harebearva

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2012
S.W. Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went out into the backyard to try out my detector for the first time and I learned a few things. You got to have patience, There's a subtle art to pinpointing, but I'm getting better, and the people who lived in my house brfore me liked to shoot...alot. I found more spent 22 shells than anything. Also found some non descript metal disc, some wire, and a penny. I'm also beginning to see the value of a pinpointer. My detector does pinpoint but I can see the shorter wand being very handy in a hole. All in all, It was fun and I can't wait till the next outing.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET. Practice makes perfect and patience is definitely a must. Your in prime CW territory being in Va. Just don't watch any of those MD'ing tv shows and you'll be alright.:) Good luck

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Harebearva,
we all started somewhere.

Keep working on it and learn what your machine is telling you.
Glad you had "fun", that is the most important thing. If you
had a good time things will get better.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have said, patience. Also practice. Last, the SOUND is the thing! All the other "helps" built into the machine are.... extra. Learn the sound. Plant goodies in your GARDEN.... along with trash, to learn the difference. TTC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting for 6 years and I am still a newbie, still learning....

Welcome to TN, you have questions just ask, members are very helpful.......

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome harebearva good to hear you are enjoying this great hobbie. Yes a pinpointer would help in finding your target faster. But pinpointig takes time like everything else. Let me make a subjection. Get a couple 5 gal pails and keep all your finds. Seperate your items. Since you are finding spent 22 casting those are brass put in one pail. All your pull tabs and can slaw you find gose into another then all the other scrap metal will go into another. Plus any copper pieces you find gose into another. These items will add up and before long you could buy a pinpointer with your finds. I have been doing this for years and I either buy something to use detecting or buy a new silver coin. Good luck on your next outing......Matt

OP
OP
H

harebearva

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2012
S.W. Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome harebearva good to hear you are enjoying this great hobbie. Yes a pinpointer would help in finding your target faster. But pinpointig takes time like everything else. Let me make a subjection. Get a couple 5 gal pails and keep all your finds. Seperate your items. Since you are finding spent 22 casting those are brass put in one pail. All your pull tabs and can slaw you find gose into another then all the other scrap metal will go into another. Plus any copper pieces you find gose into another. These items will add up and before long you could buy a pinpointer with your finds. I have been doing this for years and I either buy something to use detecting or buy a new silver coin. Good luck on your next outing......Matt

Sounds like a great way to clean up sites, and turn some junk into profit. I like it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions