tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's worth a whole lot, but it sure had some old charm caricature. I've looked at these old lanterns here and there for $15. to $30. and I always thought about buying one. Today at a thrift store run by a Catholic church they had a 5 dollar price on it, I'll take it for that. It looks to be in good operating original condition, just a bit scruffy looking. It a DIETZ Clipper. I can't say how old it is, being they've made these the same for at least a 100 years I'm thinking.

Attachments

• lamp kerocene 1.jpg
    lamp kerocene 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ARRC, I've looked at some end sale pricing on these. It seems they're all over the board. Not sure the age of this one, but it's made in the USA. It has an embossed image of a sailing ship with the name Dietz "Clipper". I saw one like it sold online for something like 15 bucks, but it had no picture, so I don't know the condition of it. I'm guessing this one may be from the late 1930s to maybe in to the 1950s ?? It's like I said in good shape over the many old one's I've seen for sale and for 5 bucks I think I finally found the one for me and this one should work safely. I like low light of a kerosene lantern before the sunrise. I believe the low light from a flame upstarts the mind at a pace it was intended to fire up on after sleep. It's like a huge electric motor starting with 3 phases to reach full power. Edison has turned all of us on way to fast IMO and took away the needed phases of deep thoughts before the day. The effects of the light of the computer screen is a different matter all together. My wife has been in counseling for all my years with her and man have I seen an increase in demand for her services in marriage relations since the days before the home computer. Could this be the effects of the emitted light from the computer screen or is something else going on. :dontknow:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool man...
As far as last part...
I give you...
My famous one "word"...
Heh.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife has been in counseling for all my years with her and man have I seen an increase in demand for her services in marriage relations since the days before the home computer. Could this be the effects of the emitted light from the computer screen or is something else going on. :dontknow:

I think the explanation is much simpler than weird light rays screwing up people's minds..... Facebook, Twitter, and other internet nonsense that so many people seem to be addicted to. Ignore your spouse in favor of that junk long enough and I guarantee you will have problems. The bright side is job security for your wife!

/off topic

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the current research is showing that for the brain to transition into sleep, and remain there in a productive restful state, it's recommended to stop viewing bright and changing lights from phones, pads, computer screens of any type, and TV at least an hour before you go to bed. Problems seem to be really showing up with preteens and teens who use their electronics even after the lights are out for bedtime.

The calm lighting of an old oil lamp or fireplace does seem to slow-start the mornings better. It's a major reason I get up well ahead of my wife to just enjoy the light from the new splits' burning flames through the pale dusty sooted glass-front of the fireplace insert's door.

Bill

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a "hot blast" lantern. They take in air through openings in the base. Air travels through the globe and is heated by the flame and produces a steady yellow flame. A Hot Blast Lantern is good for use indoors.

I don't know if you read this yet here but- Kerosene Lantern Frequently Asked Questions Page (then again it's possible for it not to be marked)

To determine the month and year of manufacture on most Dietz lanterns made between 1915 and 1956, look at the "M" or "S" production date located under the patent dates, usually located on the upper part of the air tube to the right of the fuel cap, or on the center air tube on Hot Blast lanterns. (Do not confuse the "M" or "S" production dates with a patent date when looking at a Dietz Lantern.) "M" denotes Dietz New York City "Main" Factory #1, while "S" denotes Dietz Syracuse Factory #2, which is followed by the month and year of production. Stamping Patent and Production dates into Dietz lanterns was abandoned in 1956, coinciding with the establishment of the Hong Kong factory. (i.e. "S-6-41" stands for Syracuse Factory #2, June of 1941, "M-1-25" stands for New York City Factory #1, January 1925.) Note: Lantern production ceased in the New York City "M" Factory #1 in 1931.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
It's commonly referred to as a barn lantern. Some folks ask stupid money for them but the reality is that they are extremely common and can usually be found in the $5-$20 range. What you want to be on the lookout for is railroad lanterns. I have around 30 of them and the prices for a nice one run about $100 on up. The sky is the limit for ones from small steam era railroads. One clue that you're looking at a railroad lantern is the cage around the globe to protect the glass. The shade above the globe will be marked with the railroad name or abbreviation & if you're very lucky it will be on the globe as well. Here are some of mine.

Attachments

• Lanterns-2.jpg
    Lanterns-2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Lanterns-4.JPG
    Lanterns-4.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's commonly referred to as a barn lantern. Some folks ask stupid money for them but the reality is that they are extremely common and can usually be found in the $5-$20 range. What you want to be on the lookout for is railroad lanterns. I have around 30 of them and the prices for a nice one run about $100 on up. The sky is the limit for ones from small steam era railroads. One clue that you're looking at a railroad lantern is the cage around the globe to protect the glass. The shade above the globe will be marked with the railroad name or abbreviation & if you're very lucky it will be on the globe as well. Here are some of mine.
I do see some old RR lanterns from time to time. Most are in relic condition and missing parts and have a price I'm not giving, until I know more about what to look for. This old lantern I paid 5 and change and it's worth that to me to enjoy. That's a nice collect of RR lanterns. How long it take ya to put it together??

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I do see some old RR lanterns from time to time. Most are in relic condition and missing parts and have a price I'm not giving, until I know more about what to look for. This old lantern I paid 5 and change and it's worth that to me to enjoy. That's a nice collect of RR lanterns. How long it take ya to put it together??
Took awhile to get a decent collection and I'm pretty tight with my money too so I bought some at auctions that were missing parts, surface rust, etc & restored them. Burners and globes are available reproduction for pretty cheap money. A soak for 2-3 days in a bucket of molasses & water works wonders on surface rusted steel. One particular auction I went to had a large lot of coins and several RR lanterns. The place was packed with coin buyers and I bought about 8 or 9 lanterns for an average of $25 each. They advertised the coins pretty well prior to the auction and made no mention of the railroad stuff.

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Here is an example of the markings to look for. This one is from the Southern Railway. A good source for identifying markings as well as other RR lantern info is this one.. Railroadiana Online Website Alot of guys find locks & keys while detecting as well and this is a good place to find out who owned them.

Attachments

• IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took awhile to get a decent collection and I'm pretty tight with my money too so I bought some at auctions that were missing parts, surface rust, etc & restored them. Burners and globes are available reproduction for pretty cheap money. A soak for 2-3 days in a bucket of molasses & water works wonders on surface rusted steel. One particular auction I went to had a large lot of coins and several RR lanterns. The place was packed with coin buyers and I bought about 8 or 9 lanterns for an average of $25 each. They advertised the coins pretty well prior to the auction and made no mention of the railroad stuff.

What kind of molasses? Why molasses?

Thanks for showing and sharing!

Bill

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Plain old molasses. It's got Phosphoric acid in it and while I've heard that raw molasses like you would get at a feed store works the best I've done all of mine with the grocery store stuff. A jar or 2 in a 5 gallon bucket of water does the trick for any rusty steel. Use a plastic bucket with a cover and do it outdoors because it does have a strong smell to it. A light rub with 000 steel wool afterwards brings back the shine. These RR lanterns were originally tin plated and you don't want to remove that if possible. Molasses works on any rusty steel & iron and won't cause pitting like electrolisis does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did see an old RR type lantern at a indoor flea market that I think was marked property of Colorado Springs or something like that? I was thinking it was used on the city trolley system?... It was missing the glass, if I remember?. I'll see if it's still there next time I go by the place. If I recall it was like 18 bucks or there about. I remember I was looking it over and thinking I may pop for it, but opted out with the 2nd thought that came to me. Looking at the link Diggum provided I don't think this lantern I have is all that old now. I see no Pat. marks on it, but it says made in the U.S.A. so it may be from around 1956. It is interesting reading about the history of the Dietz Mfg. company and to see there lanterns still have a market after so many years. They sure got in early on the benefits of having China help with your bottom line. Now every buddy does it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread