I have a tesoro umax and I am debating a upgrade... HELP ME PLEASE :>

capgun

Aug 5, 2006
TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax
I bought a umax about a year ago and have found many coins and relics. I mainly coin shoot, but also relic hunt. I was wondering about detectors that have ID's so I can determine if it is a coin, what type, and how deep it is. I do not want to spend over $700.00. I thought about the cotores, I like tesoro, but I did not like the ground balancing and all the batteries. What do you think, what is better than the umax and how much better. Give me your ideas please.

gun

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balance does make a differnce! I have a cibola and just got a vaquero.Pretty much the same machines but the vaquero has GB and the cibola don't. Went over the same ground and made several finds that I had missed . I really pounded the place before and was surprised to find anything.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Birdman on this one. The Vaquero is a fine detector and will do what you are asking of it. Having a ID isn't all it's cracked up to be, but it is fun to think you have a dime down there. However in the real life, that dime reading could easily be something else. Same goes for the pull tab reading on the screen. It could be a gold ring, nickel or any number of desirable targets. If you go by the screen you are going to leave a lot of good things in the ground for the next guy. As for simple turn on an go detectors, you don't get the depth you may need for the older coins.

Your time is the most important thing you have, why waste it on using a less than useful detector?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I take it you have the Silver uMax? If so, replacing the stock 8 inch coil with a new 12x10 web coil should give you several inches more depth. There are those online who claim this setup is deeper than the Tejon in mild soils. I plan to get a Silver sometime and try this setup myself just for the fun of it.

But if you go this route I'd contact dealers and make a good deal including a free scuff cover. I've seen these combos go for as low as $139 new on ebay. Wheel N deal with dealers, I do all the time.

But like birdman and sandman wrote, the adjustable ground balance is the all-round best deal going. I personally wouldn't take $2000 for my Tejon if I couldn't buy another one.

But if your soil is fairly consistant your uMax should be fine. Also, these can be ground balanced by the factory so keep this in mind. You'd need to contact them first and they require a packet of your soil with the detector. This is how people get those so-called "Hot machines."

Like stated above, don't fall for the meter thing. If you really need to experience one than get a good one like that offered on the MXT or some similar VID machine. But I can already tell you that you'll start to depend on the meter and you'll miss good targets.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread