I love enders -Updated-

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up four boxes this morning. One has a code of "Dec 00" and the others have no code. I've been getting these Dec coded boxes for several weeks now and almost all have been junk, so I was glad to see I only got one this week. I opened up the coded box to end check and was surprised to find these enders staring back at me. I love knowing that it's not a skunk, but for some reason silver seems to gravitate to the ends with nothing in the middle many times, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Will go through the box tonight. Any guesses on how many keepers come out of this box?

Update
This box gave up a total of 7 keepers....(1) 90% JFK and (6) 40%'s. Not bad but was hoping for a little more.

Box 2 was a skunk and Box 3 produced (3) 40%'s. Will do the last box tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSCN1612.jpg
    DSCN1612.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I love enders

Are those the only enders in the box??? If so Ill guess 10 keepers. Seems to be that 1 ender=4 others. Hope its a way higher ratio though! :headbang:

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State

Mathmatically speaking, one in every 10 coins is an ender. So, two silver enders should mean 20 silver coins. I will guess 15, however.

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010

Well like JT said, 2/100 enders should equal 20/1000 for the box. Simple algebra. But like the others said it just usually doesn't work out in this straight line fashion. When I first started back in 2009 I had one box with 10 enders and I thought this could be my DREAM (100 silvers) box. Did great with 71 total, still my best box to date but missed the predicted mark by 29 coins. My best box with NO enders produced 13 silvers which I found incredible. Back to your box...if it was really packed in December 2000 this could bode well for you. But from experience I'll say you will not get 20, my bet is 11.

Jeff

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

JT10 said:
Mathmatically speaking, one in every 10 coins is an ender. So, two silver enders should mean 20 silver coins. I will guess 15, however.

I disagree with this logic somewhat, as sometimes you don't know you have a silver ender. From a mathematical point of view, it should be 20 silvers or more...

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Ok. This picture has me confused. I thought the silver ones ended in 1964. Is that right? With the exception of the half dollars.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Novapax said:
Ok. This picture has me confused. I thought the silver ones ended in 1964. Is that right? With the exception of the half dollars.

yes and the picture is of half dollars. half dollars were silver until 1969.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

ckrakowski said:
Novapax said:

1970 halves are also silver.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

Ok. If the coins are equally and randomly distributed, the probability that any one coin be at any particular position in a box is 1/1000. There are 100 ender positions. So, there is a 1/10 chance that any one coin be an ender. You can reverse the analysis so long as you keep the notion of probability.

If you see one ender, there's a 10% chance that it is the only Ag in the box. If you see two enders, there's a 1% chance that those are the only two Ag's in the box. There is a particular probability for any other number of Ag's at non-ender locations. It's too hard for me to figure out on a Friday afternoon though.

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Ok now I feel stupid. This is why we don't try to read and drive looking at a small screen. I totally missed they were halves. For some reason I was in dime mode.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sagittarius98 said:
ckrakowski said:
Novapax said:

1970 halves are also silver.

i do not think 1970 us half dollars were silver unless they were meant to be silver other then that they should be clad.. but i could be wrong and if i am somebody please correct me.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

ckrakowski said:
i do not think 1970 us half dollars were silver unless they were meant to be silver other then that they should be clad.. but i could be wrong and if i am somebody please correct me.

All 1970 US half dollars were 40% Ag by weight. There were much fewer minted that year, but all were the high grade Ag, Cu alloy over low grade Ag, Cu alloy.

Attachments

• 1970 Kennedy Half.JPG
    1970 Kennedy Half.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 543

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so there were both silver and clad half dollars minted that year?

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

ckrakowski said:
so there were both silver and clad half dollars minted that year?

There were only 40% minted in 1970. They were for mint sets only. The first year for Ni over Cu - the clad that we all see so much of was 1971.

Some sources still call 40% Kennedy halves "clad" for all years 1965 - 1970. That is because there are two alloys involved. The core alloy is Cu-Ag but a much lower grade. The outer alloy is Ag-Cu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_half_dollar

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so there was no clad half dollars minted in 1970 and only 40% silver half dollars?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

1970 were only 40%. They are harder to find because that year they were only made for sets. In 1976 the S mint half dollar was silver as well. I think they made them in both 40% and 90% but I am not sure.

Golden Silver

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Dec 2000 is a great time for rolls!!!!! Most of the ones I get are 2011.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

golden silver said:
In 1976 the S mint half dollar was silver as well. I think they made them in both 40% and 90% but I am not sure.

Golden Silver

really i just bought one for $1.50 and the seller said it was clad. and looking at the edge it looks to be clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread