I know what it is. But, who did it?

keepsake

Mar 29, 2009
east central Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I found this a while ago about 4'-6' down digging a drainage pit. It's an 1847 large cent, bored out to be a button(?). It was heated and held with some type of pliers, as can be seen by the witness marks, and bored out with what look likes the tip of a knife. The reverse looks to be in the better condition as far as definition goes. The "swirl" marks made during boring are also well defined. Would this be the work of natives or was this a common practice by all?

Attachments

• 001 (480x640).jpg
    001 (480x640).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 005 (480x640) (2).jpg
    005 (480x640) (2).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 002 (480x640).jpg
    002 (480x640).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 103
Thanks- Those look quite a bit nicer than what I have and are a good distance away from Wisconsin. I guess I thought that it might be a medallion/ button. Anybody strolling down Central Park West tomorrow? And passing the Museum of Natural History? Feel free to look in the basement and check out Chief Oshkosh's headress. Let me know...

Upvote 0
I'm not sure, but I have always heard that around here (Virginia) in the 1800's when a settler would erect a new structure, they would bore a hole in a coin and nail it to a rafter or other part of the house for good luck. I've found several of these old pennies near long-forgotten homesites--some with round holes and some with square, like they were put in with an old square cut nail.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back