I just found a 1938d Walker KEY DATE!!!!!!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2-6-09 (2).JPG
    2-6-09 (2).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 396
  • 2-6-09 (2).JPG
    2-6-09 (2).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 388
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: Ijust ound a 1938d Walker KEY DATE!!!!!!!!

On your other post, I said I think it's a Very Fine..

Chris

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap, I didn't look it up until you said it wasworth some money!!!!! Awesome I had no idea!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you must check a 2008/2009 red book. The prices may be different.

Also, I wanted to ask. In order for that coin value to be what the red book say does the
coing has to be grated by PCGS OR NGC?

DW

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Very sweeet find TF, WTG

Here is a site with a more up to date price.
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/PriceGuideDetail.aspx?MS=1&PR=1&c=733&title=Walking+Liberty+Half+Dollar

S

seger98

Darth Walker said:

Also, I wanted to ask. In order for that coin value to be what the red book say does the

DW

No it doesn't have to be graded by them, if some one is looking for a key date, then they should already know what they are looking for & how to grade them themselves, I buy coins & that's why I noticed the date right away, I'd grade it VF & value it at about $175.00 if I was to sell it, if I was to buy it, I would offer around $150, don't care what the grey sheet says, that's just what I would do.

Chris

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew about the 21's but had no idea baout 1938d. I have always collected coins but not so much half's. This is a nice adition to my collection!!!!! :icon_pirat:

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i would say EF too. it has some wear but the usual places that the coin wears looks good to me, sombody probably had it in a holder at some time. congrats..... hey if you really want to know have a coin dealer ship it to NGC and have it graded. a dealer in my area will ship for me and he charges me 30.00 per coin plus shipping and insurance. and i know this may seem steep to some but i only have a few graded a year and i don't want to pay the fees to join NGC myself. good thing about it though i was talking to a fellow collector today about how one dealer i know sells NGC certified coins sight unseen to buyers.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
That's a great score. I just looked online and there are coins in way worse shape than yours selling for 150+ on ebay.

You might consider having it graded by PCGS or NGC. It looks like someone had it put away and protected it from circulation.

If nothing else, keep it in an Air tite or intercept shield. Don't keep it in a flip or even a homeade cardboard/plastic holder.

At least VF. You can see almost all the feather clear on the reverse, and not much wear on the obverse.
Jim

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
with the amount of wear on the robe and the wear on the feathers (high points) I'd grade it f . but you need to take it to a reputable dealer and be willing to pay for an honest appraisal

S

seger98

I just wanted to point out something about it being slabbed, I respect everyones opinion on it, but I look at it this way. Let's say for the sake of argument that it's worth $175.00, you pay $30.00 to have it professionally graded, it's no longer worth $175 to you, it's worth $145.00 because you have $30.00 into it. Unless it's a truely rare coin, or a coin worth considerably more, say $500 or better, I myself I wouldn't have it graded. Please everyone, it's just my opinion.

But like jim4silver said, don't just put it in a folded coin holder!

Chris

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
seger98 said:
Darth Walker said:

DW

No it doesn't have to be graded by them, if some one is looking for a key date, then they should already know what they are looking for & how to grade them themselves, I buy coins & that's why I noticed the date right away, I'd grade it VF & value it at about $175.00 if I was to sell it, if I was to buy it, I would offer around $150, don't care what the grey sheet says, that's just what I would do.

Chris

I agree. and believe it could go a little higher.

Awsome find. Lucky.

Mojo

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find TF. VF Grade, but I'm a noob when it comes to grading. I'm guessing you found it in just a regular halves roll? :tard:

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HolyDiver said:
Sweet find TF. VF Grade, but I'm a noob when it comes to grading. I'm guessing you found it in just a regular halves roll? :tard:

Just in a CWI box, nothing special, the only other silver coin in that box ws a 1952d Franklin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread