I got Busted this weekend

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched a former homesite in the woods on Sunday. Two hours passed with no keepers, so I hit the snooze alarm on my phone to give myself a little more time. A few minutes later, I got an iffy high tone that turned out to be an 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent. The obverse looked good right out of the hole, though the reverse looks poor. I used Andres pencils on the reverse, but the dirt and corrosion is stubborn. I also found a brass thimble a few minutes after the coin, then had to head home. Thanks and good luck out there.

IMG_6903.jpeg
IMG_6907.jpeg IMG_6902.jpeg
IMG_6901.jpeg

Upvote 90

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched a former homesite in the woods on Sunday. Two hours passed with no keepers, so I hit the snooze alarm on my phone to give myself a little more time. A few minutes later, I got an iffy high tone that turned out to be an 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent. The obverse looked good right out of the hole, though the reverse looks poor. I used Andres pencils on the reverse, but the dirt and corrosion is stubborn. I also found a brass thimble a few minutes after the coin, then had to head home. Thanks and good luck out there.

View attachment 2143794 View attachment 2143795 View attachment 2143796 View attachment 2143797
Sweet!

PBS

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one was surly lost early on. Folks were likely talking a lot about the new state of Ohio when that penny went missing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That one was surly lost early on. Folks were likely talking a lot about the new state of Ohio when that penny went missing.
Thank you. I love imagining stuff like that when digging old coins and relics. Who knows, the last person to hold this coin before me might have voted for Thomas Jefferson!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2143794 View attachment 2143795 View attachment 2143796 View attachment 2143797
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on that beautiful find

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice Coin. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread