I have another question about the SE if you all dont mind.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another question about the SE if you all don't mind.

I took my SE over to a spot that has been hunted to death over the years and I was getting a lot of deep coin signals ( 10 inches + ) but when I would pinpoint I would either not get a signal or sometimes I would get a high ferrous reading. I'm using the 10 X 12 SEF coil and hunting in fast recovery, sensitivity at 22, iron mask off. Also, I hesitate to dig a hole there that I'm not positive about because it's in the lawn of a court house built in 1870. Am I missing the goodies by not digging the ones that won't pinpoint that deep and where I get the high ferrous reading when I pinpoint, am I just picking up a target near a coin or is this something that usually happens and I need to pass it up??? Thanks for listening.

DANGLANGLEY

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I have another question about the SE if you all don't mind.

No question your first mistake is using a large coil on a machine you don't know and at a place that digging many holes is a concern. The stock coil is plenty deep and would make things at least a little better to deal with.

As for the deep targets, if they are tight short signals and are good from all directions I'd say they are worth digging. I can't help you with the PP being it's different than the earlier explorers which I use.

Airtests aren't good for much but if you play a little scanning coins it may or may not duplicate what you are hearing and give an idea of what is going on. One other thing to try is maybe cut a small neat plug, signals on the explorer tend to change one way or the other when the plug is out.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
No question your first mistake is using a large coil on a machine you don't know and at a place that digging many holes is a concern. The stock coil is plenty deep and would make things at least a little better to deal with.

Thanks, I was thinking that could be the problem. I bought it slightly used ( 7 hrs. on it ) and that was the only coil that came with it. I tell you what though, that thing will pick up deeper than you want to dig, lol... Thanks again

DANGLANGLEY

Irontask

Mar 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab/ Explorer ll/ Sovereign/ Tesoro Tiger Shark

Dan,I agree with Iron Patch.I used the SEF coil briefly and didn't like the balance or the pinpoint area of this coil which is off from the standard round or Pro coil.I would use the 10 inch coil with a good pinpointer.A nice lawn isn't a good place for on the job training with this new coil.I'm happy with my 1050 coil.I use a X1 Probe,Bullseye ll,and a Pistol Probe.Good Luck Ron

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
As for the deep targets, if they are tight short signals and are good from all directions I'd say they are worth digging. I can't help you with the PP being it's different than the earlier explorers which I use.

I to would have to agree with this one. If they are good from all directions then it is worth investigating. Broken sounds and only from one direction would most likely be junk or rusty nails in my opinion and you don't want a hole to China in a manicured lawn.

HH

DJH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggin jimmy hoffa said:
Iron Patch said:

I to would have to agree with this one. If they are good from all directions then it is worth investigating. Broken sounds and only from one direction would most likely be junk or rusty nails in my opinion and you don't want a hole to China in a manicured lawn.

HH

DJH

That's why the Sunray X-1 is great, you just have to stick the thing in and find out.

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008

i might be mistaken, but i think turning on pinpoint puts the machine into all metal mode and if there's a stronger ferrous signal next to a coin for instance, the iron or other surrounding targets that are no longer being disced out would come through and overlap with the ''good'' signal. pinpoint works better when there are no other targets close to the keeper signal, and the point iron patch made about the bigger coil only clarifies this as you have a wider range of detection. as for the solution...try pinpointing without pinpointing. i believe it's called the,"minelab wiggle" LOL It's where you wiggle the coil back and forth (small wiggles, 1,2 inches)over the good signal and use the line of the middle of the coil as a reference point. try placing a stick on the ground where the signal peaks, then turn 90 degrees and repeat the process. X marks the spot! works for me sometimes, GOOD LUCK!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread