I have a question..

speterso

Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son who's 14 showed interest in metal detecting as a toddler. He spends most his days out metal detecting. He was metal detecting the other day and his metal detector went off. He started digging and has dug in 1 hole for 2 days now. The hole is now around 6 feet deep and its packed full of all kinds of old things (some pioneer & indian). He's found several wagon parts. horseshoes, tools and yesterday what looks like indian clothing pieces. It's leather with fringe. Last night he found an old stone sharpening wheel. In 2 days I bet he's found 1k things in this one hole. Any ideas on what to do with the things he's found or if we need to contact someone about it?

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I can say is dig the hole bigger and find more loot.

Check with a close by museum. They just about always want old stuff.

Look on Ebay for some of the stuff you think that might sell. Also a good way to get a price on what stuff goes for.

If it where me, I'll be out there helping him dig. No better way to spend time with a love one.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the best way to receive any help is to post some pictures so that we can better understand the time frame and historical significance of his finds.
What items lead you to believe there was an Indian presence?
Sounds like an exciting dig.
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
S

speterso

Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, there is written documentation of Mormon Pioneers that settled where our house sits. They were ordered to build a fort because of problems with the Shoshone Indians. Part of the fort still exists in several places around our house and has been made into a monument. I've been told that the blacksmith was where our backyard is now. He was out metal detecting and it went crazy so he started digging. He's found probably a thousand things so far in the one hole. It's like somebody threw everything in one hole and buried it. There is also and old foundation around the outside of the hole he's dug. I have lots of pictures I've taken of some of the things he's found. I just need to figure out how to post them. This forum thing is new to me :)

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds interesting for sure.I would also like to see some of the finds so far.
Good luck & happy hunting........................................

OP
OP
S

speterso

Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0602.JPG IMG_0609.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0616.JPG

Here are a few things. Some of the coolest things won't post because it says they're too large? grrrr

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Wow that is some find and one big hole. Have you thought about putting in a pool since you have a nice start going once you clean all the goodies out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread