I had to sit down after this one!

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009
Look what I pulled out of a roll today. When I first saw it, I was like "my first foreign coin" because I knew it wasnt a kennedy, ben, or walker. Then I realized what it was. I couldn't believe it, and it's in such good shape. I've never found anything older than a Ben. Anyone else ever found anything like this? This came from a very small town with only one bank. They had $70 in halves and I got this coin plus a 64 and a couple 40s. I almost missed them to because I got there at 1PM and I guess they close for lunch at 1PM because they were locking the door when I got there. I got really lucky. I went to another bank in another small town today and they had $1020 in halves. I couldn't buy them all so I got $200. It only produced 2 40s. I guess I need to get the others now that I know that there is some silver in it.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

Upvote 0

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
My oldest half is a 1917 Walker. My oldest CRHing find was a 1900 V nickel. Congrats on the old silver. :hello2:

OP
OP
S

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009
I almost forgot. Anybody have any idea what this coin is worth? Thanks for the quick comments.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet seated! I would grade it about EF-40. Red book value $200. Nice find.
HH
enamel7

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin, good shape too

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
That is a nice find. Great shape too. Congrats - :icon_thumright:

Maine_Jim

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Diver_Down said:
Very nice find. Congrats. There was an old seated pulled from circulation last year. Yours is the best I've seen in CRH'ing. Persistence pays off.
There was a few found last year- here's mine. Don't mean to hijack, congrats on yours. HH Mark
SeatedLibertyHalf002-1.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Silver Stripe said:
Diver_Down said:
Very nice find. Congrats. There was an old seated pulled from circulation last year. Yours is the best I've seen in CRH'ing. Persistence pays off.
There was a few found last year- here's mine. Don't mean to hijack, congrats on yours. HH Mark
SeatedLibertyHalf002-1.jpg

I remember and there was another that so worn slick you could make out the type by the silhouette. Yours is indeed a nice find, also, but the OP'ers coin has the "Liberty" clear and distinct with the edge of the scrolls clearly defined. Also, the clasp on her shoulder is visible. Really a nice find.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Diver_Down said:
I remember and there was another that so worn slick you could make out the type by the silhouette. Yours is indeed a nice find, also, but the OP'ers coin has the "Liberty" clear and distinct with the edge of the scrolls clearly defined. Also, the clasp on her shoulder is visible. Really a nice find.
I need to work on my coin photography, when I post pics of silver bars people ask ME if they're gold LOL, guy on another forum fixes them for ME just to be a smarta$$. HH Mark

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
I just fell of my seat that is one great and sweet looking coin iam so happy for you iam waiting for my first seated i was happy to find my first walker last week . HH RON

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Stumpy,
That's a very nice coin you found. I would grade it as Very Fine to EF-40. Has very clear rims and full eagle chest. Also full Liberty and reverse letters. Should be worth about $100 plus. Don't even think about trying to clean it! Leave it as it is. Put it in a mylar 2x2 folder and hang onto it for years to come. You'll be glad you kept it! Remember, Abraham Lincoln was only dead six years when that coin was minted.
rileyboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread