I have Dads Garret Discriminator circa 1977, excellent condition - kinda... help

petewp

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2010
First off, Greetings to all!

My n ames Pete and I have dear old Dads Garret Discriminator from 1977. Its in excellent condition actually. OK - it eats up a slew of AAA batteries, but it works. Ive found an old Shlitz can o' beer thats probably older than the detector.

My quandries are these...

1. wow all those dials, one goes all the way around like the hand on a clock and doesnt stop - is that broken?

2. I wish i had a manual i have no idea what they all do.

3. The meter works - along with audible tone.

4. I have a feeling a few knobs might be broken or malfunctioned - but alas, im excellent with a soldering iron and it all looks simple enough inside. Its all there - i just think maybe it needs some resoldering, tightening, etc.

Can anyone help a total but eager new-guy to get this thing up working [maybe it already is i dont know] an d help me know what the dials do?

thanks all in advance!!!

Pete

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What model is it ? Most all detectors are discriminators so that don't help.........does it have a model name on it or put a picture of it up .that would help................Garrett has most of the manuals you can see and print on his web site and if it is not listed they say to call them and they will get you one or help you out.

Attachments

• garret-top.jpg
    garret-top.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 257

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call "Sue" at Garrett. Actually, some of the old machines had two turn and three turn knobs. My old D-Tex was that way. Call Sue.

OP
OP
P

petewp

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2010
Keppy said:
What model is it ? Most all detectors are discriminators so that don't help.........does it have a model name on it or put a picture of it up .that would help

OK until I post a pic, this is the visual description...

8" disc [or there abouts] colored white

gold extension rod that connects the disc sensor to the control box [adjustable gold rod]

the box is about 12-13" and he dials are ONTOP - not on the end as shown in the above pic.

color scheme of box is gold with an ornate old-time kind of font that is brown lettering if i recall.
The lettering is reminiscent of the old gold rush days. there are about six dials [black].

The gold rod i spoke about does continues PAST the control box [which sites ontop of it] and then turns up and literally does a 180 so the tip is now facing BACK at the sensing disc.

At the tip that curves over the control box and points back at the sensor pad is this curious thing:

A small red button. Apparently you push it in for something but I dont know what.

does this help at all folks?

Thanks in advance!!

Pete

OP
OP
P

petewp

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2010
I think my Dad got it at Edmund Scientific in 77. I believe back then it was $350.00

Hope this helps.

Pete

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Not untill you give us a model name or and picture you gave us no idea at all about what you have..

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 231
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 224

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is right, we need a name or such so we can tell what you have. A call to Garrett might be inorder incase nobody here remembers it.

OP
OP
P

petewp

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2010
Woops, wow was i off...

its a FISHER 550d VLF. Im googling but the manual is unobtainable it seems

Pete

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....I had a real good feeling that No Way was this a Garrett......I have had Garretts since 1970 and even bought some that are from the late 1960's and the Garrett colors have always been either Gray or Green....especially since Pete mentioned that it was from the 1970's........LOL.......Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread