Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I stopped by a garage sale. Lots of stuff and cheap. I spoke to the young man and his wife who are holding the garage sale in preparation of selling their house. Very interesting fellow. He has an interest in tropical fish and was selling off some of his tanks. That's a great hobby, so I told him I was a treasure hunter. I handed him my card and he started to tell me about how he and his boy dug out a Koy pond in the backyard. In the process of digging, he came across an Indian Head Penny. He ran upstairs to get it and show me. I told him, "So Cool!" Then I asked if he would show me the pond. We went to the backyard and I started asking questions that would lead up to me getting permission to hunt his acre of land. I also managed to get permission to hunt with another Tnetter. There is also an old Farmhouse in back of his property where the owner passed away. He has permission to be on that land from the farmer's son.
We bought a few tools and then left. When I called him back to tell him I would be there on Sunday, he started to say things like, "Well you know if you find anything of value, its on my land, so it belongs to me.
After a conversation that explained how rarely does a person give us permission and then ask for us to give him whatever we find. I explained that we search for old coins but it is rare that we find a coin that is worth a ton of money. He said,, well I do want to see what you find. I may want to sell it.
We left it at, let's see what we find. I even offered to give him any jewelry we might find. So we are set to hunt it on Sunday. Do you guys think I should bother. My partner already gave me a suggestion that we split up and only show him the clad. Do you guys think I should even bother??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. I wouldn't do it. Just my gut instinct. Too many easy places without any chance of a possible hassle.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could get nasty if you find something he may want. Who knows he might want to watch you while you are detecting. But I would do it anyway. If two of you are out there he can’t keep an eye on both of you at the same time. I would still do it though.

Timebandit

Apr 9, 2018
Plymouth, WI
Detector(s) used
Etrac, F2, F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that’s a tough one...you don’t want to give up a good permission but it sounds like he is going to lay claim to your finds. I think the bottom line is - are you ok with the possibility that you can’t keep everything you find? It still sounds like a good opportunity and he may just lighten up once you are there talking to him again.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Naw, don't do it. He's shown his hand. Wait for the new owners, tell them you had permission from the previous owner, and would they let you hunt it, too. LOL. Wouldn't be an outright lie.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a fella do this once, so I told him that if he really thinks there is something valuable on his property, I would charge him $20 to teach him how to use my $5,000.00 Minelab metal detector, and stay with him as long as he wished to hunt. He went for it because he was greedy, and thought he was getting to use a top-of-the-line machine cheap. Of course I chose one of the heaviest machines I owned at the time! The next morning I got him all set up with a Lesche and kneepads, put the splitter on the earphones and off we went.

A few nails and some canslaw later, I could see the enthusiasm in his eyes fading. He lasted less than 40-minutes. I said, "Tell ya what, you let me hunt now, keep what I find, and I'll give you back your $20." He agreed, so I went to the car, got my Tejon, and ended up with a couple of seated coins and a silver ring. I didn't show him! :skullflag:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not even close for me
would you get to hunt it at all without his permission? no
I would hunt anywhere even if I cannot keep it
you still will be the one who FOUND it, just get pics

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Reads like the owner has $$ signs in his eyes.
Will he expect you to produce?
And if you do not?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't walk away from a deal like that------------------------------RUN like a Grizzly bear was chasing you.
Marvin

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes RUN AWAY very fast. First, he'll assume you are hiding stuff from him, even if it is imaginary. You could even get sued for "stealing" from him. The nutjobs are out there. Find another place.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Hunt it!!! With him in tow. Just only dig the iron...pulltabs..nails..etc. When he tires out and leaves get the good stuff!!!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's see...I do all the hard work and you get all the fruits of that.

Where do I sign up? 😠

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a coin shooter. If I ask permission to hunt a property I put it up front that all relics and jewelry or personal items I'll turn over but the coins are mine.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the exact same deal I make, Charlie. 😁

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreements that start off like this one I would do my best to avoid. One never knows but the intuition usually does.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. That's the start of a bad relationship. If he was really interested in knowing what was on his land, he should dig it. What the point of hunting and not keeping the spoils anyway??

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey he was excited about the indian head penny so offer him to rent an extra machine from you. have him stay with you and teach him how then watch him get frustrated when he digs the trash. He is taking his Indian head penny find as this is a everyday occurrence and all of us know that coins are not easy to come by....while the trash is.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a pirate, take all you can, give nothing back - Jack Sparrow.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
you're a hagler ! he's a hagler ! hagle,hagle,hagle ! beforehand make the agreement you can keep all coins. he wont know anything about what might be collectable ? all he'll notice is bling. and ask if any jewelry has been lost on the property he knows of ? and keep us informed.

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he gave you permission for the wrong reason....nuff said

Chub

Top Member Reactions