I have got a strange 1787 George III shilling... counterstricker M.A.S.. What that?

sg4kent

Nov 7, 2014
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• new3 012.JPG
    new3 012.JPG
    789.6 KB · Views: 116
  • new3 014.JPG
    new3 014.JPG
    695.8 KB · Views: 118

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's definitely an interesting coin. I believe that the counter stamp on the coin means Massachusetts.

there is a period after each letter, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with Massachusetts.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It originally was silver, 'til someone painted? it over. Generally, if your coin was in very fine shape, it would be worth only around $25. Could be more with the counterstamp...or less.

OP
OP
S

sg4kent

Nov 7, 2014
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is not painted. Rather, it looks like somebody plated it with a gold layer to make it look like a gold coin and as the wear of the coin stripped away the gold at the "normal wear spots", the silver inside came out again.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the gold plated, may have been plated and counterstamped to commemorate an event or person with those initials.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was gold plated, why didn't all the plating come off by wear, like you said?

It could have been plated many years after the coin circulated, so was already a worn coin. And then it circulated again wearing off some of the plating. Usually when a coin is countermarked it's the mark that holds the significance, and if it's a genuine coin, then obviously it had value too. To gold plate it seems odd, but there's no arguing because it's pretty clear that is what's going on. It certainly would not pass as a counterfeit gold, so someone definitely had a method for their madness. Things like this you can do the diagnostics to know what it is, but that doesn't necessarily tell you what you have.... in the sense of why it was done. Also, with the letters spaced that much it's probably three separate punches and not a single stamp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread