I got lazy today on pennies

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I was first at an elementary school where I found 4 pennies total for a few hours of work. Everything seemed hunted out because the only good targets I found (indicating large silver) (quarter, dollar, etc?) were all registering more than 6-8 inces in hard, compacted dirt from years and years of foot traffic. Well, upon digging, I guickly find a huge limestone rock, or very, very hard clay in EVERY single good target. It was intriguing getting those readings, but a person would need a pick ax to get to them. After spending a few hours there, I've decided to take my 4 pennies and hit a local park (I leave slightly frustrated).
So, on to the park with tennis courts, swings, pool and LOTS of picnic tables.. I find that every path from the picnic tables, leading too the pool are loaded with clad. I mean, every 2 - 3 feet. A vision pops into my head, of a little boy in his swimming trucks, running back to the pool from the picnic table, after getting money for the vending machine from his parents. Now, this kid, having no pockets, has a tight fist around his vending money, and in his exitment, steps on a sticker, or trips and falls, loosing his money everywhere. ;D
As I'm on the dozenth or so penny, I get fed up. Why didn't the parents give them just quarters? Why are there even pennies mixed in with the quarters? So, I start digging only quarters. Unfortunately there are not many at all. Perhaps the other MDers got lazy too? Perhaps they got sick of all those dang pennies and already got the quarters. Now, if this was an older park, I would have dug, but it's not.
I think the day ended well, because as I'm in the volleyball sand, I look up and a pretty lady with her ~5 year old son, asks me what I'm looking for (I make sure and look for metal on the ring finger too, as well as in the ground) ;D "Well, I'm looking for anything, but I'm finding mostly trash". She asks another question, this time noticing her foreign accent. "Your finding trash?" she says. I start walking toward her and pull out the cool motorcycle that I found 10 minutes earlier in the sand. "I did find this though..." I hand it to her son. She asks me about snakes. I tell her maybe in the creek down yonder, but not up here, but still, not even this time of year.
A few more minutes of conversation, and before I lose stuff to talk about, I leave on a good note, "Well, maybe I'll see you again, and I'll have more motorcycles"...

She was probably the prettiest one that had ever asked me, "What are you looking for". I think perhaps sometimes, that when people ask you that dumb question, they're simply trying to flirt (or get free toys). I have NEVER had a guy ask me that question... only "anything good". I guess now, I'll have to go back and dig those dang pennies, and bring along a previous found matchbox car, just so I can talk to Paula from Romania again. ;D

Upvote 0

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with ya buddy!! I always find lots of pennies if I dig the questionable tones.
I HATE pennies!!!!!!

It's almost as bad as tinfoil and pull tabs sounding like gold!

Romania huh?!? Maybe she thought you were looking for old land mines like they still do over there?!?

Good luck on seeing her again!!!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For years and years I've dug EVERY coin. Only lately have I begun to leave the zincs when I'm doing a lunch-hour hunt at the park. Depends on my mood. Most I find look like metal eating rats have knawed on them anyhow. I know for a fact the other local hunters skip them (or they are the WORST coin-shooters in the States). The nickels I am less sure of, but I gladly dig them. The dimes & quarters I figure are everpresent as no-one sweeps an area 100%, and fresh drops occur ongoing.

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
Charlie P. (NY) said:
For years and years I've dug EVERY coin. Only lately have I begun to leave the zincs when I'm doing a lunch-hour hunt at the park. Depends on my mood. Most I find look like metal eating rats have knawed on them anyhow. I know for a fact the other local hunters skip them (or they are the WORST coin-shooters in the States). The nickels I am less sure of, but I gladly dig them. The dimes & quarters I figure are everpresent as no-one sweeps an area 100%, and fresh drops occur ongoing.
I don't dig zincs either unless they're right on the surface. I've got a bottle full of "chewed up" ones from when I used to dig everything. I think one day I'll melt 'em down into an ingot or something just for fun. I also get more excited about finding a nickel than dimes or quarters because my machine will notch old pull tabs but not newer ones so I still dig plenty of them. When it turns out to be a nickel, it feels like a bonus.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Silver rings fall into the penny range. Found many just that way! Better keep digging em!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you never know you might have found a "treasure" today -- not all treasure is made of metal you know.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I will dig pennies however I do not dig zinc pennies unless I am in a spot that I feel might yeild indian head pennies.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I try to dig everything!!! However, if I start NOT digging all tones, I realize I must be getting tired and sloppy. So I leave and hang it up for the day with a note to self to go back when I am in a better digging mood.

Sometimes I start out really wanting to swing the MD, and after 30 min I am not into it. I would rather not swing at all than be sloppy and miss something good :)

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hi Mike,

Pennies do tend to be a distraction... apparently not quite as Paula of Romania, though!

Made me think of Paulina Porizkova... playing volleyball.

Thanks!

Attachments

• paulina6.jpg
    paulina6.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 163

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread