I made a Butterfly Terrarium (UPDATED AGAIN) - THREE Successful Endings

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, We have been having these Black Swallowtail caterpillars on our Rue bushes for years and two years ago I did photograph the sequence of life , well, this year we have had numerous Black Swallowtail and for the first time Giant Swallowtail, which I have never even heard of before, must be uncommon.

Well, both are on the same two bushes, we lost most of them to Daddy Long Leg spiders and birds, so we decided to harvest them once they left the Rue bushes for turning into pupae's on the side of the house or whatever.

We saw a TV program where a classroom of kids had done this, so after looking on the web we decided to try it and hopefully save these beauties.

Now, the main reason for constructing the terrarium is so they "make it" it seems when they are this late in the year they will not hatch until spring, and many die by birds, bugs and cold weather. We are hoping the three that are in the aquarium now will make it, there are still 3 more caterpillars on the bushes, and I expect them to leave them tomorrow or Friday.

We will keep it outside and mist it to keep humidity up. If real cold weather comes, I will put it in the garage for those days (50* or so in winter in the garage).

Ok, so I took an old aquarium that my Dad used for turtles, and mounted a plastic strip across the top. I wax string tied on three new apple tree branches and then glued them to the plastic strip and bottom of the aquarium to secure them.

Since I previously had a small terrarium that I had put the three caterpillars in late last week, I had to tie those smaller branches that they attached to , my new bigger more secure branches.

I did that, felt good about the sturdiness and then went down to the pond and harvested some sphagnum moss and covered the bottom to help maintain moisture.

It has a nice lid, so there it is, one butterfly terrarium!!! We had to use a bigger aquarium because the website said once they hatch, they need room to open up and spread their wings or else they will die. So the previous small terrarium was insufficient in size.

I included as the last photos what they should look like when they emerge as Butterflies................... :)

Don

Attachments

• life sequencereduced.jpg
    life sequencereduced.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 548

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I made a Butterfly Terrarium

Very Commendable, God's creatures need our help.

Fossis................

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

Very informative excellent post. Thanks for posting it and good luck. Keep us posted.
Van

DAVINCIDOG

Jul 29, 2007

Looks like you did a great job! I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DAVINCIDOG said:
Looks like you did a great job! I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor.

I agree! I love butterflies too, have a garden just for them.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cool shots Don! We have butterfly bushes and thistle bushes on the property that attract them. We get lots of winged visitors but I rarely see the caterpillar stage, so that's pretty interesting.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

I love a good rescue mission! There was allot of effort on your part to save them. Please let us know how they make out. How's the turttle?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As a young boy I used to have a butterfly net and would love scampering around the countryside catching them, looking at them and letting them go. My dad built me a wooden framed box with screen on all the sides that I started putting caterpillars into - I had no idea what kind of butterflies or moths they would turn into, but I can tell you it was fascinating to watch as they went through the many stages that ended up as a beautiful flying creature.

My absolute favorite (and it must have been a very big deal to me) was when I "hatched" a cecropia moth from a caterpillar. I lived in a very laid back small town and I can still remember when the teacher at my school (I was probably around 7-9 years old at the time) came and told me my mom had called from home and the cocoon was opening in the middle of the school day. They let me run home (lived about 4 blocks from school) and I got to watch it as it appeared all wrinkly and ugly looking and then went back to school - by the time I got home at the end of the day, it was fully opened up and a beautiful moth!

If you have kids, you should make it a family hobby - I know I absolutely loved that kind of stuff and could spend hours looking at caterpillar and butterfly books and then going out trying to find them :)

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Don...that's a great idea and it will be enjoyable to watch the results of your efforts. Keep us posted!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Soooo KEWL, Don! You're always busy with something. 8)

Thanks for showing us. :)

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last September, I constructed this post on the Black Swallowtail caterpillars turning into pupa and hoping that next spring (NOW) there would emerge a beautiful butterfly.

All winter long the terrarium sat in my one flowerbed on the south side of the house and I protected it from rain getting in, I really thought the setup looked too dry once winter was over and always allowed some water in it, but I was not expecting success.

I just checked on the Terrarium yesterday and noticed the half inch of rain we had was in the terrarium also, I just recently relocated the terrarium since the sun was so bright and hot in the area I had it all winter long.

Well, my grandson just got home from Kindergarten and was in the backyard and looked at the terrarium and screamed "there's a butterfly in there" YES, it worked, I am really surprised, I thought my little experiment of constructing the terrarium with tying the pupa onto twigs would not work but at least one has hatched today.

All photos shot thru the dirty glass, so quality not the best.

Don

Attachments

• BlackSwallowtailHatched4.jpg
    BlackSwallowtailHatched4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 350
  • BlackSwallowtailHatched3.jpg
    BlackSwallowtailHatched3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 346
  • BlackSwallowtailHatched2.jpg
    BlackSwallowtailHatched2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 351
  • BlackSwallowtailHatched1.jpg
    BlackSwallowtailHatched1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 360

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: I made a Butterfly Terrarium (UPDATED - A Successful Ending)

That is too cool! So glad to get to see the ending! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Took some photos as quickly as I could after I put a sugar water laced Lilac flower cluster in the terrarium. As soon as I put it there the butterfly flew to the flower cluster.
There are still two more pupa in the terrarium, maybe they will hatch this week also........

Dob

Attachments

• BlackSwallowtail8.JPG
    BlackSwallowtail8.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 388
  • BlackSwallowtail7.JPG
    BlackSwallowtail7.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 409
  • BlackSwallowtail6.JPG
    BlackSwallowtail6.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 347
  • BlackSwallowtail5.JPG
    BlackSwallowtail5.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 346

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

You are your Fathers Son for sure! He would be proud! :thumbsup: I honestly have never had that much luck, as hard as I try to save the critters. WOW! Great job! Amazing!

Is it the Butterfly you thought it would be? I love the colors.

Between the little rescued turtle that survived and now the butterflies, you amaze me. Perfect, just perfect! :)

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Don...what can I say that hasn't been said. That has turned out to be a fantastic project and one your Grandson will never forget! :thumbsup:

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

How cool!

I'm going to send a link to this thread to my daughter - she has three, the oldest is nine. They'll be fascinated!

Very very cool!

wtg,
Nan

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And then there were TWO

My Grandson got a bigger thrill today, he got off the school bus and immediately went to the backyard and looked at the Butterfly Terrarium and screamed, "There is another one!!!" "This one is YELLOW".

Well, one of the Giant Swallowtail Pupa's emerged today and my Grandson spotted it while it is in the stage of slowly opening up its wings for the first time. I was hoping it would open then fully, but evidently this must take some time. I waited for about half hour, shot a bunch of photos but the Giant never spread her wings fully yet.

So we now have two varieties of the Swallowtail that have made it from Butterfly to egg, to caterpillar, to pupa, and to complete the cycle, back to a butterfly. One a Black Swallowtail and one a Giant Swallowtail. :)

I guess now there is a possibility of a few more hatching this week, I am really surprised at the success of this and I know my Grandson is tickled pink over it. I printed up photos for him to take to Kindergarten today to show his teacher and classmates.

Don

ADDED: at sunset I went outside to check on the butterflies and the Giant Swallowtail is now full developed, so luckily the Canon takes great photos even in low light! What a beautiful butterfly. Funny thing is, I have never seen one in my area before, not till we saw the unusual looking caterpillars on our Rue plant did I find out they were in this part of the country.

Attachments

• GiantAndBlackSwallowtailreduced.jpg
    GiantAndBlackSwallowtailreduced.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 263
  • GiantSpreading1Reduced.jpg
    GiantSpreading1Reduced.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 257
  • GiantSpreading2reduced.jpg
    GiantSpreading2reduced.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 244
  • GiantSwallowtailFullyEmerged2.jpg
    GiantSwallowtailFullyEmerged2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 277

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: I made a Butterfly Terrarium (UPDATED AGAIN) - TWO Successful Endings

wow! gorgeous pictures and just keep coming! tooo cool! I bet he will be the hit of the class when he takes the pictures in! Thanks for sharing them with us too!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: I made a Butterfly Terrarium (UPDATED AGAIN) - TWO Successful Endings

WOW! It took a ton of patience to pull this off, and love of nature. Thanks so much for saving (so far) 2 of Mother Natures rare creatures. I love the sequence, leave it to the Canon to help out!

Kyle must be a Spring time hit! Wait until they see the new pictures tomarrow! You do have them printed don't you? :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread