I Got Me A New Toy Today!

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Two nights ago, I was chomping at the bit wanting to get a detector that would perform better as a coin/relic machine than my Garrett Infinium has been doing. So that night I was searching long and hard on Craigslist, looking at every listing I could find in any major town and city listed that was in a reasonable driving distance for me to get to and back within an 8 hour time frame. I ran across many detectors, but they all seemed to fall short of what I have been wanting. All I found were the top of the line model for cheapo detectors, or the were true dinosaurs. I ended coming across a listing that had exactly what I was looking for, a Tesoro Lobo Supertraq..... but it was listed multiple times. I thought "oh great, this one has so many repeat listings that it has to have been sold by now". I got up early the next morning, expecting a major disapointment, I dialed anyways.....an old woman answered and I asked in a pre-disappoint tone, "Hi, my name is Eric, I saw that you have a Tesoro Detector listed for sale, I suppose you already sold it, right?" The lady replied back, "No, I still have it". At that point I about felt the need to scream a loud WOOHOO into the telephone, but I managed to hold that in. She told me that her husband was a local gold dredger and prospector that recently passed away, his last wish in life was to go nugget shooting in Arizona and sadly, he never got the chance to. He had only used this machine 3 times. I ended up becoming the new owner of this barely used machine for $350.

The aggrivating part was that I was on a limited time frame as I had to be back in town by 8pm today, and yet I was right there in the heart of North Carolina's gold belt, only 4 miles from the Reed's mine (where large nuggets were harvested like potatoes at one time). To ad lemon juice to this papercut, the lady and her sone were pointing to the creek right across the street and telling me how there is excellent chunky gold still found in there. AUUGHH! Here I am armed with a truly hot gold machine and not even a minute to spare to use it, while a gold bearing property was 100 yards from where I stood!! I garauntee that I am going back to that place the moment I can get an entire weekend off. The whole area there is absolutely loaded with colonial era properties and homes, as well as still being a great gold producer. I am now sitting here just itching to go swing this thing like a mad-man the moment I can get back out!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man don't you feel a fever coming on and the chills. You may have to call off work and take off for the weekend.....Matt

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cough Cough!!! I don't feel very good today!!!! I wont be In. Chug :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Of course my boss would Say Metal detecting Again!! LOL Chug!!! Knowing my boss She would say Great Are you caught UP!!! Always until the sun starts shining! :laughing7: :laughing7: !!!!!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do like I used to do.......call in "well", that always throws them. Or, if you want more time, tell them you came down with a sudden case of polio and you won't be back till next week. Best yet, just tell them you quit and live off of the gold you find!!! :hello2:

'Grats on finding the machine you wanted at a very good price!

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Roland58 said:
Do like I used to do.......call in "well", that always throws them. Or, if you want more time, tell them you came down with a sudden case of polio and you won't be back till next week.

:laughing7: :headbang:

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Capt, did you notice the post the other day about a 1 1/2 oz nugget found about 4 miles from Reed>? I need to get down there myself.

Congrats on the new detector. :icon_thumright:

Todays finds, Feb 3rd.

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
NaturalJWL said:
Capt, did you notice the post the other day about a 1 1/2 oz nugget found about 4 miles from Reed>? I need to get down there myself.

Congrats on the new detector. :icon_thumright:

Todays finds, Feb 3rd.

Yes I did, I even mentioned it to the people I bought the metal detector from......but only AFTER I took posession of the detector ;D

HotTexas

Jul 11, 2007
Roland58 said:
Do like I used to do.......call in "well", that always throws them. Or, if you want more time, tell them you came down with a sudden case of polio and you won't be back till next week. Best yet, just tell them you quit and live off of the gold you find!!! :hello2:

Polio IS DEADLY, and if you do survive there is a good chance you want be back at all and a good chance you want ever be able to metal detect ever again!!!!!

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
HotTexas said:
Roland58 said:

Polio IS DEADLY, and if you do survive there is a good chance you want be back at all and a good chance you want ever be able to metal detect ever again!!!!!

He was joking.

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I used to live in Charlotte in the late 70's/early 80's and did the Reed Gold Mine tour once. For 25 years, I've often wished I had gotten a metal detector and detected that stream that went out of the hills and into the open farmland. I remember the guide telling the old story of the little boy who found the first, huge shiny rock there (17 pounds, I see now, in 1799) and used it as a doorstop before somebody bought it from him for a few dollars. Let's see, if that was 100% gold, it'd be about $350,000 or so!

Now I've finally gotten my first detector and I'm probably many years too late and 500 miles away! Best of luck there! :icon_thumright: Maybe no more gold boulders in Little Meadow Creek (and it's probably all condos or something, by now!), but I'm sure there's still "gold in them thar hills!"

- Kayaker

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cap'n Crunch said:
HotTexas said:
Roland58 said:

He was joking.

Holy Smoke, Hot Texas! You may want to go through wherever you store things and see if you can locate your sense of humor! I agree with you that polio is a dreaded affliction and very serious, in fact, I grew up in a period when it was rampant and I thank God for Jonas Salk! Maybe I should have told CC to call in 'dead.' :thumbsup:

My sincere apology if you were in any way offended, but, like CC said........"I was joking."

scterryc

Jan 29, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett GTA 350
Cap'n Crunch said:
Two nights ago, I was chomping at the bit wanting to get a detector that would perform better as a coin/relic machine than my Garrett Infinium has been doing. So that night I was searching long and hard on Craigslist, looking at every listing I could find in any major town and city listed that was in a reasonable driving distance for me to get to and back within an 8 hour time frame. I ran across many detectors, but they all seemed to fall short of what I have been wanting. All I found were the top of the line model for cheapo detectors, or the were true dinosaurs. I ended coming across a listing that had exactly what I was looking for, a Tesoro Lobo Supertraq..... but it was listed multiple times. I thought "oh great, this one has so many repeat listings that it has to have been sold by now". I got up early the next morning, expecting a major disapointment, I dialed anyways.....an old woman answered and I asked in a pre-disappoint tone, "Hi, my name is Eric, I saw that you have a Tesoro Detector listed for sale, I suppose you already sold it, right?" The lady replied back, "No, I still have it". At that point I about felt the need to scream a loud WOOHOO into the telephone, but I managed to hold that in. She told me that her husband was a local gold dredger and prospector that recently passed away, his last wish in life was to go nugget shooting in Arizona and sadly, he never got the chance to. He had only used this machine 3 times. I ended up becoming the new owner of this barely used machine for $350.

The aggrivating part was that I was on a limited time frame as I had to be back in town by 8pm today, and yet I was right there in the heart of North Carolina's gold belt, only 4 miles from the Reed's mine (where large nuggets were harvested like potatoes at one time). To ad lemon juice to this papercut, the lady and her sone were pointing to the creek right across the street and telling me how there is excellent chunky gold still found in there. AUUGHH! Here I am armed with a truly hot gold machine and not even a minute to spare to use it, while a gold bearing property was 100 yards from where I stood!! I garauntee that I am going back to that place the moment I can get an entire weekend off. The whole area there is absolutely loaded with colonial era properties and homes, as well as still being a great gold producer. I am now sitting here just itching to go swing this thing like a mad-man the moment I can get back out!

Woohoo .....Hey want me to write you a note saying why you weren't at work few days,,,,,,got any doctor friends that owe ya????? Ummmm just sayin...lol

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!

Woohoo .....Hey want me to write you a note saying why you weren't at work few days,,,,,,got any doctor friends that owe ya????? Ummmm just sayin...lol
[/quote]

I appreciate that thought and offer, but it wouldnt work....... I am currently working with my dad. He's impossible to fool. :wink:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cap'n Crunch said:

I appreciate that thought and offer, but it wouldnt work....... I am currently working with my dad. He's impossible to fool. :wink:
[/quote]

Hey, I got it! Just buy him a detector, too!

scterryc

Jan 29, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett GTA 350
Roland58 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:

Hey, I got it! Just buy him a detector, too!
[/quote]
That's a good idea but keep an eye on him he may make u work and him go out....lol

HotTexas

Jul 11, 2007
I know you were joking Roland, I understand that. I never loose my sense of humor, well just leave it at that :icon_thumleft: Sorry I said anything.

Capt. Hope you enjoy your new detector, Keep us posted on it :headbang:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Roland58 said:

I used to manage an auto salvage yard and I had an employee that would call in "drunk" now & then. He would tell me he was still buzzed from the night before and wasn't coming in. I laughed so hard at his honesty that I would just tell him I'd see him tomorrow and it's not like he did it often or that the business couldn't run without him there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions