I have no words...

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has taken me sometime to think and just get it out of my system. Friday morning I realized I was robbed. Someone stole over 1K in rolled coin from my car and 6 solid rolls of 90%. I did file a police report.... Nothing yet. It was a stupid mistake and I will learn from it. I think this occurred on Thursday at my local Wal Mart and I thought I locked my car. Clearly I didn't. I meant to dump the rolled coins earlier on Thursday but "life" happened and I decided it to postpone it till Friday. Right now I hope they needed more than me.. By no means I'm saying I don't need the 1K, but for that person to do that... Just hope they had a great reason to. I will give it a few more days and call for an update on my report.. Just wanted to get this out of my system.... PS. I am more upset over the loss of those rolls than the 1K rolled coins..

Upvote 0

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you good luck in getting them returned! Hopefully the local banks can keep their eyes peeled for anyone trying to deposit this exact amount.

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could be kinda hard. There are so many branches locally that I don't visit plus within my area at least 15 Coin Star machines... But I will give and talk to the ones I do visit...

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Stay AWARE of your surroundings.That also means making sure the doors are locked if you are in the habit of keeping valuables in your car.If you present an opportunity on a silver platter,sooner or later somebody will take you up on it.You learned a lesson,be glad it wasn't in a worse manner.

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check with Walmart security? Maybe they saw something on camera. Sorry for your loss.

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost had a similar experience. My truck was in my driveway and I forgot to lock it. Someone went thru my wallet and stole $60 in cash but didn't see the $1000 in halves in the back seat. People suck!!

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about that theft. My dad was a huge collector and when he passed we felt his home was not secure enough so we transferred everything to my sister's new house that had state of the art alarm system. A few days later a tornado came through and blew up her house. The next morning we went back to check what was left, turns out that sometime during the night a low life or two went in and stole a bunch of stuff. A lot of it was old coin collections. Cops said it was probably kids. We asked them to let the banks in the area know in case the "kids" came in to turn 1000's of loose coin into bills. Never was found. Sad some people resort to steal. Even sadder we can not leave our vehicles or homes unlocked anymore . Sorry for rambling Oquario79 , stealing others property hits a nerve. Hope they catch those responsible for yours.

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check with Walmart security? Maybe they saw something on camera. Sorry for your loss.

The officer involved mentioned he was going to go to the Wal-Mart shortly to review the footage. This was on Friday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about that theft. My dad was a huge collector and when he passed we felt his home was not secure enough so we transferred everything to my sister's new house that had state of the art alarm system. A few days later a tornado came through and blew up her house. The next morning we went back to check what was left, turns out that sometime during the night a low life or two went in and stole a bunch of stuff. A lot of it was old coin collections. Cops said it was probably kids. We asked them to let the banks in the area know in case the "kids" came in to turn 1000's of loose coin into bills. Never was found. Sad some people resort to steal. Even sadder we can not leave our vehicles or homes unlocked anymore . Sorry for rambling Oquario79 , stealing others property hits a nerve. Hope they catch those responsible for yours.

Thanks for the story. Obviously we dont expect for it to happen until it does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost had a similar experience. My truck was in my driveway and I forgot to lock it. Someone went thru my wallet and stole $60 in cash but didn't see the $1000 in halves in the back seat. People suck!!

Yes people suck. You always have good apples as well as bad apples. It is a lesson learned.. Talk about a hit in the gut...

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for all your words of encouragement. I will keep you guys posted. In the meantime. Picked up a box of halves on Friday that gave me 7 40%'s and one really cool looking 42 Walking Liberty. I also found my first foreign silver.. A 1962 Canadian Dime in my Dime box on Thursday. As well tell each other here. Congrats and keep stacking..

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're all probably guilty of having coins in our vehicles while we run all over town on errands. After a smash and grab in Houston a couple of years ago during lunch hour at a restaurant, thieves stole my backpack with some personal effects, my company laptop, and my very expensive to replace smart key for my Toyota. It was a rent car and it was locked but I should have put the backpack in the trunk or at least hidden it under a coat. After that, my wife chides me to cover up my coins with a towel when I have to park it somewhere with coins in it. Thieves are opportunists and will strike if there is an easy target. Sorry for your loss Oquario!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Oquario, that sucks. Hopefully they find something.

I don't understand the people that CRH in their vehicles. I've seen pictures of boxes, rolls, and wrappers just sitting there.

I don't know your situation, Oquario, but I hope this is a wake up call for other roll hunters who get a bit lazy with their security!

I don't valet my car with even empty bank bags in the trunk.

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Oquario, that sucks. Hopefully they find something.

I don't understand the people that CRH in their vehicles. I've seen pictures of boxes, rolls, and wrappers just sitting there.

I don't know your situation, Oquario, but I hope this is a wake up call for other roll hunters who get a bit lazy with their security!

I don't valet my car with even empty bank bags in the trunk.

Well it definitely is a wake up call for me. I'm calling the officer for an update tomorrow.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch! If it makes u feel any better my van got stolen with all my detecting gear and $350 in unsearched halves plus tools work credentials my drums etc. I got home from detecting ate dinner n nodded off for a bit in the couch before I could unpack. When I jumped up at four am the van and everything was gone. I still haven't recovered but more or less moved on n replaced $1500 worth of stuff n the vehicle $500 deductible out of pocket. Sorry to hear at least u still have wheels.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Best of luck getting it back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread