegans live longer? Interesting question.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

From Wikipedia...

Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes all animal flesh, including poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, and slaughter by-products. The reasons for choosing vegetarianism may be related to morality, religion, culture, ethics, aesthetics, environment, society, economy, politics, taste, or health.

There are several variants of the diet, some of which also exclude eggs and/or some products produced from animal labor such as dairy products and honey. Veganism, for example, excludes all animal products from diet. By some strict definitions, animal products are not used for attire either, whether or not the production of clothing or items has involved the actual death of an animal (dairy, eggs, honey, wool, silk, down feathers, etc.) A generic term for both vegetarianism and veganism, as well as for similar diets, is "Plant-based diets".

Vegetarian diets have been found to satisfy the nutritional needs for all stages of life, and large-scale studies have shown vegetarianism to increase longevity, improve health, and significantly lower risks of cancer and other diseases.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't see anything wrong with it...hell I'd even be willing to try it, but I take exception with the PETA types that diss everyone for utilizing animals for food and products. We're just not that far out of the cave yet.

HH!
TBGO

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
there is nothing wrong with a veggie, I myself like everything from carcass to plants. I would think the best think about being a veggie is you don't eat stuff with a lot of preservatives in it as long as your eating fresh fruits and veggies. Then again if you like me I harvest everything I eat from game, fish, and my garden. So I don't deal with a lot of dyes and other man made ingredients in my food.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Vegetarian , an old native american word for bad hunter .
Sakapoopoo , an old native american word for diaper .
Slumgulliom , an old native american word for dog stew .
Mucklolly , an old native american word for mulemeat stew .
Pizzlesprung , an old native american word for impotence .
Povertyslop , an old american word for granny gravy .
Pavertyslap , hillbilly slang for povertyslop .
Twitterpated , well Gypsy stole that one .
Flying Quampus , I better quit .

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
One of the smartest ladies I know will not eat meat.

It's a personal choice... I could personally hardly care less why they choose it.

I like salad on my cheeseburgers.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some are because they believe that it is cruel to kill amimals.

Quite a few of folks I know that are veggies are fat. One girl I know buys four or five orders of supersize fries and dumps them in the paper bag and eats them all, everyday. That ain't healthy, so it has little to with diet for her.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'To each his own', vegetarians may be healthier, & live longer, but the hard labor we performed when I was a young man, (logging, & timber hauler), I would not have lasted until noon, eating only veggies.
As the old timers would say, (you need something to stick to your ribs).

Fossis............

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To feed the masses, chickens must be raised as they are and that is what I grew up doing. We had 3 chicken houses, all layers and they were in those houses for one thing, eggs. I am not cruel nor am I inhumane but to me, being raised how I was they were and are just chickens. There is nothing on this earth that I dont have compassion for, 'cepting maybe terrorists, Felinepeachy, we just see things different. And it is nice to have such opposing views with a lady as pretty as you are. I have an aunt that was raised on the farm too and all the meat she eats is fish and that is very seldom...d2

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm a vegetarian. I was raised that way by my mom, because it's alot heathier. My dad ate meat (i.e. steak, chicken, pork, and every other thing that used to breath air) while growing up, but my mom stopped when she had me (her first child) and did the same with my younger brother. When I was about 7, my mom gave my brother & I the choice to start eating meat if we want, which obviously neither of us cared to. She didn't eat meat up until my brother and I went to college in 2002. Then she started with chicken skins... and progressed to chicken and cold cut meats. That's really mostly all she eats now. She still won't touch a steak or beef.

And I guess I'm going to have to step up and say that there's a definite difference between being a "vegetarian" and being a "VEGAN"!!!
Vegan's only eat vegetables and nothing that's a by-product of anything living.
Vegetarians, like myself, don't eat meat... but sometimes eat stuff that wouldn't be eaten by a Vegan.
I eat eggs, SEAFOOD (c'mon, I'm from Florida!?), and drink milk. I eat whatever I'm hungry for I guess.
I do eat vegetables sometimes, but it's not primarily what I'm hungry for. Salads are alright... but being a vegetarian, I've had my fair share. I only eat 'em if I'm really craving one.

And as a sidenote, I have no intentions of eating meat... but when I'm a Christian Missionary one day on an island somewhere... I've come to the realization and acceptance that if I need to eat meat to be culturally accepted, I will. Especially if it's a ceremonial thing. But I just want to do whatever I can to be like the people I'm living there to reach for Christ, so if it means adopting their eating habits, no matter how sick it is to me, I will. I hope & pray that there will be plenty of fish & seafood for me though. lol ;D

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Well for your sake I hope you don't do missionary work for any cannibals.

There really aren't anymore cannibalistic tribes around. ;)

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Bran, there are some cultures that believe that the more an animal suffers before it dies the better the meat is. Would you partake in the torturing of an animal to be accepted? Would you sin for acceptance?

That's sad. Sin? I don't think that's "sin" per-say... inhumane, yes. But no, I wouldn't partake in torturing an animal. There is different ways to go about dealing with such issues that a missionary might face. I don't claim to have all the answers, nor do I want to go to un-culturalize a people group. The last thing I want is a bunch of "Americanized Christians" in another country. But change comes from within. And God is the Author of that change. I'm nothing more than an instrument that's willing to be used by Him. ;)

Bran <><

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
godisnum1 said:
Felinepeachy said:
Well for your sake I hope you don't do missionary work for any cannibals.

There really aren't anymore cannibalistic tribes around. ;)

Bran <><

I don't know I have traveled the world a few times, ever known anyone that came back from one???? :-X

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Well , I think it's debateable wheather or not it's healthier not to eat meat . My grandfather ate meat & lived to the ripe old age of 89 . My great aunt eat meat & lived well up into her 90'S . My mother ate meat & lived well up into her 80'S . A lady I did some electrical work for , also a neighbor , ate bacon & eggs & other meat & lived well into her 90'S . By the way I consider seafood meat also . I don't beleive in being inhumane to any animal but I don't see anything wrong with eating meat .
I'm also up in the air about missionary work . We beleive in god as taught to us by our bible . Many cultures have relegions that are older than ours . What would you do if missionarys showed up at your door & tried to tell you your relegion was wrong & you needed to convert to theirs ? Most of the places missionarys go , people are poverty stricken , hungry , & sick . They are more than willing to take handouts & will tell you what you want to hear as long as the handouts keep coming . Pack up & leave & see how long they continue to be good christians .

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Tis an interesting topic. I am proud father of 2 sons, 1 vegetarian and 1 vegan.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people here on the net already know how I feel about eating meat and meat products. We've been down this path before regarding same. I eat meat, all kinds and I like my veggies to compliment my meal. I don't believe in mistreating animals and it would make me very angry to see someone beating their dog or cat or even livestock. But I don't believe animals have souls nor I believe there is anything sinful about harvesting game or raising cattle, sheep, pigs or any other meat bearing animal for slaughter to be put on my dinner plate. On the farm, even animals destined for the dinner table are treated very well up until the time to be harvested for food. Livestock are too valuable a commodity to be mistreated and on a farm or ranch and they are treated very well, fed and watered and pampered for the most part to yield the best meat for $$ value and for consumption. There is nothing better with a nice thick red ,rare steak than a baked potato and a tossed salad, and even a very tasty yeasty dinner roll. Now, the slaughterhouse is not a pleasant experience for the animals I am sure, nor is it really a fun place for the people who work there either. But much of what goes on is necessary to assure that the meat put on your table is not diseased and is clean and wholesome for consumption. And it has to be of such quality that those millions who earn their living from raising and harvesting livestock can make a decent profit. What the animals go through is certainly inhumane, but you have to remember animals are not humans.
Now if you are a vegan or a vegetarian that is fine with me, but what I resent is being preached at about something I consider normal and desirable. In the world I grew up in, not eating meat is considered really strange behavior. I can just see my grandmother , who by the way ate meat and vegetables both and lived to be 103,....leaning over the dinner table and whispering,"There's something wrong with that boy". She would think being a vegetarian or a vegan is quite bizarre behavior. Even if I thought it was odd behavior I wouldn't preach at you or try to convert you to being a carnivore. Another thing that puzzles me is that all animals who are put on earth as carnivores have K-9 teeth. All Humans have K-9 teeth. I wonder why God made us that way?
That being said, I admit I was rankled by some of the derogatory comments regarding the eating of meat by a couple of T-net members. And I changed the comments on my page to reflect same. But to prove what I have said about choices, I am changing them back to being neutral as I don't really think such comments by either belief is appropriate to the forum. I would hope you would feel the same. Monty

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I take spells about eating meat, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I went about a year and couldn't eat meat, why I don't know.
Some people may have that problem and it stays with them. I understand how they feel, except for the ranting about other peoples habit, likes or dislikes. Not every one is a butcher, not everyone is a member of PETA and got a screw loose.
Want to love an animal go hug a bear or kiss a rattler.
I have this thing about vegetables, I can't stand these turnip chokers, how about people that take the skin off a live potatoes and kill the weeds by pulling them out of the ground, and cut that grass with a dull blade.
Got a letter from PETA when I had a pest control company. They wanted me to terminate mice in a humane method by injection, by someone like a vet. So I got as silly as they did and just told them what a wonderful idea they had and I would do it but I would need financial assistance. My nephew came up with a brilliant idea of raising cats, feeding them mice, then skin the cats, sell the fur for 35 cents then feed the cat carcases to the rats, just no end to it. This plan is not dead, I am looking for investors, PETA is not going to help me.
If I sound silly, well birds of a feather. Gnewt

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jbot said:
"And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetched a calf tender and
good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.
And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed,
and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree,
and they did eat."
Genesis 18: 7-8

Here was the Lord himself, eating meat with Abraham.

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter
times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing
spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy;
having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats,
which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them
which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is
good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer."
1 Timothy 4: 1-5

I'm glad you decided to use Scripture...
;D
1Co 8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

1Co 8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread