I.H Penny - What VDI?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Can anyone tell me a good notch discrimination technique that would allow me to focus in on indian head pennies? (using a signal at 3khz on a white's DFX)

I read in an older book that Indian Head Pennies show up btw 36-65 VDI. That's a pretty broad range. Is that acccurate? If I use 3khz on my White's DFX - where would they actually show up? I have a couple from 1864 and 1865 and tested them - they show up 51-55.

My reason for asking, I want to notch out below 45 because I hit an old park with thousands and thousands of pull tabs. It's almost too much to handle. I don't want to miss the indian heads that I know are there. I can deal with losing the nickels. Can this be done effectively?

thank you,
ian

Upvote 0

willie3960

May 29, 2006
Long Isliand N.Y.
Detector(s) used
DFX .MXT.
last one i found came up at 55 down about 5 inches . you can go to dfx only web site theirs a lot of great info on the dfx. hope this helps.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since any coin can read within a wide range of VDI readings, it would be difficult to zero in on just Indian Head pennies because of the different ground matrix. Suppose you had a small piece of foil very close to the penny, the reading could be in the low fifties. Then there is the thought that all them pull tabs are registering where most gold rings are reading. The DFX is not a Minelab with BBS and will null out a penny near iron.

I suggest that if you don't want to have a chance at the gold rings, search with a very small coil and dig everything from 50 to 70 and then you will still miss some.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread