I have a Grand to spend and need advice on model and coil....

Thebig21

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2014
Richland, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brand spanking new to this hobby... I live in Mississippi and will hunt locations such as old farm sites, homesteads, hills, bottomlands, woods, city parks, river mud and sand...just basically country land. Our soil is has a lot of clay and some sand in most areas. I am looking at the Fisher F70 but not sure if this is right for me. I have been researching different models, coils, frequency's, etc... but this is all new to me. If you were me and had a $1,000 OR LESS to spend on a good unit for a hobby, what would be your best 3 choices. One more question, what is the difference in coils such as DD, Elliptical, etc...

Any help before I purchase would be well accepted!!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DD coils are two loops side-by side that create a narrow field between the two coils. The field can also be thought of as a "D" with the flat along the axis of the coil and the rounded bottom down into the soil. If you are centered over a coin 8" deep with a 10" DD coil the field will be strongest in a narrow area about 2" wide and 8" long with the coin in the center.

Concentric is a coil within a coil and they create a cone shaped field. If you are centered over a coin 8" deep with a 10" Concentric coil it will be in the middle of a 6" field. These are, of course, just approximations to help you visualize what the detector is "seeing".

Elliptical is a concentric coil that is not round but oval.

How you pinpoint the target depends on whic coil. The DD you make narrower and narrower sweeps and back off and where it just hits at the tip is the target. Another method is to sweep and look at the ground where the sound appears loudest, then turn the coil 90° and repeat. You can center the target pretty well with this method.

Concentric you center it over the strongest signal.

For $1,000 - you haven't told us what you will be hunting - relics or coins - so for my soil and coins (in order):

Fisher F75 or Teknetics T2 (about the same)
Minelab Safari
Tesoro Cortez

Last edited:

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Xterra 705 and add another coil possibly even a waterproof one. That's my suggestion. Charlie covered your questions pretty well.

OP
OP
T

Thebig21

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2014
Richland, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the F70 to save a few bucks and with the 2 coil package I can get a second MD (much cheaper unit) for around $150. I should have it in my hands in 4-5 days. I am looking for a MD to search for coins and relics such as Civil War items as there are many spots that I have access to where the troops should have come thru and possibly camped at times...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the F70 to save a few bucks and with the 2 coil package I can get a second MD (much cheaper unit) for around $150. I should have it in my hands in 4-5 days. I am looking for a MD to search for coins and relics such as Civil War items as there are many spots that I have access to where the troops should have come thru and possibly camped at times...

Be sure to save some money for a pinpointer and a good shovel. I have been using a Makro PP for a few weeks and I really like it. In the mud I find the nearest puddle and do the "dip and shake" to get the mud off. Shovel wise, I would get something you can easily pick up and handle with one hand. I use a Sampson ball end in the fields and muddy sites. You will also want to get a good hand hand digger.

This is about everything that you will initially need to start.

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco detectors have the best deals and they throw in a bunch of extras. I haven't seen anyone beat their prices. I've bought both of mine through them.

OP
OP
T

Thebig21

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2014
Richland, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went today with a friend of mine to a couple soccer fields and an old city park and used his 12 yr. old backup. Found several coins no older than 1975 plus alot of trash. It was a good learning experience to learn to tune out the trash with sounds. Can't wait for the F70 to land at my door....

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to suggest the garrett at pro package plus other goodies you need, but i see you went fisher, love my f2.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eliptical coils are usually Double D coils, not concentric. :skullflag:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eliptical coils are usually Double D coils, not concentric. :skullflag:

my gtax 1250 has an eliptical concentric,they are out there terry,but yes many eliptical are dd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread