I got myself into the madness now!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks... I was searching pennies and with canada scrapping the penny, i feel that america is soon to follow... I did 2 boxes of pennies last week and hand sorted out all pre 1981(to guarantee 100% accuracy), and put them into rolls... I do not plan on going crazy like many on here, but it would be nice to have $50 in copper pennies sitting around, what do you all think?
I think I am wasting my time, but you never know...
HH
Buff

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Since you are hand-sorting, you might as well look for errors and varieties. You don't need to look at everyone up close, but if you were sorting copper and you wanted to also check for '72 DDO, just toss the '72 cents off to the side separate from the other copper heap and then check them at your leisure.

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks... I was searching pennies and with canada scrapping the penny, i feel that america is soon to follow... I did 2 boxes of pennies last week and hand sorted out all pre 1981(to guarantee 100% accuracy), and put them into rolls... I do not plan on going crazy like many on here, but it would be nice to have $50 in copper pennies sitting around, what do you all think?
HH
Buff

Ive started doing the same while Im not a fan of the penny I have to admit it is fun I have a bunch a wheats and have even found a few die errors last weekend I got a 1962 dime in a roll that was all my silver for the week good thing I got the pennies

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should cash in all your useless clad and your pile of pennys and nicks use the money to find more silver. It would give you a bigger bank roll!! Happy hunting buff,,,,,,,,,,,,,

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
HH
Buff

I have done a few boxes here and there, mostly my son does the pennies, but I have at least 25-35 dollars in copper pennies put aside, like you said, you never know. If you need the cash, you can allways turn them in.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies are a poor mans silver. That is why I do pennies. :laughing7:

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
copper being a poor man's silver, say that in 50 years, zinc will be a poor man's copper!
pennies are fun to search, and i search them a lot, but i do like silver better :happysmiley:

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This debate comes up quite often on here. I sort pennies when the silver has dried up - after a recent 17 box skunk streak of halves and opening 6 boxes of solid 2012 nickels and dimes - pennies are a welcome repreive. Pennies are fun because you are pretty much guaranteed to get some sort of keeper, and theres no harm in keeping a few pounds of copper socked away for the future.

Remember, no one really thought silver would ever be worth much in the 1950s and 60s either.

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been thinking about doing the same, Buff. I'll still hunt halves and dimes, but instead of nickels go through cents. Who knows, maybe in 20 years copper will be the new silver?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread