I have come to expect the unexpected

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
This has been a week of firsts for ME. Found a bank that is so poor it has to send out the contents of the coin counter EVERY Thursday morning, I got there Thursday afternoon of course. Yesterday I went to two small towns barely big enough to have banks- first one one bank just sent 2 boxes back to the FED cause they been in the vault for a few years and noone wanted them- but they sold me the bag out of the coin counter. Next bank, no halves and when I asked about the coin counter was told its all automated and we can't even get into it (lazy teenybopper), I asked if the head teller was there- her reply was "Like, I am the head teller"- God help them haha. Second town had to wait for the head teller to get back from lunch but got another bag out of the counter- problem was they had to recount by hand and there was one coin that she pushed aside quickly and when I asked about it she said it was an odd coin and was not a half- I told her if the bank had given someone $.50 for it that I would buy it but she wouldn't even show it to me (Ben or Walker I'm sure, or maybe it was sposed to be my first Barber). At least she missed the '64. Now today I was trying to scrounge up some coin to play with and I ran into this right before closing.
Old bank, head teller very strong and loud. I asked for halves, how many? I say as many as you got, she says how many? I said ALOT. She procedes to give me the rundown on how this bank operates and some very interesting history. YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME NOTICE IF YOU WANT ALOT OF HALVES, THEY ARE LOCKED UP IN THE VAULT IN THE BASEMENT. AND IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SILVER YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK, WHEN I TOOK OVER AS HEAD TELLER MY FIRST JOB WAS TO CLEANUP THE VAULT- THERE WERE BOXES THAT HAD BEEN DOWN THERE 20 YEARS AND THE FED MADE UP BUST OPEN EVERY ROLL AND COUNT THEM TO SEND THEM BACK SO ALL THE SILVER WAS PICKED OUT BY EMPLOYEES. THESE BOXES I HAVE NOW HAVE BEEN THERE ONLY 2 OR 3 YEARS AND THEY ARE ALL CIRCULATED AND NO SILVER. So I bought the $14 they had topside and asked if she could have $1000 upstairs for me Thursday. I tried to ask exactly how much was in the basement but she skirted the issue with if you want $1000 let me know, if you want $2000 let me know. I thought I would sample $1000, and if them boxes been there a couple years they are likely alot better than searching my marked coins again from the FED. I know I gotta dig through them sooner or later but I figure the later the better, maybe I will get some help from other CRHs around haha. BTW she made it clear I need to be there as soon after 10AM Thursday as I can and pick those up cause she don't like haveing any more out of the vault as necessary. Think if I take in donuts it will soften her up a little- she is like a drill sgt, might make her think I probly don't have an acct. there which I don't- but I will if the first grand pans out haha.
I was only able to scroung $105 today and no keepers. Prospects are looking good though, wonder if I can find some other banks that age who haven't cleaned the vault yet. That lady said there was a solid silver box- the stuff dreams are made of. HH all, Mark

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ME_CO said:
and there was one coin that she pushed aside quickly and when I asked about it she said it was an odd coin and was not a half- I told her if the bank had given someone $.50 for it that I would buy it but she wouldn't even show it to me (Ben or Walker I'm sure, or maybe it was sposed to be my first Barber).

It was probably a foreign coin or a token, I find those all the time in coin bags of halves. Usually they will show it to me at least though if I ask to see it.

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Maybe but it was very suspicious cause she was very closed fist about the whole thang. I plan to head that way again before Christmas and clean them bags out again- I might even turn into the MEman and buy the whole counter contents haha. Love them small towns- we have some in the coin counter do you want them? I was in a bank downtown this morn- I was the only one in there besides the teller and the SG. Asked about halves- NO. Asked about the coin counter- well there's probly some in there but I'm not gonna get them. Since they weren't busy I tried to get a lil educatin. When the bag gets full you just send it off? Yes. Ifn I leave you my name and # could you call me instead and I will come with cash? Are you an acct holder here? No. File 13 right after I left the building haha. HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread