I guess it was my turn to be approached by a cop

Paul from SFbayarea

Mar 23, 2013
Union City, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Other
I was on my 8th dig or so at an old park when I notice a cop car roll up and park. He got out and headed my way. I kept doing what I was doing until he made it over to me. He asked "so, what are ya doin?" I replied "Hey there! Oh, I'm just digging a target I found with my metal detector. Am I not supposed to be here? Did someone report me??" he says "no, nothing like that. I was just driving by and noticed you digging a hole in the middle of the park so I wanted to see what was going on". I had a plug already dug out with the dirt on a towel, so since I had visuals ready for him to see, I basically explained the process of how it all works since he seemed unfamiliar with detecting in general. I told him there is a right and a wrong way to do this, and I, along with 99.9% of other detectorists always follow proper ettiquette, with the main point being that we leave no trace. I mentioned that I'd already recovered several items about 20-30 feet away. He looked around and agreed that it looked like I knew what I was doing and that I wasn't going to be leaving a mess or a bunch of gopher holes behind. I was polite, and he listened to everything I had to say. At that moment, I felt like I was in a position where I could sort of be an ambassador to this hobby, so since this was his first experience with a detectorist, I did whatever I could to paint all detectorists in the best light possible so we seem like a positive force, and not negative annoyance. I also let him know that when I find or dig up garbage, I take it out with me or toss it in the trash. At one point near the beginning of the conversation, he did ask for my ID and I told him it was in the car about 50 yards away. I said I could go get it. He said, "no, I won't make you walk all the way over there. Just give me your name". I understand he's just doing his job so see if I had any warrants or if I was on parole so I have no problem with that. After talking to him for awhile, he seemed to show more interest and it got to the point of him asking how much they cost, how deep can they detect, and what all can be found with a detector. It ended with him telling me that he thought he's seen me at other parks before, and that he knows who I am now, that I'm just doing my thing and not causing any harm or trouble, and to continue on with the hunt and enjoy the day, and that he won't be bothering me anymore if he sees me again. I hope he relays the message at some point to the other officers about this little talk we had, and lets them know that detectorists are not a bad thing. First impressions are long lasting. So now if he sees other detectorists in the future, I'm sure he'll think nothing of it. Who knows, if I'd shown him attitude or tried to school him on why I have a right to be here, he might relay that negative message to his fellow officers, and possibly go as far as working to create new rules for no detecting at the local parks in this city since he might assume we're all jerks and possibly up to no good. I'm actually really glad I was approached and could inform him on this great hobby....and that it turned out very well considering some of the other not so good "approached by cops" stories I've read on here.

Here's the plug I had already dug when he walked up.
Photo_040913_003at900.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul from SFbayarea

Paul from SFbayarea

Mar 23, 2013
Union City, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Other
So out of the blue a cop rolls up asking for id and checking warrants.....sounds like the gestapo at work

He didn't just automatically ask for ID. He initially just came up to me wondering what the heck I was doing. He asked for ID after talking to him for a few minutes, along with the standard "have you ever been arrested before" question. I think it's standard protocol (at least around here in the bay area) to have your name run through the system when you've been stopped for pretty much anything. Especially if there is some suspicious activity going on. Since I came off as very friendly from the get go, I assume he felt that I wasn't a threat, so it wasn't something he demanded, but casually asked for. He totally could have made me walk back to the car for my actual ID, but I think because of how I presented myself, he trusted that I was honest in telling him who I was.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way to go, using a drop cloth. Kudos for you.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A job well done Paul, this is something I have yet to learn. :icon_thumright:

The last time I had a situation like that, I told the officer I was burying my parakeet and now that you're here, I'll have to make the hole a heck of a lot bigger :laughing7:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A job well done Paul, this is something I have yet to learn. :icon_thumright:

The last time I had a situation like that, I told the officer I was burying my parakeet and now that you're here, I'll have to make the hole a heck of a lot bigger :laughing7:

ROFLMAO!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well each state has there own laws and if you dont know them your better off acting like a sheep but when you do know the laws its much more interesting ...in my state the police must reasonably suspect you of committing, about to commit or have committed a crime..although they dont follow there own rules ive been id'd for bowfishing ..nothing to do with committing any crime

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He didn't just automatically ask for ID. He initially just came up to me wondering what the heck I was doing. He asked for ID after talking to him for a few minutes, along with the standard "have you ever been arrested before" question. I think it's standard protocol (at least around here in the bay area) to have your name run through the system when you've been stopped for pretty much anything. Especially if there is some suspicious activity going on. Since I came off as very friendly from the get go, I assume he felt that I wasn't a threat, so it wasn't something he demanded, but casually asked for. He totally could have made me walk back to the car for my actual ID, but I think because of how I presented myself, he trusted that I was honest in telling him who I was.

Nice job. But I would have been tempted to tell him that my name was Tater Salad! And this is my son Tater Tot.

Duffala

Sep 25, 2012
Mountain Home, idaho
Detector(s) used
On my second Garrett Ace 250 ; Garrett Pro- Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So out of the blue a cop rolls up asking for id and checking warrants.....sounds like the gestapo at work

As it was said that the cop was unfamiliar with metal detecting.. It sounds like he was just checking the situation out. Anytime LEO has contact with someone depending on the department and their policy its typical to ask for Identification for documentation for of point of contact and to see if the person has any wants . You wouldn't believe how many people who get arrested by a officer community policing that have wants. Sounds like the officer was just curious. If he wanted to be a prick he could have been.. but he wasn't and who knows maybe he went home and ordered a metal detector. Far from being the Gestapo

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it was said that the cop was unfamiliar with metal detecting.. It sounds like he was just checking the situation out. Anytime LEO has contact with someone depending on the department and their policy its typical to ask for Identification for documentation for of point of contact and to see if the person has any wants . You wouldn't believe how many people who get arrested by a officer community policing that have wants. Sounds like the officer was just curious. If he wanted to be a prick he could have been.. but he wasn't and who knows maybe he went home and ordered a metal detector. Far from being the Gestapo
Without probable cause he wouldnt get an id from me ...im sick of the nazi like treatment i thought this was the united states

Duffala

Sep 25, 2012
Mountain Home, idaho
Detector(s) used
On my second Garrett Ace 250 ; Garrett Pro- Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without probable cause he wouldnt get an id from me ...im sick of the nazi like treatment i thought this was the united states
Terry Vs. Ohio is a perfect example of PC. Behavior out of the ordinary (this officer didnt know what he was up to in the park for our instance)

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dang, ive only been approached my a dog catcher while Jsmith (member here) & I were out detecting an old park.
I was worried (since i was scraggly looking that day) that she was about to fine Jsmith for not having me muzzled or on a leash.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Vs. Ohio is a perfect example of PC. Behavior out of the ordinary (this officer didnt know what he was up to in the park for our instance)
He knew excatly what he was up to as he told him he was metal detecting and had a metal detector in hand ....he only ran the id for warrants but that doesnt make it right

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work, your hole looks just like any I would did even in the boondocks, and the officer was only doing his job. Recently I was at a party and a State Police officer was in attendance and I explained to him what I recently dug, which I thought was a pipe for illegal drugs. LOL! Hey I am old, what the hell do I know. He laughed and confirmed what I dug was illegal drug paraphilia and stressed I really didn't want to have it in my car. After he asked me a million questions he asked would I be interested in helping them on crime scenes if need be and I said sure, I would be glad to help. So a little education goes a long way...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems some people here don't grasp the nature of a policeman's job. I have no relatives in this field, so I am in no way biased toward LEO. As the old saying ( which could be posted on another good thread here ) goes: You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I am sure a policeman that is human and NOT a saint or extremely divine would react according to the person being questioned. It seems to me he was doing his job and making sure public property was not in danger or being misused. You were polite and answered his questions and he made the decision that all was well. I believe that was exactly what he and you were supposed to do. In this time of war, let us not forget those who face danger in our behalf.

DEHew64

Jan 29, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Stinger
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. But I would have been tempted to tell him that my name was Tater Salad! And this is my son Tater Tot.

That does not work and they don't think it's funny at least around my neck of the woods in North Central Texas

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of the parks and places that I detect are full of trash on the ground. I always make an effort to pick this up as I go. The two times that I have ever been approached while detecting, both times they took notice that I had been picking up garbage, which is probably why I never got in trouble. Instead of having that "greedy treasure hunter" appearance that modern society and television has placed upon us, why not do some community service along the way. After all, we are TAKING something from the parks, why not put a little back into to them by cleaning up a little. Keep your garbage in a separate bag, so when that cop or park worker shows up to see what you are doing, make sure to mention that you are picking up trash too.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of the parks and places that I detect are full of trash on the ground. I always make an effort to pick this up as I go. The two times that I have ever been approached while detecting, both times they took notice that I had been picking up garbage, which is probably why I never got in trouble. Instead of having that "greedy treasure hunter" appearance that modern society and television has placed upon us, why not do some community service along the way. After all, we are TAKING something from the parks, why not put a little back into to them by cleaning up a little. Keep your garbage in a separate bag, so when that cop or park worker shows up to see what you are doing, make sure to mention that you are picking up trash too.

:occasion14:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To all of us, digging a hole in the park is not unusual. To a cop, maybe not so much. Cops are responsible for protecting public property. The fact that they want to know what your doing and the extent of digging involve is not an unusual act on their part. Paul did the correct thing. He acted rationally with a very positive result. I might add here that I'm sure there are some that may have had a different result. I make it a habit to carry with me a small notebook and pen. It enables me to copy down the name and badge number of the officer confronting me should there be a problem. That alone may turn a conversation to the positive. Also in this notebook are the names of the division chiefs of all the precincts in my town. If I believe I'm in the right and the officer is in the wrong I will mention that I will be visiting Chief """" in the morning to discuss this matter. In any event if the officer directs me to leave an area, even if he's wrong, I leave. Don't argue. I just make sure that he knows, It ain't over.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Just trying to do my part to put a positive spin on our hobby. Some people tend to think it's a little strange and possibly destructive to parks and other public places and I'm gonna do my best to change that. I realize every encounter won't be a nice one, but I'm going to try my best to keep a smile on my face and act friendly regardless. :wave:

As for what I found in that hole? Ya know, I'm not really sure what it is? It's a brass ring of some sort that could be used as a bracelet for someone with smaller hands than me, but it looks like it might have been meant for something else since it's not "pretty looking" and just a ring. No designs or lettering, and it doesn't look like it would be comfortable to wear (no smooth edges). It's about 2 1/2 inches across, and the width is one inch. I found it about a foot down. I was gonna post a closeup of it soon along with the other finds from that park. ;D
Figures.....the only times I've been questioned by anyone was when I had a mega-hole going......never and easy shallow target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread