I got one!

becky21b

Jul 12, 2010
Santa Cruz, Ca
;D I finally got a MD! I came home from work, came in the house, saw a box sitting on the hope chest, I asked my Boyfriend whats in the box.... he said I dont know.. I uncovered it and its a Tesoro Tiger Shark! I was so excited! so I've been messing with it trying to figure it out, been reading the manual online. Took it to the beach today, I found a pull tab and a bottle cap! lol IT was soooo Hot out today at the beach I only lasted an hour. Any advise from anyone would be helpful, Im gonna keep playing with it and reading the manual instrustions. I'm so excited to get out there and hunt!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Becky, I know of no beach hunters anywhere on the central coast here, who use Tesoros for the beach. A few land hunters have Tesoro's for certain land applications (they're good for ghost-town type urban demolition type hunting). But for the wet salt, everyone around here is swinging Minelabs, Whites, or Fishers. So I'm not even sure if your's is auto-track, or what.

From reviews I quickly glance at now, it seems that ...... while it may be well-suited for wet salt, yet mineralization (blacker sands) may start to give it fits. Most of our beaches around here (with the exception of Carmel) have varying degrees of mineralization. All you can do is try it. If you get down there on a good day (during erosion cycles) and you see someone else digging like crazy out on the wet, a good learning technique is to ask them to "flag" a few deeper signals. Then you try over the spot, and see how well you can hear them. This is better than trying to bury a target, because even factors like firm packed sand (verses sand you just through back in a hole for a test target) can make a difference in the way the machine responds.

Right now, I don't know of any erosion going on up there, because there hasn't been any south swells for a long time. But the fall swells (early arriving Alaskan NW swells) can start as early as Oct & Nov. Those would affect NW facing beaches, to the south of Moss Landing. Watch the kinzli CA forum, where some of us central coast guys compare notes and observations on there.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay !!! I can not imagine any Tesoro made to hunt any condition not working well. The trick is to learn the machine and hunt in the wet salt modes. Lifetime warranty and not all the displays you see the other guys working with and trying to adjust all the time. Crazy thing is if you start with a Tesoro no matter what you buy in the future you will always feel good knowing you have one in case all else fails.
Have fun and show us your treasure. It does sounds like Tom- In- Ca knows about tides :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer

Attachments

• largelogotigershark.gif
    largelogotigershark.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 841

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
becky21b said:
;D I finally got a MD! I came home from work, came in the house, saw a box sitting on the hope chest, I asked my Boyfriend whats in the box.... he said I dont know.. I uncovered it and its a Tesoro Tiger Shark! I was so excited! so I've been messing with it trying to figure it out, been reading the manual online. Took it to the beach today, I found a pull tab and a bottle cap! lol IT was soooo Hot out today at the beach I only lasted an hour. Any advise from anyone would be helpful, Im gonna keep playing with it and reading the manual instrustions. I'm so excited to get out there and hunt!

Congrats! The early days when I first began detecting, 4 months ago, were my most exciting and fun. I'm happy for ya! You might wanna keep that BF ;-) martin

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your machine is too sensitive for the salty sand , NOT TO WORRY! Go to dry sand... around the consession stands. End of the piers. Parking lots. Go WHEREVER PEOPLE GATHER. You'll do fine, Good luck. TTC

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Becky,

I use the Sand Shark, a pulse induction detector, that is the cousin of the Tiger Shark, a VLF detector. I know the Tiger is excellent on small gold which is a real advantage, and I know the Tiger comes with a salt water mode, but I hear conflicting reports about how it does in the surf.

It should handle the wet sand pretty well with some loss of depth.

Strange they call it the Tiger Shark when it seems it was designed primarily for fresh water use, but I guess calling it the "Guppie" wouldn't market as well. ;D

Seriously though, type in "Tiger Shark" in the search box or go to the Tesoro forum under "Brands" on this website and scroll through the entries. You'll find out a lot about the Tiger Shark there.

From what you're describing, your settings may be off. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help to you.

Sep 8, 2010
Blount County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 & Garrett Pin Pointer
Welcome to the exciting life of treasure hunting Becky... You cant go wrong with a Tesoro, the tiger shark and the sand shark are top of the line machines and from my research on the Tiger Shark it should have a Norm mode and a Salt Mode which would definately be what you would need at the beach.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tiger Shark worked very well at the beach in Oregon, even in the surf...No problems at all. I think you'll like it, and good luck in your searches. Niffler

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Means Treasure! It's been my experience Tesoro's are tough and reliable. Good choice. Keep us updated. Tom

wildjim

Oct 1, 2006
Becky, I think you've got an excellent detector for what you want to do. I considered that one too, but wound up with an MXT and a Sov GT. I wanted to recommend the Tesoro Compadre to you as a starter detector but you now have that and much more. In fact, I bought a Compadre recently and found several coins the first hour or so I used it. On most forums you read, they will ultimately tell you to dig all nonferous targets, everything above iron, because the gold jewelry is mixed with all that foil, pulltabs, etc. So when it comes right down to it, all those expensive detectors are not helping you much more than a simple detector that will fine tune out iron [the Compadre], because you still have most all those nonferrous targets to choose from. Granted, it MAY not go as deep in salty and mineralized ground. But you have an advantage over the GT and MXT because you CAN get in the water with it [like those streams that cross Hwy. 49] and unlike the pulse machines you have the excellent discrimination. OK, let me make a couple of suggestions to you and I'll shut up. Turn the discrimination all the way up rejecting everything except dimes and quarters [and silver jewelry] and go back and have fun with it that way. After you get a little more confident, learn to ID the foil and nickles and dig that and you will also be digging most of the gold jewelry. It will mostly be in the tot lots and the vollyball/soccer type areas. And show us those finds, even the junk. Good luck.
James

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
becky21b said:
IT was soooo Hot out today at the beach I only lasted an hour.

Judging from your pic, you appear to be a rather fair skinned redheaded lass.
Back home in FLA, I dated one of those, once upon a time. I do recall that the beach was usually out of the equation on sunny days. Most people tan. 10 minutes under the sun and that poor girl would combust into flames.

I'm guessing some hardcore SPF and a big hat might help :wink:

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wtg becky!!
main thing is to know your machine!!
now, get to the hunt!!!

OP
OP
becky21b

becky21b

Jul 12, 2010
Santa Cruz, Ca
LSMorgan said:
becky21b said:
IT was soooo Hot out today at the beach I only lasted an hour.

Judging from your pic, you appear to be a rather fair skinned redheaded lass.
Back home in FLA, I dated one of those, once upon a time. I do recall that the beach was usually out of the equation on sunny days. Most people tan. 10 minutes under the sun and that poor girl would combust into flames.

I'm guessing some hardcore SPF and a big hat might help :wink:

LOL yes Im always careful in the sun.. or Ill be as red as a lobster. luckily its winter soon so the sun isnt as hot..

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Hey! Way to go and congratulations! Here's my two cents...I'm not familiar with your machine what so ever, but what I do know, and believe all will agree, is that you and your machine have just got to become equated with each other. It may take an hour, it may take 2-3 weeks, but once you doooooooooooo, "OH BOY"! You'll be fine and just keep at it, keep at it, keep at it. Happy for ya! :hello2: :hello: Paul, NY

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
The real answer is SUNSCREEN SPF 50 or higher. I also wear Coolibar sun protecting long sleeve shirts and a neck drape hat. Gloves are a must. I am a red head also....
Once you get comfortable with the enviroment, you can get down to the treasure hunting.
HH Gayle

andy from de

Sep 28, 2010
dover delaware
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro
Pratice, pratice, pratice, Patience, patience, patience. don't give up even if you dig 20 pull tabs in a row. :icon_sunny: :read2: There is a lot of good info that can help you out there. It helped me too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread