🥇 BANNER I LOVE THIS HOBBY.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I have only been at this for a little over a year and a half but I have been incredibly fortunate to be able to find some amazing old coins and some really nice jewelry while at the same time meeting some interesting and genuinely good people. I am also a big history buff and I love researching my finds. I have been working a 350+-year-old farm field that I was fortunate enough to get permission on- for about a month now. I have found some cool buckles and a few World War II era coins ('43 Merc, some wheats, etc) but what I've been really hopeful for is my first LC. So this past Sunday I got to the field at around 7 AM with my AT Pro. I was running in Pro zero mode with iron disc at 35 and wide-open- just listening for repeating mid and high tones. It's common for me to make my best finds of the day either in the first 20 minutes or my last 20 minutes of the hunt and this day was no exception. Only 15 minutes after I started sweeping the coil I got a solid silver dime hit at about 4 inches. As I dug the hole I was excited about the possibility of finding another Merc or maybe even a Barber. When I pinpointed the target it was an odd shape and bigger than a dime. It was also very thin. When I held it up to the sunlight I immediately recognized the Pinetree- then flipped it over to see "1652 XII." At that time I dropped to my knees and realized that I had a once-in-a-lifetime find- a colonial Massachusetts Pine Tree Shilling! Someone dropped this coin in this field a century before the Declaration of Independence! I will be going back to the farm again soon but I doubt that I will ever top this amazing piece of our history. I have already rinsed it off and put it in my son's collection where it has now taken over as the centerpiece. I wish you all the same luck that I had this past Sunday on your next hunt. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• image-952613132.jpg
    image-952613132.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 948
  • image-3673674407.jpg
    image-3673674407.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 876
  • image-1973235100.jpg
    image-1973235100.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 85

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Banner, Suggest you have it Graded,by NGC, Would be worth the Cost- Congradulation -goldnugget

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding me??????????? Where the heck is mine!!!! Everyone else is getting Mass Silver. I've seen more Mass silver dug this year than in the past 5 years on this site. BANNER!

Every time I see one found I think the same thing but it also gives me hope. They're popping out of the earth so frequently lately.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on a find of a lifetime & welcome to the 1600's club!

I know how you feel as I dug a 1663 - 1 Reale Spanish Cob this summer, was totally in shock when I saw the cross as I was expecting a headstamp or junk.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh sure....they make four of 'em and you stumble across one in a field.......That's just like my kinda luck! I'd rather have luck over skill any day! Congrats for sure!!!!!!!!
Paul

iwhitley

May 3, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer, Trex Sand scoop, Piranha Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! You just never know whats in the next plug you turn over!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fantastic, sweet find!

Nicely done,

Lanny

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
A few more pictures, before coin was fully rinsed off. I let it soak in a small bowl of tap water for 3 days before drying it off and putting it in my safe deposit box! Thanks again to all who looked in and commented. As a side note, I did find one more coin at the farm before calling it a year- a 1750 (I believe) copper George II farthing. What an amazing site- can't wait for the ground to thaw next Spring. Happy Holidays and happy hunting, all.

Attachments

• image-2951567692.jpg
    image-2951567692.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image-16328008.jpg
    image-16328008.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 124
Jan 11, 2014
upstate new york
Detector(s) used
whites coin-master pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were do you find out such information about 16oo's farmer fields and there location? I am having a very hard time finding cellar holes and Fields any older than my 1898 topographic maps can trace. i currently am trying to get permission for a 1600s plantation in which also held a significant part in king Phillips war. and how do i go about getting permission for metal detecting. This farmer already has a negative opinion about metal detector users. This is a very large place(hundreds of acres) that helped shape America and is a one in a lifetime spot. I really don't want to blow it.

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find! I have been detecting for 40 years and I'm just getting started. So many places and to few batteries!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find and excellent condition. Hope you entered into the find of the month contest with Garrett? Aren't those coins extremely rare and valuable?

That's what I'd do, they're giving away a at gold this year.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinknig the same thing!

Fantastic find! Congrats on the banner.

I think that because the winters have been worse the last 3 years, the frost has pushed them closer to the surface

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mi$terG, BIG Congrats on what is easily the find of a lifetime! Check this place over really carefully especially old shade trees to sit under during the hot weather.Hope you get another one.HH.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread