I have the location of sunk WW2 Wreck

May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all.

This is my first post on this forum and I have never been to this site before or read any posts in detail, but a web search I conducted threw back this site with the name of a world war 2 ship which was sunk in 1943 by a German U-Boat. The ship was part of a convoy and was transporting thousands of tonnes of copper and other metals and to date (as far as I am aware) has not been located by anyone.

I know this because before my Father passed away in October 2012, he had been working on a project to salvage the ship and retrieve the contents for sale on the LME. Needless to say the project never went ahead since he was the brains behind the project and all his knowledge relating to the wreck unexpectedly died with him.

My Father was a service man and had a career in the merchant navy, with many years experience in salvage operations, having worked for Risdon Beazely in the 70s and early 80s.
In the years Before his death he had built up a portfolio on the wreck and had identified a 7sq mile stretch of water where the ship lies. This information was gleaned from archive records, testimony from the rescuing ship and also from the account of the U-Boat captain.

The wreck lies in about 100m depth off the west African coastline and I have all the nautical maps and information on the location of this wreck.

If this information is of value to anyone on this forum, or by extension anyone else with an interest, please PM me for details.

Kind Regards
Andy S.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you do not have the exact location of the ship. That is also the area most troubled by pirates. Sounds like a adventure

ilchiusa

May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well at least it's a starting point..now you just need a rich investor, lots of spare time, good crew, at least 1 ship and best equipment out there..after have searched 7sq miles and found the ship there is not way you recover a cargo of copper with divers at 100m..

OP
OP
S
May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes ilchiusa, My dad had put together a strong team, with a survey vessel for the search phase and had a detailed business plan for all the required resources, just he never managed to get all the financing in place before he became sick.

I know the plan is to open the hull manually and grab the metal with mechanical winch.

There is no way I have the skill, ability or time to act on this plan, so I'm hoping someone has an interest.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If the ship is a liberty ship,it could carry roughly 11,000 tons of cargo.Copper goes for roughly 5900 a ton,that equals to 64,900,000.Good luck and go heavily armed:laughing9:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dad had put together a strong team / There is no way I have the skill, ability or time to act on this plan.

If the team was in place, do they know the location?
if the team was in place, can they not assist you?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Kanbe carried 3,500 tons of copper; or $20,650,000 at $5,900 per ton.
I'm not suggesting that the Kanbe is the OP's vessel, but it is a sample of what values were lost to U-boats in '43.
Don.....

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a fishing trip to me.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should be an adventure. Trouble is it will likely cost a boatload of silver to recover a boatload or copper at 330 ft depth

OP
OP
S
May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Mackaydon, it is the Kanbe. I Knew I came to the right place.
Sunk 8th May 1943; The Uboat captain stated that it might have broken in two from the torpedo hit.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lost 60 miles south-southwest of Monrovia, Liberia.
I can't imagine how many millions of $ it would take to search, salvage and sell that cargo.
Then there's the issue of who owns the cargo and getting permits to salvage.
Anyone looking at this 'opportunity' should take a good look at the political climate; history of coups, dictators, etc.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread