I just dug my first Confederate...

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I post the pictures :occasion14: and the video, I wanted to share a little history about the location where I've been finding these Confederate relics.

Cassville Georgia is a small town in my home county. During the Civil War it was not only the County Seat but it was one of the largest and most prosperous towns north of Atlanta. As the war progressed southward, Johnston, who was over the Confederates at the time, found the long running ridge, which cut through the heart of Cassville, a grand place to set up for battle. History is not unbiased, however, and trying to determine whether John Bell Hood's cause of retreat was warranted or not is no easy task. Some have told me that Hood, due to his various war injuries, was hooked on opium at the time and the paranoia brought on by the drug caused him to defy Johnston. Johnston went to his grave believing that Hood had acted upon false information. Many people believe that if Hood had followed orders, the entire war would have been different.
From my own personal research, I believe that Hood probably was influenced by his opium intake and I believe that Cassville was a missed opportunity for the Confederates.

Attachments

• 1864 map.png
    1864 map.png
    382 KB · Views: 167
  • angel flag.png
    angel flag.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 173
  • cass mus.png
    cass mus.png
    421.4 KB · Views: 164
  • conf graves.png
    conf graves.png
    497.1 KB · Views: 169
  • cassville cem.png
    cassville cem.png
    721.5 KB · Views: 156
  • minie ball.png
    minie ball.png
    751.8 KB · Views: 166
  • mystery lead.png
    mystery lead.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
  • rising cem.png
    rising cem.png
    766.8 KB · Views: 169
  • two flags.png
    two flags.png
    766.5 KB · Views: 164
  • block i button.png
    block i button.png
    492.6 KB · Views: 191
  • block i wet.png
    block i wet.png
    491.6 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 12
OP
OP
deerhuntinghippie

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason that I wanted to thank you was that I just finished reading the thread about a guy that went out of his way to post finds that were ebay purchases.
He got booted, but it made me think about all of us on T-Net that post our finds with pics or vids. Our community benefits when we all participate, and some of us put more effort into this than others. So, again, thanks for your effort.
And then you have the people who crap all over the system by posting fake finds.
I think we all should take a moment and think about this. I probably am on this site reading more than any other site on the internet, so maybe I am a little more ticked off than I should be, but when someone posts fake finds, it tarnishes our community.

To all of you who put effort into content that makes our site more interesting, Deerhuntinghippie, Sandman, Loco Digger, Casper, and all the others (you know who you are), hats off to you!
Man oh man, I have so many videos of me basically venting my frustrations after 5 and 6 hour long hunts with nothing to show for it. I'm not sure why folks post fake finds. Has to be an ego thing. Either that or they do it to get more subscribers on youtube. Who knows. I just enjoy metal detecting and I enjoy making videos even more.
But I really appreciate the kind words. Really, I do. Because I've caught flak in here for not posting pictures with my videos. I decided to start do so to attempt to please more folks. So this makes it all worth it.

Facebook: Zach Byrd Adventure Hour

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
While it is really easy to post pics, I have tremendous respect for those that post video.

I bought a GoPro this year and started using it on hunts, but after I found out how much of a pain it was to edit them down to something usable, I stopped taking it.

Any hard working MD'er will have long hunts that do not produce, but if you are like me, you enjoy getting out to swing and enjoy the scenery. My favorite place right now is a school that is right next to the bay. Early Spring or Fall mornings there is fog rolling in, birds flying around, it really is a gift just to be there. Add in the chance to dig some silver? Perfect morning.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another great video Zach :thumbsup: Your videos keep getting better and better... well done man. Huge congrats on you're first Confederate button.

-Brad

Last edited:
OP
OP
deerhuntinghippie

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it is really easy to post pics, I have tremendous respect for those that post video.

I bought a GoPro this year and started using it on hunts, but after I found out how much of a pain it was to edit them down to something usable, I stopped taking it.

Any hard working MD'er will have long hunts that do not produce, but if you are like me, you enjoy getting out to swing and enjoy the scenery. My favorite place right now is a school that is right next to the bay. Early Spring or Fall mornings there is fog rolling in, birds flying around, it really is a gift just to be there. Add in the chance to dig some silver? Perfect morning.
Thanks for this post. Video editing can be a pain and it is always time consuming but when I finish a video it's as rewarding as when I find the goodies with the detector.
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone.

OP
OP
deerhuntinghippie

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great video Zach [emoji106] Your videos keep getting better and better... well done man. Huge congrats on you're first Confederate button.

-Brad
Thanks so much man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread