Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with enjoying a good deal on some precious metals.
It only becomes a problem if you start spending money that could be better spent on other things such as eliminating debt or keeping yourself taken care of.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I was really hoping that Silver would dip below $30 for a month or so. I want to buy some more too, but I can't bring myself to buying it over $30.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a year or two when silver hits $50 a couple bucks won't be that significant.
That's what I tell myself anyway. :-P

OP
OP
M

Myrick

Sep 21, 2012
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya i've been nabbing as many eagles as I can for 35 or less....

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good thing about buying silver while you also coin roll hunt is that you can cost average your buys across the face value you find.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found it interesting to buy foreign silver. Why?

1) If you are good you can get ahead of the dealer in ounces. Most dealers will set a threshold for all their foreign silver and just call it X%, sometimes it can be as high as 90%, sometimes as low as 50%. Either way, if you can buy only sterling (most pre-WWI British empire coins are sterling along with some other countries) you'll end up ahead in pure ounces.

2) You almost always get ahead numismatically. Many bulk dealers don't take the time to look up each individual coin in Krause or that country's equivalent to the Red Book, instead they get marked as just foreign and tossed in a bucket.

3) You can find much older, and much more interesting coins for little more than melt. For example, if you look hard enough you can find silver from the later reign of King George III selling for melt, based on age that's the same thing of finding a Bust or Flowing Hair US coin!

For less than the price of an Eagle you can get a Maria Theresa Thaler, a coin that's been circulating since 1780! (See Maria Theresa thaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have the silver bug... I just can't get rid of it.. :laughing11:

whiteslate

Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I'm 16 and I have a great job that pays well so I'm buying up lots, this week I got 45 merc's 2 WL 2 90%ken's a 1935 WL proof and a 1963 Franklin Proof as well as 2 OZ generic rounds and 5 2012 ASE...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion now is not the best time to buy, just a few short years ago I bought a lot when silver was under 5 bucks.

I hope that the price continues to rise, but historically it will plummet again. You may be able to get 5 times as much for your money if you have a little patience.

Nothing worse than buying high only to watch the prices drop. Good Luck.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hindsight is 20/20. If people can afford to buy at $30/oz more power to them. Why do you think the bottom is going to fall out on $30 silver?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hindsight is 20 freaking 20, love that phrase.

If the bottom falls out on silver- great - I'll buy more.

If the bottom falls out on silver - , I have a feeling it would be correlated to well performing dollar. In that case, my bank account will be awesome, and I will actually have some decent buying power with my greenbacks.

For now, I make modest bets against the dollar with my silver purchases.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to fall in love with silver especially generic's, it's nice to know you have it, it feels good in your pocket but if hoarding silver is truly an investment than you need to have the right mind set to know when to sell. If you never sell its not an investment.

OP
OP
M

Myrick

Sep 21, 2012
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I just want to hoard enough to sell at some point in the future, and in the process buy some property to live on. Its a large aspiration for someone who has grown up in the lower class. I am paying the rent for my parents these days with my job, yet I still put away some silver.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to fall in love with silver especially generic's, it's nice to know you have it, it feels good in your pocket but if hoarding silver is truly an investment than you need to have the right mind set to know when to sell. If you never sell its not an investment.

I am not selling for at least another 15 years. That is when I retire and hopefully will have quite the stash along with some gold thrown in for good measure. If something happens where the price
skyrockets then I may have to do some soul searching and research. Would probably sell all, place the fiat dollars in my safe and wait for a dip to buy more than what I had before I sold. That is
the only scenario that I have played out in my head. I do like the fact that it is available if needed though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions