cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got their message and read it because I thought it might benefit my company.

Right away I saw the "20% discount on final value fees" that sounded good till I read the rest.

This is what they expect me to do if I want to get this discount "Top Rated status also makes you eligible for these additional benefits on any of your listings that offer a 1-day handling time and 14-day or longer return policy with money back option"

I give a 3 day handling time (most of the time it is 1 or 2 days) and most of my auctions are NO REFUND ones. I sell a lot of broken things for gold recycling.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm a TRS. I offer returns & ship most things out within a day. The 20% discount isn't much. The good part about being a TRS is you qualify for the commercial rate on shipping printed through eBay. I shipped an item this morning that would have cost $20 if I had purchased postage at USPS or through Paypal....my cost was $11. That's an extra $9 that goes into my pocket.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the shipping discount that matters. My UPS store owner just commented that I don't ship out with him much anymore. I explained that his quote of $80 to ship a Dyson was $30 above my EBay shipping cost. But I'll use him when I don't feel like packing up something fragile or I'm lazy. But my Top Seller status is there with me offering the 3 day handling and no returns.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It's the shipping discount that matters. My UPS store owner just commented that I don't ship out with him much anymore. I explained that his quote of $80 to ship a Dyson was $30 above my EBay shipping cost. But I'll use him when I don't feel like packing up something fragile or I'm lazy. But my Top Seller status is there with me offering the 3 day handling and no returns.

That's right. Meeting the returns & handling time guidelines gets you the piddly 20% discount on fees. Being TRS gets you the commercial postage rate. It's my understanding you don't have to do both.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a TRS..I shipped an item this morning that would have cost $20 if I had purchased postage at USPS or through Paypal....my cost was $11. That's an extra $9 that goes into my pocket.
Now that is worthwhile but i never saw mention of it in their congrats message. I just used them this morning to print out something that costs me $2.54 at the post office and that is what ebay's price was to me. (just 1 ounce 1st class large envelope)

Is the discount only for heavy things?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, that's good! That is ironic, you sell already broken stuff, who would ask for a refund? lol. :laughing7:
I lost my TRS status in Feb, because I didn't have more than 100 sales. I was sooooo close, then the month rolled and the last month fell off, I thought I'd make it, but, I was even further away. :BangHead:

I still get a good reduced rate on the postage, but I mostly ship small light stuffs. Idk on the heavy stuffs. Their prices are going to come down in April, I believe.

I resigned myself to be happy, that at least I am, 100% in feedback. :dontknow: 8-)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right. Meeting the returns & handling time guidelines gets you the piddly 20% discount on fees. Being TRS gets you the commercial postage rate. It's my understanding you don't have to do both.
It's the difference between being a "top rated" seller and "top rated plus" seller. Top rated plus gets you the little ribbon and the 20% discount on final value fees. Top rated gets you the commercial pricing.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Now that is worthwhile but i never saw mention of it in their congrats message. I just used them this morning to print out something that costs me $2.54 at the post office and that is what ebay's price was to me. (just 1 ounce 1st class large envelope)

Is the discount only for heavy things?

Under USPS new rate change it's 2.60 for 1st class up to 8 ounces, $3.30 for 8 oz with .05 cent increase per oz. Pretty sure eBay 1st class postage is slightly less. Commercial rate savings varies depending on zone & weight. I'm in Alabama. I get the biggest discount for items that ship to areas close to me. The example I gave above the package shipped to Georgia. If It had gone to California my cost would have been around $18....to New Jersey around $15. The minimum discount covers eBay fees & packing materials. The larger discounts are gravy.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How ironic it is to see some of the same people who ***** and complain about ebay fees dimiss the 20% trs discount as inconsequential.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How ironic it is to see some of the same people who ***** and complain about ebay fees dimiss the 20% trs discount as inconsequential.
LOL, It saves me an around $50 on months when I actively list. You'll never hear me complain about it. I only complain when they take it away, that was last year.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. Its saved me hundreds of dollars - all because I ship within 1 day and accept returns on some items. Both of which are standard/good business practices. Its a no brainer.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
As much as I hate to fork over eBay fees I'm business savvy enough to know it's a bargain compared to running a store or renting space in an antique/thrift mall, especially when you consider the number of potential buyers. I'm not knocking the extra 20% off the fees.....I'm just saying it's insignificant compared to the savings I get with the commercial postage rate.

Its saved me hundreds of dollars - all because I ship within 1 day and accept returns on some items.

It's my understanding that any listing that doesn't meet shipping AND return requirements doesn't get the fee discount. I'm also reasonably certain that beginning May 1st you have to offer 30 day returns.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the difference between being a "top rated" seller and "top rated plus" seller. Top rated plus gets you the little ribbon and the 20% discount on final value fees. Top rated gets you the commercial pricing.

Dig, can you explain the 20% reduction in final value fees? I sold something for $100, and I paid $9 in a FVF. (BTW, I am so bad at math. My husband has a built in calculator in his brain, and that is what I normally use.

edited to add -- Do they figure out the discount later at the top of the invoice? I never even look at it. For all I know, they could just be billing me for stuff and I would be paying it. At the top of the invoice, it says Top Rated Plus discount. So they take it up there and not at each item?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig, can you explain the 20% reduction in final value fees? I sold something for $100, and I paid $9 in a FVF. (BTW, I am so bad at math. My husband has a built in calculator in his brain, and that is what I normally use.

edited to add -- Do they figure out the discount later at the top of the invoice? I never even look at it. For all I know, they could just be billing me for stuff and I would be paying it. At the top of the invoice, it says Top Rated Plus discount. So they take it up there and not at each item?
It's figured on your invoice at the end of the month under discounts and credits, as a whole not piecemeal.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! I guess I should look at the invoice once in a while.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It's my understanding that any listing that doesn't meet shipping AND return requirements doesn't get the fee discount. I'm also reasonably certain that beginning May 1st you have to offer 30 day returns.

Learn something new every day. Was looking at the seller updates & got into the TRS discount. There are categories where you get the TRS discount just for meeting the handling requirements. Right now it's just a few with bullion being the only one I remember, but with the 30 day return requirement there will be more added.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
One other thing to note. The TRS discount is only for the fees on the item itself. It's not applied to the fees on shipping.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not offering 30 day returns. I can't sit on money that long waiting. It's hard enough two weeks.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are changing it from 14 to 30 days, but not all categories. Plus on bullion you dont have to offer returns.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not offering 30 day returns. I can't sit on money that long waiting. It's hard enough two weeks.

Whats your return rate? Mine is only about 2%. All you have to do to discourage returns for buyers remorse is to add a 10% restocking fee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread