Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have to sell my beloved 57 Nomad. Bummer but stuff happens. So, I go to the infamous Ebay. List my car and WOW, it sells. That was easy. Not - The guy retracts his bid and tells me he lost his job. OK, I can understand that, I guess. Put it up for auction again. Bam it sells, this time the guy contacts me and say's he didn't know it was in PA! What? You bid 25K on something and you didn't know where it was. Are you kidding I say. He say's "well sorry I even apologized".
Should I, yeah why not. It's up for the third time........ Sells, two days after auction the guy contacts me and say's "his money man say's its not worth what he paid" he will still take it though for 3K less! Ddidn't ask one question about the car before he bid. I am sick of EBAY! Called them and really got nothing. It's a binding contract if the auction closes and someone won, butttttttttttttttt what a pain to prove. Is it really worth going to court to prove?

Sorry just had to vent.

Brian

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know how you feel, I have sold car stuff on ebay for years until my bank account was cleaned out from identity theft, This was through ebay/paypal. This was a long drawed out process of getting my money back. I even had to threaten to sue my bank to cover business on that end.
I know of many people that never has problems, but I guess was the unlucky victim chosen on that day.
One thing i always had wrote in my sell, that the buyer had 24 hours to make a (nonrefundable) deposit of certain amount of dollars through paypal. It seemed to keep the more honest buyers in the bidding and if they chose to back out, than i would know it within a day. I also limited to buyers for car buying that they must have at least 10 positive feedbacks before buying. You almost have to design your own contract through the details and hope it thins out the deadbeat bidders.

Another thing, if you use a paypal account never open it up on your personal account. open up a paypal only account and keep your money low in there. the thieves are lurking and will clean you out.

You might want to try Craigslist, it's free and you get alot of tirekicker mail, but at least you have more control of the sale. I've had good luck with it and only use ebad pretty much now for checking the market on items that have already sold.

I hope the Bad Luck is over and you can Sale your Awesome Car.

Nova Treasure

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it sold 3 times on Ebay you should be able to sell it else where. Craigslist is OK. Try CarNet. Or a local guide. I bet you can sell it with a lot less hassel.

Ed D.

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nova treasure said:
I know how you feel, I have sold car stuff on ebay for years until my bank account was cleaned out from identity theft, This was through ebay/paypal. This was a long drawed out process of getting my money back. I even had to threaten to sue my bank to cover business on that end.
I know of many people that never has problems, but I guess was the unlucky victim chosen on that day.
One thing i always had wrote in my sell, that the buyer had 24 hours to make a (nonrefundable) deposit of certain amount of dollars through paypal. It seemed to keep the more honest buyers in the bidding and if they chose to back out, than i would know it within a day. I also limited to buyers for car buying that they must have at least 10 positive feedbacks before buying. You almost have to design your own contract through the details and hope it thins out the deadbeat bidders.

Another thing, if you use a paypal account never open it up on your personal account. open up a paypal only account and keep your money low in there. the thieves are lurking and will clean you out.

You might want to try Craigslist, it's free and you get alot of tirekicker mail, but at least you have more control of the sale. I've had good luck with it and only use ebad pretty much now for checking the market on items that have already sold.

I hope the Bad Luck is over and you can Sale your Awesome Car.

Nova Treasure

Good advice. Never thought linking Paypal to my account was unsafe.

Born2Dtect - I am still in the process of dealing with the last guy, but did think of Carnet or Hemmings.

S

stefen

baspinall,

I had just the opposite experience...sold my 1947 MGTC on Ebay with a 10 day ad...

Several bidders requested information and one bidder (the winner) contacted a local British Motor Works garage and requested a mechanical evaluation, pictures, and appraisal.

When all was said and done, UPS delivered 3 cashier checks and I shipped the sales receipt and title doc's after the checks cleared the bank.

A shipper picked the car up in California and delivered it to upper New York.

Happy as a clam.

If anything, I'd require a non-refundable deposit within 24 hours or sell to the next lower bidder. Also file a complaint with Ebay...they will blackball the bidder.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet is to take photos and place the ad in Deals On Wheels Hot Rod section. That way it cuts all the BS from people.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
One thing important to all readers on this thread is that PayPal/Ebay... doesn't care. You see, your $25k car is but a gnat buzzing in their ear. Meanwhile, they're making millions on others. One customer lost is really no big deal to them.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sad to say its not just the buyers its also the sellers , I bought an PAID IN FULL for a set of custom painted harley sheet metal $1,200.00...long story short the guy never gave me the goods after 30 days he pulled his ebay account an changed his phone number and stopped answering email .not only could I not get my money back or the items but neither could the other 6 guys he did the same thing to,Pay pal wouldnt an couldnt do anything , Ebay said oops sorry not our problem, I even went as far as going to the internet fraud division an they said we will look into it ,last time I heard from them.........my only hope is karma an someday somebody he did this to breaks his legs .

sorry bout the bad time your having threw `all this ,try Auto trader for classic cars you might have better luck .

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
baspinall said:
Ok, I have to sell my beloved 57 Nomad. Bummer but stuff happens. So, I go to the infamous Ebay. List my car and WOW, it sells. That was easy. Not...

I think eBay & PayPal make most of their money on the "no-sales"... especially those no-sales that end with the non-paying winner! I stopped selling on eBay ~3 years ago because of that.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was leary about e-bay for quite a while before I joined. Well, I started buying stuff and I decided this is what I will do and it has worked for me so far and I only had one problem, which I will explain. I send them an e-mail after I win the bid, asking for thier physical address, (I will not send payment to a P.O. Box), I always pay by U.S. Postal money order no matter what. Before I get the money order and the seller has given me his physical address, I research who is actually living thier which is easy.

Then I get the money orders and send them off express mail that way the payment is guarrenteed at the seller within a day or 2 max. There should be a very short period for the seller to get the item shipped, especially if he is using UPS/FedEx. I tell my sellers to send me an e-mail with tracking number.. and other than the one time everyhing has run smoothly.

Now to my only 1 issue. I bought an original 1976 Gibson Explorer from a seller in Miami, Fla. I sent 3 Postal Money Orders after talking to the seller not once but 3 times and we had good communication after the winning bid, after the money order sent and the day after it was mailed to confirm he got the money orders. I had already searched his physical address. Well, about 4 days later I called to see if he got the guitar shipped as I had not heard from him. He didn't answer his phone, I sent an e-mail, he didn't reply. I called 2 more times and no answer, I sent another e-mail which was still not answered. The last e-mail I sent him was that I was a Texas State Trooper and that being he wasn't going to reply back to my e-mails, I made contact with the Post Office and reported the money orders stolen and that I was flying personally to Miami, to meet with the local law enforcement there to press charges for internet and mail fraud, (which in the last e-mail sent, I stated what the jail term was if he was a 1st time criminal), Well, I still had no contact with him and I was actually going to fly down to Miami and find this guy personally about a month later I got the envelope the day I was to fly to Miami, unopened with the money orders in it. The letter was unopened and stamped, "return to sender". I went back to the post office and gave them the money orders and they gave me 2 new ones and I deposited them in my bank. Didn't cost me any extra money and I canceled my flight.

I knew after this guy quit talking to me after I told him I got the Money Orders sent that something wasn't right, and I wasn't going to be dooped out of $1,150.00 so I took immediate action. I was lucky to get my money back. I tell everyone to use Postal Money Orders and don't use PayPal, as e-bay OWNS PayPal. I have my bank info for PayPal as required by e-bay, but regardless of the amount I haev to pay to the seller, I ALWAYS use Postal Money Orders and I explain to the sellers why and they agree.

Of course I DON"T work for Texas State Police, but the seller DIDN'T KNOW THAT. One thing a criminal doesn't want to do is doop a Law Enforcement Officer, because in any case, they will definitly lose. I wasn't impersonating a law enforcement office but I called the sellers bluff and he took the bait and I got my money back. sellers never know who they are selling to, especially if they want to rip you off. I NEVER use PayPal. Those who use ebay take my experience and use Postal Money Orders to pay for your item, at least that way you haev a bot more protection in getting your money back. A postal money order is a federal document so keep that in mind next time using ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread