I Just Had To Do It.....Took The ATX For Its First Snow Hill Hunt

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I Just Had To Do It.....Took The ATX For It's First Snow Hill Hunt

prt_zps9b4f7e4d.jpg~original

It was an exceptional windy day. Strong winds from the north blew down power lines, trees and some trucks off the highways. I was just getting tired spending too many days inside, so I headed to a south facing hill, known for tobogganing and sledding. I used the automatic tuning to get rid of as much EMI as possible, as I was still in Edmonton. I ground balanced the coil to the snow, (probably more to ground below the snow) then set the threshold to 4, as the machine was already a little nervous. I did not want depth. The ground was frozen underneath the snow, and I was hoping to just get the targets suspended in the snow, not at or below ground level. I set the sensitivity to 5. It worked GREAT! The coins and few junk targets gave a nice loud crystal clear audio, compared to the deeper ones, which lacked the clear loud audio. The iron check with a double bleep allowed me to leave one deep nail in the ground. I tried to get it, but the snow was already at about 12 inches, and the dirt was like cement.

sunset_zps9e24715c.jpg~original

The sun at this time of year sets at about 4:30 in the afternoon, and I got a photo of it. The temperature actually got up to +6C/42F and just about broke a record. I continued hunting until about an hour after sunset, and called it a day as the wet snow was freezing making walking up a hill both dangerous and difficult.

sunsets_zps4aae61c7.jpg~original

Here's the finds. Not too bad! Hunting in the snow is like hunting in the water........you pretty well dig it all, unless you are convinced that it is a large and/or iron target.

cdac8e1f16568ecb_m.jpg

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Jon I may try to get out in the ih cent field tomorrow with the pro and 5x8 coil. I know there is silver out there just need to get my coil over it and hear it in all that iron. It's going to be cold and windy but field will still be easy to dig with the sampson.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Go for it!:icon_thumright:

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're an inspiration!
I'm going to try that this weekend...

Top Member Reactions