tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing a little trip north of me and hit a antique mall. Saw this Elks tooth watch chain fob thing I think it is in a case for $12.50. It looked gold to me, so I bought it. I hit a chain store pawn shop on the way home and asked the young lady how much is this worth. She asked do you wanna pawn or sell it? I said I'd pawn it if it's worth anything. She did the test and said it's 10K and 6 grams, but she'll only guesstimate it at half weight being it looks like half the total is gold. She said the max she could do was $50. I told her I'll decline the offer and maybe I'll be back if I feel I need to. I really just wanted a quick assessment, but I did thank her for having a look at it. She said that's fine, as its all part of her job. I did see an Omega gold fill case 1970s era in the pawn shop, with a tune fork movement, but it was $290.and she wasn't able to budge on the price, because it was just set out. All the other watches were fancy looking Chinese junk. Seems these chain pawn shops are dealing a lot in these high style looking Chinese wristwatches lately.

Attachments

• 20200820_085938.jpg
    20200820_085938.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200820_085912.jpg
    20200820_085912.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 87

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It helps to know what you are looking at. Not all stores test unmarked “gold” looking Jewellery with acid testing so you have a great chance at scoring unmarked gold.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recognized it right away... The Eleventh Hour Remembrance...
Always was told the BPOE stood for Best People On Earth.
It may actually be Brotherhood of Paternal Order of Elks, or something like that.

It's been a long time, but I remember the Eleventh Hour remembrances.
Each Lodge may have a slightly different Prayer/saying/moment of silence, at the Eleventh Hour,
but it, and those who can no longer answer the roll call, are always remembered.

Nice find!

https://www.elks.org/lodges/LodgePages.cfm?LodgeNumber=92&ID=10459

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I have one of those BPOE ivory elk's "whistle teeth" like yours but mine is marked 10K. Not many know the elk actually have two ivory teeth.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree on the unmarked gold. Majority of estate dealers round here miss it - same with the thrifts.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I have one of those BPOE ivory elk's "whistle teeth" like yours but mine is marked 10K. Not many know the elk actually have two ivory teeth.
That they do. Got a lot elk hunters out here and when I worked at the mine in Leadville Colorado back in the 1970s half the work force was out during Elk season. A lot of BS being told on the car pool ride to work during those times. I once found a pair of cufflinks with two teeth set in 10k gold. No marks on those either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread