I know of several 40s homesteads that i KNOW havent been MD

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I know of several 40's homesteads that i KNOW havent been MD

there are several old homesteads that are at the bottom of a lake close to my house. TVA built a dam and flooded the whole valley in the 1940's for their power plant and i know these farms havent been hunted as they are under 30 feet of water. If i am not mistaken the state has changed their regulations to allow diving for treasure, i will have to do some more checking to be sure. if any coins are down there they would all be at least silver and wheats..im sure there are older ones there too. along with old pottery....there was a pottery mill not too far from here years ago called "Sand Mountain Pottery" and ANY of their pottery still existing is VERY rare and expensive, there is no telling what else could be found under the water there. maps of all the old homeplaces can be obtained through TVA.

Now the problem....... i do not dive or own a boat.... i Do have an underwater detector.... what should i do?

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: I know of several 40's homesteads that i KNOW havent been MD

How deep is the lake? I would find a friend with a boat and that can dive and go for it! Split the take.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Sounds like a lot of work and expense to find some stuff that most likely would not be that valuable. If the stuff was from the early 1800's then it might be worth it but even then it's not like it will be laying on the bottom of the lake.

Bob

Celtic Crusader

Jun 21, 2006

What are the dimansions of the lake? Do you think it's possible to get one of those yellow blow up rafts and paddles? Best of luck, CC

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

First off, you'd have to take diving lessons, find a diving buddy (you can't dive alone), and spend about $2,000 for quality gear. A decent boat for diving would be maybe $1000 to $10,000 or more in used condition.

If you went after these sites you'd most likely only find a few pieces of junk, lots of trash metal, and maybe more horseshoes than you'd ever need ;D

But it would be interesting and then one never knows what one would find. Maybe there is some cool pottery down there? I'd be tempted to get one of those underwater cameras (with a good underwater light), and take a look before going through all the work and expense.

Just my thoughts.

Oh one more thing, if you do dive make sure you take at least two pairs of wire cutters with you (and a buddy). Farms were known to have barbed wire fences ;)

Badger

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

I do know that all you need for underwater diving is:

-Diving equiptment and obviously to be certified.....DUH
-a diving partner
-at least a float or tube with a divers flag on it (keeps all at least 200' away, thats if they know the rules that is)
-a underwater detector
-a bag to but your items in

GL & HH,

DugHoles

catfishterry

Jan 22, 2006
Troy Il.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Vibra probe

Find someone with a boat and use a underwater camera for fishing and explore ;D the area first with that. My camera has a jack so you can hook up a recorder and record what you are seeing and study it in depth at your leasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread