I love proving them wrong

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you all have probably been through the same or similar experience. Every once in awhile when I'm out detecting someone walking by will stop to ask me what I'm looking for. I'll tell them older coins and relics. Numerous times the response from them is a laugh or a comment about how you're not going to find anything here. For example I asked my landlord about 2 yrs ago if I could detect in the yard. She told me sure but that I wouldn't find anything. The one day while I was out in the yard detecting the mailman pulls up and starts talking to my landlord. He must have asked her what I was doing because I could hear her say "he thinks he's going to find burried treasure, hahahaha". That ticked me off but I just bit my tongue as she's an older woman that lost her husband a number of years ago in a bad car accident and so I feel sorry for her. I was also raised to respect my elders. Anyway, that day I decided I will not stop hunting this yard until I do find something half decent. Well, about 2 years later (about 1 month ago) I got my new coil and went out into the yard. After about 3 hours I found my treasure, a 1903 Indian head penny. I know it's not really worth much but it is to me. I took it and marched myself right over to her front door, showed her the coin and told her here is the treasure you said I would never find in the yard. Then thought to myslef who's laughing now ?

To all you treasure hunters out there, keep proving them wrong. It can be done in a friendly manner, without having to say much if anything at all.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
People always ask silly questions like "What's ya doing". I just give them the generic answer about metal detecting and move on with life.

I figure if I have to prove anything to anyone, then I'll just prove to myself that I'm a better man by doing what I want and screw explaining myself to everyone that has a generic comment that I won't find anything.

Showing my finds to a non believer does not prove anything to them or me. Except that I'm loosing valuable detecting time. Waisting my time with people like that just proves their point.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
now what did you prove -- now she might think hey there could be valuible stuff there and hes taking it from me --and say "i want you not to detect there anymore" as landlord its her right -and then you've lost your rights to hunt there (great)-- better to say nothing pocket your prize and laugh all the way to the bank ---often so long as bitter and greedy type folks think your wasting your time its ok --but if you start finding and showing off good stuff then the twin monsters of Envy amd Greed kick in a they will go out of their way to ruin your "fun"

remember this -- you don't have to "prove" anything to anyone to be "right" -- and if their a wrong "fool" leave em that way --being surrounded by fools is to a wise mans advantage --because their "easy pickings"---smarten them up and it becomes much harder to get ahead of em. --- leave stupid folks as stupid folks -- its to your advantage.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I get that some times...One time I was detecting an old yard with my brother early in the morning.There was dew on the grass so you could see were we had walked....well I started to follow my brothers trail and he says "your not going to find anything there,I allready cheaked that area" right about then I got a good signal and dug an 1892 barber quarter. ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
trust me --I dealt with my share of morons and naysayers -- I just "putter along" letting them thinking --what a dork and loser --as I quietly pocket the old silver coins and such --- then later on when I show my finds to my metal detecting freinds , we all laugh at them --- the naysayers laughed with nothing in hand -- I laughed with valuible goods in hand -- now whos ahead in that game? :icon_thumright:

you never tip off your hand while playing poker . --- and you never boast and brag to landowners of your finds (unless you've worked up a split deal )--often its best to say as little as possible about your finds (if you show hunting buddies be sure NOT to tell em where you got it at )--if asked be honest and do not lie to the land owner about what you found -- other wise -- if they don't ask --don't tell . -- just say thanks .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually Get, "Do you find anything Good" ?

When I tell them, Most are Surprised.

No doubt a few Think I'm B.S.'ing them.
Especially when I Mention Gold & Diamonds.
& Slot Machines

It's rare I get the "You won't find anything"
anymore unles it's Followed by,
"It's been Hunted to death" which I Love to hear.

The last one said he lived in an Older Home
& Was Wondering If it would be worthwile.

He semed Surprised what I Was finding, Talked
about his Construction Buisness, asked About Different Detectors
& What to get, Then said he Probably Won't
But was just Curious.

He's appartently been Hired to do some work at the Fairgrounds I
am working so I'm sure we will Talk again. & Maybe I Can do the Detecing
& He can Satisfy his Curiousity more while Constructing ;D

Gotta Find out about his "Older Home" :P

If they ask If I found a treasure Yet
I Usually Laugh & Say Nope
I'm still a treasure hunter Not a treasure Finder :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nope no need to be mean -- just let em think what they like SWR -- you just keep on cleaning up the silver as the moron naysayers mutter behind your back and walk away -- folks who ask and are polite and nice are not "morons"---(i you can tell if they are honestly interested -- with them be polite and straight up with em )--but the rude braying jackass types -- let em walk off do not wise them up ==let em be dumb --in 99.99% of the cases its a total waste of your time talking to em anyway.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
nope no need to be mean -- just let em think what they like SWR -- you just keep on cleaning up the silver as the moron naysayers mutter behind your back and walk away -- folks who ask and are polite and nice are not "morons"---(i you can tell if they are honestly interested -- with them be polite and straight up with em )--but the rude braying jackass types -- let em walk off do not wise them up ==let em be dumb --in 99.99% of the cases its a total waste of your time talking to em anyway.

& If by the end of the Conversatin They are Thinking
"I can respect this Guy/gal" , they just may volunteer some good leads.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you start showing the property owner what you are finding they may get upset that you are finding it and keeping it. So they may stop you from detecting their yard. So it is always best to show them the junk and a few of the newer coins instead of the oldies. As this will let you come back for find more. Just my opinion...Matt

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I really don't want to be the one to have to say this but I have to believe that everyone else is thinking it to. You marched up to her door to shove an old penny in her face and declared that to be a victory? I realize that to us finding such a thing is a real treat. But to her you found the equivalent of about 50 cents in "treasure". She's thinking "whoop de do". How many hours has she seen you searching this area to find this so-called "treasure"? So she's right... you are crazy. You wasted hours and hours to find a treasure that is worth about 50 cents.

But we're all crazy. The economics of the situation are obviously lost on us. Except for the gloating, I would have done the same thing that you have done. I would have "wasted" countless hours searching for treasures that will never even come close to paying me back for my investment. But that isn't the point of what we do. You didn't help her understand this by your gloating. You helped prove her point because she is looking at the situation from a different viewpoint. If you want to win, help her understand why you like this hobby and that you don't do it for the money. Then when you share your special penny with her she might actually get a little excited about it.

Keep hunting that yard! There is more to be found!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it when a homeowner gives me permission to hunt but says "it has already been hunted so you won't find anything"
I just laugh inside......do they actually think that one guy who spent 3 hours on their property found everything that has been lost over 100+ years in that yard....lol
to me that is a challenge!

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
Getting in someones face with your finds and talking negative doesn't prove them wrong as much as it turns them off from letting anyone else detect their property.

Would does being negative really prove as an ambassador to the hobby?

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
I couldn't care less what other people think; I simply pursue my own interests, and leave them to pursue theirs.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
It's the phrase "Proving someone wrong" that gives the impression of "Being in someones face" that says "I WILL SHOW YOU" attitude. Not that that's what really happened. You just might have actually said "Hey, look what I found. There is still some good stuff here."

The phrase, "I love proving them wrong", sound like ,"I'm going to show YOU UP no matter what".

I would vouch for my carrector if I had any, enough said?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread